The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Archos DVR for Game Film?

Anyone here use an Archos DVR to get their game film?

I heard people are using these instead of DVDs or VCR tapes.

Its basically a hand held media player that also records to an internal hard drive.

You have the camera guy plug it into the camera (I guess with a splitter?)

Supposedly you can set to record at a certain time (Camera dude doesn't have to turn on, press record etc)

Pick it back up post game.

Watch that night.

Anyone have one? I'm curious about any pitfalls? Video quality? File Formats? Cable compatibility issues?

Here is a link
http://www.archos.com
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

605 WiFi model Looks like this:

Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
605 WiFi model Looks like this:

Alot of the guys I work with have them and love them. I am going to get one soon.
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

I've got an archos DV700 - use it for doing IR thermography surveys, but have never tried it for game films.....will have to give it a try!
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

1) I don't have the current Archos product because I had one of their earlier products, the Jukebox 6000, and I had nothing but trouble with it. The AC stopped charging properly, the battery life was terrible, when running with the AC adapter the Jukebox would turn into a space heater. I believe from reading about the current products that these problems were all due to an incorrect AC adapter being shipped with the product, but it was never recalled and the Technical Support people never picked up the phone or responded to an email or voice message. In addition, the firmware was buggy.

Their current products look terrific, but I would check with current owner reviews before buying any of their products.

2) How many cameramen are willing to let you plug into their camera?
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
1)
2) How many cameramen are willing to let you plug into their camera?
Thats what I am as curious about although why wouldnt he?

Is there a universal cable as well (yellow RCA?)
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Larks - I'm all for technology, but I have a couple of logistic questions:

How do you get the unit to the cameraperson before the game? How do you get it back after the game? Do you trust your unit is still safe, even if they go the snack counter and bathroom at halftime? I assume there's a connection that allows a hookup to a TV, otherwise it might be hard for you and your partners to see much detail? At some point, I would assume you're going to want to download the game off the unit unto a DVD, so why not get it in that form to start with from the school?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Larks - I'm all for technology, but I have a couple of logistic questions:

How do you get the unit to the cameraperson before the game? How do you get it back after the game? Do you trust your unit is still safe, even if they go the snack counter and bathroom at halftime? I assume there's a connection that allows a hookup to a TV, otherwise it might be hard for you and your partners to see much detail? At some point, I would assume you're going to want to download the game off the unit unto a DVD, so why not get it in that form to start with from the school?
The reason I am interested in this thing to begin with is because we RARELY can get game tape or DVDs in Ohio. Usually we have to beg and then by the time they get around to it, no one cares anymore. Also, they have to expend effort (burning the extra DVD) mailing etc. This way - its plug and play.

Agreed, the screen is small but you can output to a TV with it or I'm guessing copy the file to a laptop or PC (I think it has built in WiFi). I'd watch mine on my laptop if that is the case.

If this thing works, the only pitfall is trusting the camera guy with it. The upside is huge...if you are into tape anyway.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
If this thing works, the only pitfall is trusting the camera guy with it. The upside is huge...if you are into tape anyway.
That would seem to be a big pitfall, at least to me. I don't know if I could trust a couple-hundred dollar device with some of the camera guys I've seen...

I usually have not had trouble getting a tape made, but there are some schools that are harder to get tapes from than others. What helps is checking ahead of time with the coach or AD to see if there will be someone taping, then bringing along a blank tape with a self-addressed, stamped envleope. The less they have to do, the better.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

CNET First Look at the Archos AV700

http://reviews.cnet.com/Archos_AV700....html?tag=pdtl

First look at the AV500
http://reviews.cnet.com/Archos_AV500....html?tag=pdtl
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

the archos is great....and video is the best tool a referee could use to get better. When I worked high school games I would simply walk up to the kid on the camera and ask him if I could plug in my camorder and asked him to start it. Didn't work all the time but worked a lot and was well worth it.
Old Sun Dec 27, 2009, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

Just bought one!

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just bought an Archos 7 IMT. Huge sale on Amazon.com right now...basically 50% off!

I have a good friend who uses one of these, and says he has about an 80% success rate with getting the camera guy set up and work.

To keep it from getting stolen if you don't trust the camera kid, the plan is to set it up with to start recording at/before gametime, put it in a bag, and use luggage locks to keep that shut. Then, lock the case itself to the bleachers/pole. After the game, you just go pick it up. If you trust the adult/student manager (if they steal it, you know who took it!), then just give it to them and have them bring it to the locker room after the game.

Excited to see how it works!