Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

headwear

How do you guys interpet this rule?
Wristbands and headwear must meet the following guidelines:
headbands and wristbands must be white,black,beige,or a single solid color SIMILAR to the jersey and must be the same for each item and all participants.
My question is Team A has all blue uniforms with yellow trim. Team A's girls are wearing yellow pre-wrap around the head. Is this Legal? How do you interept SIMILAR? This was open for discussion at our meeting today. Whats your take?
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEohioref View Post
How do you guys interpet this rule?
Wristbands and headwear must meet the following guidelines:
headbands and wristbands must be white,black,beige,or a single solid color SIMILAR to the jersey and must be the same for each item and all participants.
My question is Team A has all blue uniforms with yellow trim. Team A's girls are wearing yellow pre-wrap around the head. Is this Legal? How do you interept SIMILAR? This was open for discussion at our meeting today. Whats your take?
Not legal in Iowa. White, Black, Beige, or predominate color of jersey. Yellow is not similar to blue.

-Josh
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 11:41pm
M.A.S.H.

Yellow... illegal.

Similar to the torso of the jersey.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

What color was the jersey? Blue. What color was the pre-wrap? Yellow. Illegal. Remember that the rule says white, black, beige or single color similar to the TORSO of the jersey.... nothing about the trim.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 11:42pm
This IS My Social Life

Fashion Police

Quote:
. . . SIMILAR to the jersey?
Should read: "...similar to the torso of the jersey" (3-5-3a)
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF View Post
What color was the jersey? Blue. What color was the pre-wrap? Yellow. Illegal. Remember that the rule says white, black, beige or single color similar to the TORSO of the jersey.... nothing about the trim.
Thats the issue ,the rule as written does not say the predominate color of jersey it says SIMILAR. The predominate color of the jersey is blue and the trim is yellow. The yellow is SIMILAR to the color of the TORSO of the jersey which includes yellow. The rule does not state the trim can or cannot be included. Yellow is in the jersey. This was brought up because the rule with undershirts says "SINGLE SOLID COLOR SIMILAR TO THE PREDOMINATE COLOR OF THE JERSEY". I'm not arguing just want to know what you would do....I agree rule the should state the same predominate color of jersey,but the word SIMILAR had some people in a tizzy. Its funny how you can add or remove a word and confuse everyone. But I do understand both sides or the issue.

Last edited by NEohioref; Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 12:29am.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Per the NFHS rules the torso of the jersey must be a single solid color from the base of the neckline to the bottom edge of the shirt. That is the color which must be used for comparison to the headbands and wristbands. The color of the trim or the numbers or the lettering is not relevant.

From the NFHS Uniform pdf:
A. JERSEY COLOR
1. The “torso” is the portion of the jersey from an imaginary horizontal line at the base of the neckline extending to each armhole, down to the bottom hem of the jersey and from side seam to side seam.
2. The torso of the jersey must be a single solid color (white for home and dark for visitor).
3. A visible manufacturer’s logo/ trademark/reference is NOT permitted.

NOTE: A “locker-tag” near the bottom of a jersey designed to be tucked in, is not interpreted as “visible.”
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thats the issue ,the rule as written does not say the predominate color of jersey it says SIMILAR. The predominate color of the jersey is blue and the trim is yellow. The yellow is SIMILAR to the color of the TORSO of the jersey which includes yellow. The rule does not state the trim can or cannot be included. Yellow is in the jersey. This was brought up because the rule with undershirts says "SINGLE SOLID COLOR SIMILAR TO THE PREDOMINATE COLOR OF THE JERSEY". I'm not arguing just want to know what you would do....I agree rule the should state the same predominate color of jersey,but the word SIMILAR had some people in a tizzy. Its funny how you can add or remove a word and confuse everyone. But I do understand both sides or the issue.
1. The concept of 'torso' is not difficult, and it does not include the trim. Yellow headbands are illegal with blue jerseys, trim notwithstanding.
2. The other word you (and others) want is 'predominant', not 'predominate'.