Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 07:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

Thanks ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Snaq gave it to you... it's 5-12-4.
A time-out shall not be granted until after the ball has become live to start the game. The additional 60-second time-out provided for each extra period(s) shall not be granted until after the ball has become live to start the extra period(s).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The ruling for this specific situation changed a couple of years ago. It used to be correct to grant an excessive time-out and penalize it with a technical foul, but now has become to deny the time-out request.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I can't agree, or disagree, with this, because I never heard of it before, therefore, a citation, please.
2005-06 NFHS Case Book version:
EXCESS TIME-OUT
5.12.4 SITUATION B: Regulation play ends with a tied score. Even though Team A has used all its allowed time-outs, A1 requests a time-out before the overtime period begins. RULING: The time-out is granted and results in a technical foul. The additional 60-second time-out provided for an overtime period cannot be used until the overtime has actually started with the ball becoming live. This overtime begins with the technical-foul free throws by Team B, followed by a division-line throw-in opposite the table. (10-1-7)

2006-07 NFHS Case Book version: (* indicates new play ruling)
*5.12.4 SITUATION B: Regulation play ends with a tied score. Team A has used all of its allotted time-outs. Team A requests a time-out before the overtime period begins. RULING: The time-out should not be granted. The additional 60-second time-out provided for each extra period(s) shall not be granted until after the ball has become live to start the extra period(s).
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
2005-06 NFHS Case Book version:
EXCESS TIME-OUT
5.12.4 SITUATION B: Regulation play ends with a tied score. Even though Team A has used all its allowed time-outs, A1 requests a time-out before the overtime period begins. RULING: The time-out is granted and results in a technical foul. The additional 60-second time-out provided for an overtime period cannot be used until the overtime has actually started with the ball becoming live. This overtime begins with the technical-foul free throws by Team B, followed by a division-line throw-in opposite the table. (10-1-7)

2006-07 NFHS Case Book version: (* indicates new play ruling)
*5.12.4 SITUATION B: Regulation play ends with a tied score. Team A has used all of its allotted time-outs. Team A requests a time-out before the overtime period begins. RULING: The time-out should not be granted. The additional 60-second time-out provided for each extra period(s) shall not be granted until after the ball has become live to start the extra period(s).
Just got to bring this thread back up to make sure I completely understand the ruling.

What should happen if Team A has time-outs left from the regulation game? Can they use them before the ball becomes live to start the overtime period?
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 11:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo View Post
Just got to bring this thread back up to make sure I completely understand the ruling.

What should happen if Team A has time-outs left from the regulation game? Can they use them before the ball becomes live to start the overtime period?
Yes, but not consecutively.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 01:16am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo View Post

Yes, check out post #6 in this thread.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Yes, but not consecutively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Yes, check out post #6 in this thread.
Now I've got it! Thanks!