The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Table Doesn't Tell Officials That the Player Fouled Out

A1 called for a foul. Ball put back into play. Table now realizes that A1 has 5 fouls.

What should the table do? Do they want until the next dead ball to inform the officials?
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 12:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

2-11-3 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
A1 called for a foul. Ball put back into play. Table now realizes that A1 has 5 fouls. What should the table do? Do they want until the next dead ball to inform the officials?
2-11-3 The scorer shall: Signal the officials by using the game horn or a sounding device unlike that used by the referee and umpire(s). This may be used immediately if, or as soon as, the ball is dead or is in control of the offending team.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

2-11-11 NOTE 2. The procedure if a player who has committed his/her fifth foul continues to play
because the scorer has failed to notify the official is as follows: As soon as the scorer
discovers the irregularity, the game horn should be sounded after, or as soon as, the
ball is in control of the offending team or is dead. The disqualified player must be
removed immediately. Any points which may have been scored while such player was
illegally in the game are counted. If other aspects of the error are correctable, the
procedure to be followed is included among the duties of the officials.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 02:53pm
M.A.S.H.

Also, check out 2-11-11 Notes 2
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
2-11-11 NOTE 2. The procedure if a player who has committed his/her fifth foul continues to play
because the scorer has failed to notify the official is as follows: As soon as the scorer
discovers the irregularity, the game horn should be sounded after, or as soon as, the
ball is in control of the offending team or is dead. The disqualified player must be
removed immediately. Any points which may have been scored while such player was
illegally in the game are counted. If other aspects of the error are correctable, the
procedure to be followed is included among the duties of the officials.
I would like some carification on the last part. If other aspects of the error are correctable, the procedure to be followed is included among the duties of the officials. What does this meen exactly?
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
I would like some carification on the last part. If other aspects of the error are correctable, the procedure to be followed is included among the duties of the officials. What does this meen exactly?
Just what it says. If any of the action falls under the purview of the five correctable errors listed in 2-10, then the officials shall take the proper action.

Note that a player with five fouls, but who has not yet been disqualified by notification to the coach from an official is not a wrong player attempting a FT. The NFHS has ruled that such a player is the proper player until being DQ'd.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just what it says. If any of the action falls under the purview of the five correctable errors listed in 2-10, then the officials shall take the proper action.

Note that a player with five fouls, but who has not yet been disqualified by notification to the coach from an official is not a wrong player attempting a FT. The NFHS has ruled that such a player is the proper player until being DQ'd.
So can you think of a for instance for my simple mind. I had thought of the free-throw but had drawn the same conclusion as you stated. Just trying to get a hold on what this means in real life.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Sure, consider that a player with five fouls remains in the game for several minutes. During this time some other situation occurs which is a correctable error and this gets the attention of the officials and the table crew. At this point the scorer notices that the player should have been DQ'd a few minutes ago, but wasn't. The rule tells you to take care of the DQ now and allow all other action to count, with the exception of the pending correctable error. The rules-writers wanted to make it clear that a correctable error is never ignored because of some other factor. That's all that this is saying.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Got it. I was trying to read to much into it. Thanks Nevada
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow Scorebook not doing job

How was play able to continue, if the one player was DQ'd due to having 5 fouls?

I have done both scoreboard/timer & scorebook operations for the past 4 years at my Alma Mater. Every time I learned of a player having 5 fouls I immediately let the coach & floor officials know of the DQ.

Sounds like to me that those doing scoreboard/timer & scorebook need to learn their positions.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 08:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

If I Didn't Say It, You All Know That Mark Padgett Would Have Said It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Sounds like to me that those doing scoreboard/timer & scorebook need to learn their positions.
Sounds like they need to read the Kama Sutra.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Sounds like they need to read the Kama Sutra.
Not only read the Kama Sutra, but they also need to be properly trained how to do table operations.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:43am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Not only read the Kama Sutra, but they also need to be properly trained how to do table operations.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How was play able to continue, if the one player was DQ'd due to having 5 fouls?

I have done both scoreboard/timer & scorebook operations for the past 4 years at my Alma Mater. Every time I learned of a player having 5 fouls I immediately let the coach & floor officials know of the DQ.

It happens. As evidenced here.
Names redacted in the following situation:

3-pointer from the top of the key made it a 71-66 game with 2:39 to play. But the [Xs] watched as the [Ys] struck for five straight points in a 30-second span, four by [Y1] and a free throw by [Y2], tying the game at 71-71 with 2:01 on the clock.

[X1] hit a pair of free throws as part of his 14-point fourth quarter, but [Y2] and [Y1] answered right back with back-to-back buckets, finally giving [Team Y] the lead at 75-73 with just over a minute left in the game.

Ironically, the [Ys] should never have owned the lead. [Y1] re-entered the game with 3:02 remaining, but he had committed his fifth foul earlier in the fourth. It wasn't until he picked up his sixth foul that the officials claimed responsibility for the mistake and did not punish [Team Y], so [Y1]'s six points during the 9-2 run remained a key factor.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 03:10am
We don't rent pigs

Just the facts, please

Quote:
It happens. As evidenced here.
Names redacted in the following situation:

3-pointer from the top of the key made it a 71-66 game with 2:39 to play. But the [Xs] watched as the [Ys] struck for five straight points in a 30-second span, four by [Y1] and a free throw by [Y2], tying the game at 71-71 with 2:01 on the clock.

[X1] hit a pair of free throws as part of his 14-point fourth quarter, but [Y2] and [Y1] answered right back with back-to-back buckets, finally giving [Team Y] the lead at 75-73 with just over a minute left in the game.

Ironically, the [Ys] should never have owned the lead. [Y1] re-entered the game with 3:02 remaining, but he had committed his fifth foul earlier in the fourth. It wasn't until he picked up his sixth foul that the officials claimed responsibility for the mistake and did not punish [Team Y], so [Y1]'s six points during the 9-2 run remained a key factor.
This part is speculation. Y6 might have performed just as well. Who knows?

Lonesome Dove