The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Game Film

I've been having my girlfriend (best one I've found yet, she actually likes basketball) come and video my games. It has been nice to be able to go home and watch the game right after because I remember the calls and situations better.

Now that I am starting to accumulate film I was looking for better ways to break it down. For those of you who break down film, how do you go about doing it? What are some ideas you could share that may help me? What are some things that you have learned?

Thanks
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Upload to Youtube, then give us the link so we can dissect it for you.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

lol....that may take awhile for me to get an hour plus video up on youtube....and I'm not sure sure you'd want to watch, except for a good laugh now and again. But maybe I could put a few plays/situations.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 12:57pm
#thereferee99

Focus on your positioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I've been having my girlfriend (best one I've found yet, she actually likes basketball) come and video my games. It has been nice to be able to go home and watch the game right after because I remember the calls and situations better.

Now that I am starting to accumulate film I was looking for better ways to break it down. For those of you who break down film, how do you go about doing it? What are some ideas you could share that may help me? What are some things that you have learned?

Thanks
You may want to focus on 'did we get that call right?',
but take a look at the positioning of the crew, where attention was, were you anticipating what could develop on the play?

That play where you were lead, that blew up in front of you, were you well positioned? Too close to the action? Too close to the end line?

When you were trail, were you putting yourself in the best position to make the call? When player drove from wing did you step out on to the court to get the angle? When the drove from top of key did you step down to achieve the same?

Of course you can examine you appearance/demeanor/mechanics, and as suggested, have others do the same.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

I watch a game film three times:
1) did i/we get the play right? (correct call, no call correct, call incorrect, and no call incorrect)
2) i watch my positioning - did i get proper angles, did I move to improve, did i anticipate the play and have good position prior to the play happening?
3) my mechanics - signals, reporting, whistle control, etc....
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 03:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
I've been having my girlfriend (best one I've found yet, she actually likes basketball)
Quick - marry her before the men in the white coats come and take her away!
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
You may want to focus on 'did we get that call right?',
but take a look at the positioning of the crew, where attention was, were you anticipating what could develop on the play?

That play where you were lead, that blew up in front of you, were you well positioned? Too close to the action? Too close to the end line?

When you were trail, were you putting yourself in the best position to make the call? When player drove from wing did you step out on to the court to get the angle? When the drove from top of key did you step down to achieve the same?

Of course you can examine you appearance/demeanor/mechanics, and as suggested, have others do the same.
It is a great thing to break down tape, if u know how. I would suggest finding someone who u know or have heard of that breaks down tape with quality. A very thorough break down can take over 3 hours!! No lie! U have to be really focused to do it. If u r not wait till next time.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 08:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who Would Have Guessed ???

Quote:
I've been having my girlfriend (best one I've found yet, she actually likes basketball) come and video my games.
Lois Lane actually likes basketball?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 08:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Lois Lane actually likes basketball?
Lana Lang wasn't a fan. She had to go.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
It is a great thing to break down tape, if u know how.
What are you, 12?
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

I don't have any kind of cool system. I just sit down with my notebook and start watching. I'll keep rewinding and re-watching until I run out of notes to take. Then I prioritize the stuff I've noted that I need to change/fix.

In your case, Mr. Man of Steel, if you are from where I think you're from, you might ask at your next association meeting. One of the SLC associations had a meeting last year where a D1/D-league official walked them through the process of breaking down tape.