The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

A1 is fouled by B1 while in the act of shooting. It is then determined that A1 had already been disqualified for his fifth foul. The coach gets a direct technical. A1 sits back down. What about the foul and where can I find it?
Barryb
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Under HS rules, any player from Team A who is eligible to substitute into the game may replace A1 and shoot A1's awarded FT(s). Then any player from Team B will shoot 2 FTs for the technical foul on Coach A. Team B is then awarded the ball at midcourt.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Same in FIBA - the substitute shoots the free throws for the personal foul. And Team A can't sub out a current player and then sub them in for the dq'd player until the clock has run again. (I hope that makes sense)

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
NCAA: Replace A1 with A6 first. Then B shoots the free throws for the T. Then return to point of interruption with A6 shooting 2 free throws. Continue as after any common foul free throws.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, Lotto. Check out NCAA 10-11-2b. Participating after disqualification is a flagrant T. Even in NCAA, flagrant T's are penalized by 2 shots and the ball. (Women's is the same, but they don't call it "flagrant" for some reason.)

So, sub A6 in for A1. A6 shoots A1's FT(s). Then anybody on Team B shoots the T. Then B's ball at midcourt.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

This fortunately isn't the NBA, where there is no such rule. In the NBA and CBA, the disqualified player can shoot the free throw in certain restrictions.

(In the NBA, if a team is down to five players because of fouling out, and a player commits #6, he stays in the game and a T is called. Every time he fouls, there's a T.)

Bobby
Deut 31:6-8
Old Tue Sep 23, 2003, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby
(In the NBA, if a team is down to five players because of fouling out, and a player commits #6, he stays in the game and a T is called. Every time he fouls, there's a T.)
Bobby, does the last guy to foul out stay in the game? Or does he get replaced by the first guy that fouled out? There's some wierd system in place, but I can't remember exactly what it is and I'm too lazy to dig out my NBA books.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2003, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby
Bobby, does the last guy to foul out stay in the game? Or does he get replaced by the first guy that fouled out? There's some wierd system in place, but I can't remember exactly what it is and I'm too lazy to dig out my NBA books.
This board is too boring when the only thing we are worried about is whether the last guy to foul out of an NBA game stays in!
Old Tue Sep 23, 2003, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry, Lotto. Check out NCAA 10-11-2b. Participating after disqualification is a flagrant T. Even in NCAA, flagrant T's are penalized by 2 shots and the ball. (Women's is the same, but they don't call it "flagrant" for some reason.)

So, sub A6 in for A1. A6 shoots A1's FT(s). Then anybody on Team B shoots the T. Then B's ball at midcourt.
My bad. I read the OP too quickly, thinking that A1's five fouls were discovered when B1's foul was reported. (In other words, the table didn't notice the five fouls at the time of A1's fifth foul.) In that case, I wouldn't call the flagrant T, since A1 hadn't been disqualified yet because of the table error. Your penalty is exactly correct in the situation the OP described, with the addendum that the women would take the ball in at the designated spot nearest where the flagrant T occurred. (I'm not sure where that would be! After all, A1 didn't participate after disqualification in a single spot. I'd probably put it in play at the division line anyway.)

Fortunately, here in NY, where HS girls play under modified NCAA rules, every T is two shots and the ball at the division line. So at least I would have made the right call for the games that I work...
Old Tue Sep 23, 2003, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cropduster
A1 is fouled by B1 while in the act of shooting. It is then determined that A1 had already been disqualified for his fifth foul. The coach gets a direct technical. A1 sits back down. What about the foul and where can I find it?
Barryb
Be aware that the technical foul can be called if and only if an official had previously notified the coach of player A1's disqualification. Until that notification happens, A1 is not actually disqualified no matter how many fouls he/she has.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2003, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

We should also be aware that this can only be penalized if it is discovered while A1 is participating. In the original situation, A1 is obviously participating. But if, in a slightly different situation, A1 is subbed out and then the officials are notified that A1 had participated illegally, nothing could be done about it. And this is true for both NCAA and Fed.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by cropduster
Barryb
Be aware that the technical foul can be called if and only if an official had previously notified the coach of player A1's disqualification. Until that notification happens, A1 is not actually disqualified no matter how many fouls he/she has.
When I read this post, my take was that A1 was playing due to an error, not on purpose. I also thought that the coach of team A received a T for his angry actions when it was discovered that A1 had been playing with 5 fouls. If this is the case, then how to handle it under NFHS rules is listed in Note 2 following 2-11-11.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
Quote:

Chuck-

Is It B's ball at 1/2 court or at the P.O.I?
Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BOBBYMO
Chuck-

Is It B's ball at 1/2 court or at the P.O.I?
Fed and NCAA Men's -- midcourt.
NCAA Women's -- POI

Good catch, Bobby.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NCAA Women's -- POI
For a flagrant foul, the penaly is two shots and the ball at the designated spot nearest where the foul occurred. This is not POI.