The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 29, 2003, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
Tonight I was at a college woman's game and I saw something that really got me curious.

Todays trend in headwear for players with longer hair is to take some "pre-wrap" ( gausey elastic strechable material) and twist it up like a small rubber band and place it on their head to keep their hair from going into their face / eyes.

Tonight before the opening tip an official made all the players wearing this " pre-wrap' to remove it before the game started.

When I got home I tried to look it up but came up with nothing showing that this is illegal. To me its much safer than wearing a plastic brett.

Has anyone seen a rule stating that this is not legal headwear????
Old Sat Nov 29, 2003, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

It's not for the purpose of "jewelry" and it's not dangerous. I don't see any reason not to allow it.

Z
Old Sat Nov 29, 2003, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

How are they wearing this item? Like a headband all the way around the head, or like a pony tail holder? In either case, I don't see how it would be illegal.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2003, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

They are twisting it up lengthwise so it is no wider / thicker than a rubber band. They are wearing it all the way around their head like a headband, Not just around their ponytail. To me its safe and causes no harm and is not worn as jewlrey. It is not visible from very far away.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2003, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BOBBYMO
They are twisting it up lengthwise so it is no wider / thicker than a rubber band.
One year in our association, someone interpreted this stuff as a "rubber band" and we were told it was illegal. When I realized what they were talking about, I went to my mentor and asked what we should do. She said, if it isn't a rubber band it isn't illegal, so I just ignore it now. Maybe your partner had heard that it was a rubber band. Good grief don't we have more important things to worry about?!?
Old Sat Nov 29, 2003, 10:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Good grief don't we have more important things to worry about?!? [/B]
Uh, yeah.

But,what we don't know in this sitch was what direction the official who banned them had ben given. If his supervisor told him that they were a no-no, then that's all she wrote.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2003, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tonight I was at a college woman's game and I saw something that really got me curious.

Todays trend in headwear for players with longer hair is to take some "pre-wrap" ( gausey elastic strechable material) and twist it up like a small rubber band and place it on their head to keep their hair from going into their face / eyes.

Tonight before the opening tip an official made all the players wearing this " pre-wrap' to remove it before the game started.

When I got home I tried to look it up but came up with nothing showing that this is illegal. To me its much safer than wearing a plastic brett.

Has anyone seen a rule stating that this is not legal headwear????
Specifically not allowed in NCAAW. See one of the interps published last year.

Old Sat Nov 29, 2003, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

"Specifically not allowed in NCAAW. See one of the interps published last year."

..... Do you have a copy of this or could you please let me know where I could find it????

Thanks
Old Sat Nov 29, 2003, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
She said, if it isn't a rubber band it isn't illegal, so I just ignore it now.
I would argue rather that unless it is "a headband no wider than 2 inches and made of nonabrasive, unadorned (except for logo/trademark, see 3-6) single-colored cloth, elastic, fiber, soft leather or rubber", it isn't legal. (FED 3-5, Exception 2). Maybe this pre-wrap stuff falls into one of the exceptions listed above, but there's a lot of stuff that's illegal, not just rubber bands.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2003, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
She said, if it isn't a rubber band it isn't illegal, so I just ignore it now.
I would argue rather that unless it is "a headband no wider than 2 inches and made of nonabrasive, unadorned (except for logo/trademark, see 3-6) single-colored cloth, elastic, fiber, soft leather or rubber", it isn't legal. (FED 3-5, Exception 2). Maybe this pre-wrap stuff falls into one of the exceptions listed above, but there's a lot of stuff that's illegal, not just rubber bands.
"This Pre-Wrap Stuff"?? You don't know pre-wrap? It's the flexible foam stuff they put under tape when they do your ankle or wrist, so they don't pull off all the hair when the tape comes off. It's, non-abrasive, unadorned, single-colored, elastic, fiber.

I see your point, though, about not just rubber bands being illegal. In the particular conversation, those were the only two topics -- rubber and pre-wrap-- and we both knew we weren't talking about other things.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2003, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
"This Pre-Wrap Stuff"?? You don't know pre-wrap?
I know that there is such a thing as pre-wrap. But I don't really know what it's made of, or whether it would fit the list of exceptions in 3-5.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2003, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Specifically not allowed in NCAAW. See one of the interps published last year."

..... Do you have a copy of this or could you please let me know where I could find it????

Thanks
http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/basketball

look at the women's bulletins from last year.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2003, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
They are twisting it up lengthwise so it is no wider / thicker than a rubber band.
One year in our association, someone interpreted this stuff as a "rubber band" and we were told it was illegal. When I realized what they were talking about, I went to my mentor and asked what we should do. She said, if it isn't a rubber band it isn't illegal, so I just ignore it now. Maybe your partner had heard that it was a rubber band. Good grief don't we have more important things to worry about?!?
Are we saying that a rubber band in the hair is illegal?
Old Sun Nov 30, 2003, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Quote:
Apparently if it's around the head, as opposed to being around the hair, it's illegal. I don't understand it, and I don't check. But that's what we were told.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2003, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Quote:
Apparently if it's around the head, as opposed to being around the hair, it's illegal. I don't understand it, and I don't check. But that's what we were told.
Okay, I can live with that. I seem to remember that being mentioned a couple of years ago, but the way I read it, that's contrary to the rule. But I'm just having trouble picturing what BOBBYMO is talking about.