The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Rhetorical Question

I started to type this as part of another thread, but decided that would come across as a slam on an individual. WHile I have been involved in a controversy on another thread about spirit of the rules (As detailed prior to Rule 1 in the NFHS publication I might add), I do sometimes wonder if referees actually read the Rule Book and Officials MAnual in their entirerty. Cover to cover (heck I even read the ad's). It frustrates me to no end when I see officials that don't know the rules.

I can argue with Nevada Ref about the application of a rule, but I don't ever doubt that he knows them and I hope he feels the same way about me. But sometimes I really wonder. Does everyone take pride in this avocation enough to prepare themselves properly to the best of their ability?

READ THE FREAKIN RULES!!!!!!!!

Thanks. I'll get down off my soapbox now.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 01:52pm
Courageous When Prudent

It bothers particularly when someone only reads part of a rule or when they read a rule then make exceptions or assumptions that aren't in the rule book.

That's why sometimes I will ask a poster what they read to make the have a particular stance on a rules interpretation. On rare occasion they will point out something that I missed.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
I started to type this as part of another thread, but decided that would come across as a slam on an individual. WHile I have been involved in a controversy on another thread about spirit of the rules (As detailed prior to Rule 1 in the NFHS publication I might add), I do sometimes wonder if referees actually read the Rule Book and Officials MAnual in their entirerty. Cover to cover (heck I even read the ad's). It frustrates me to no end when I see officials that don't know the rules.

I can argue with Nevada Ref about the application of a rule, but I don't ever doubt that he knows them and I hope he feels the same way about me. But sometimes I really wonder. Does everyone take pride in this avocation enough to prepare themselves properly to the best of their ability?

READ THE FREAKIN RULES!!!!!!!!
Thanks. I'll get down off my soapbox now.
Ignats75,
I certainly don't have a percentage for you, but based on my experience, I would say that a relatively small percentage of folks read the book cover to cover. While I, too, at times disagree with nevadaref, I know that if I am going to argue, I better have a rule/case citation for the play.

Generally, about the only time most folks look at the book after they pass their test (us Ohioans only have to worry about that twice in our careers), is when they discuss a particular situation that happened in a game.

Many things change -- minor things -- over the years. But, I have done my share of HS varsity and MS games with 20+ year guys who still referee via the 1990 Rules Book. Many of them rely on those of us who do read the books each year to be their "tutors" during preseason scrimmages.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 02:59pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Generally, about the only time most folks look at the book after they pass their test (us Ohioans only have to worry about that twice in our careers), is when they discuss a particular situation that happened in a game.
There is another side to that coin. My impression of some guys I work with is that passing the test and calling the game do not even relate that closely to each other.

While studying for the test: "What's the answer to that one? Oh? Hmmm..... Well, I'm not calling it that way."

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

i thought the original post contained a rhetorical question.....no repsonses needed....
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
i thought the original post contained a rhetorical question.....no repsonses needed....
I didn't even realize there was an OP. I thought it was Snaqs signature line!
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Well, we have "veterans" who haven't gone to a camp in years...consider calling 3 seconds a "game interrupter'...consider "common sense" is better than any rule book...and you don't have to call lane violations because everybody steps in early, so there is no advantage gained...and they've been doing it this way for 20 years, so don't dare argue with them.