The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 02:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Question Extra Period Time-out request

My fed books are in the car...

Situation: The game is tied 67-67. Both teams have used all of their time-outs during regulation play. As overtime is about to start, and we are lined up for the toss, the coach see's something he doesn’t like, and he screams TIME OUT, TIME OUT and everyone in the gym hears him.

What do you do? How do you administer this situation?

I know in college you can't grant the extra T-O until after the ball becomes live. Assuming it's the same in NFHS. Also assuming in both rules sets that we just ignore the request and proceed with the jump ball.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 02:24pm
M.A.S.H.

Ignore the request. They don't get the additional 60-second time-out until the ball becomes live.

5.12.4 Situation B

Regulation play ends with a tied score. Team A has used all of its allotted time-outs. Team A requests a time-out before the overtime period begins.

Ruling: The time-out should not be granted. The additional 60-second time-out provided for each extra period(s) shall not be granted until after the ball has become live to start the extra period(s).
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Is there a prohibition against granting a TO after an intermission but before the ball becomes live? I don't have my books handy, but I'm not aware of one.

If that's the case, I'd think by rule the TO should be granted followed by assessing a technical foul. After the timeout, the OT would start with the administering of the technical foul FTs (obviously).

Hopefully someone with his/her books can chime in. Interesting question.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Ignore the request. They don't get the additional 60-second time-out until the ball becomes live.

5.12.4 Situation B

Regulation play ends with a tied score. Team A has used all of its allotted time-outs. Team A requests a time-out before the overtime period begins.

Ruling: The time-out should not be granted. The additional 60-second time-out provided for each extra period(s) shall not be granted until after the ball has become live to start the extra period(s).
I obviously should have waited before starting to type my post.

That said, what is the text of the rule supporting ignoring the request? We wouldn't ignore it at other points in the game...
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 02:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
That said, what is the text of the rule supporting ignoring the request? We wouldn't ignore it at other points in the game...
There are times when you ignore a TO request, i.e.: team A is in team control and coach B requests a TO.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 02:32pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Is there a prohibition against granting a TO after an intermission but before the ball becomes live? I don't have my books handy, but I'm not aware of one.

If that's the case, I'd think by rule the TO should be granted followed by assessing a technical foul. After the timeout, the OT would start with the administering of the technical foul FTs (obviously).

Hopefully someone with his/her books can chime in. Interesting question.
Ignore the request. No technical foul... proceed with the jump ball.

That only applies to the start of the game. If they had a time-out that would carry over, they could call and be granted a time-out, provided it wasn't a successive time-out.

5-12-3
5-12-4
5.12.4 Situation B

Last edited by tjones1; Wed Dec 02, 2009 at 02:37pm.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
There are times when you ignore a TO request, i.e.: team A is in team control and coach B requests a TO.
A thread on overtime and you post this? Who ARE you?
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 02:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I obviously should have waited before starting to type my post.

Good question. My initial thought was the same as yours, give it to him at the expense of a T.

5-12-2: Time-outs in excess of the allotted number may be requested and shall be granted during regulation playing time or any extra period at the expense of a technical foul for each.

5-12-4: The additional 60-second time-out provided for each extra period(s) shall not be granted until after the ball has become live to start the extra period(s).

To me, a plain reading of these two rules would lead me to grant the TO and call the T, but I can see how Article 4 could go the other way. The case play ties up those loose ends I guess.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 02:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
True, because B is not entitled to it. That's not the case here, if they had a timeout, they could have it.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Good question. My initial thought was the same as yours, give it to him at the expense of a T.

5-12-2: Time-outs in excess of the allotted number may be requested and shall be granted during regulation playing time or any extra period at the expense of a technical foul for each.

5-12-4: The additional 60-second time-out provided for each extra period(s) shall not be granted until after the ball has become live to start the extra period(s).

To me, a plain reading of these two rules would lead me to grant the TO and call the T, but I can see how Article 4 could go the other way. The case play ties up those loose ends I guess.
I also can see that the intermission between regulation and the start of overtime is neither 'during regulation playing time or any extra period...'

Obviously, as you said, the case play clears up what we're to do, and I'm fine with that. Reading literally when an excess TO request can be granted in article 2 works for me.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 07:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Time Out Before Jump Ball To Start Game ...

Over twenty-nine years, I seem to have forgotten more "stuff" than I remember. That said, I seem to remember an interpretation that a time out may not be granted before the ball becomes live when it leaves the officials hand during the jump ball to start the game. I don't have a citation. Can anybody help me out here?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 07:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

6-2-1 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Over twenty-nine years, I seem to have forgotten more "stuff" than I remember. That said, I seem to remember an interpretation that a time out may not be granted before the ball becomes live when it leaves the officials hand during the jump ball to start the game. I don't have a citation. Can anybody help me out here?
I just found this. Does it help?

6-2-1: The game and each extra period begins when the ball becomes live
as specified in 6-1-2 for a jump ball, throw-in or free throw.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 11:28pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Quote:
I just found this. Does it help?

6-2-1: The game and each extra period begins when the ball becomes live
as specified in 6-1-2 for a jump ball, throw-in or free throw.
Snaq gave it to you... it's 5-12-4.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 04:28am
Official Forum Member

The ruling for this specific situation changed a couple of years ago. It used to be correct to grant an excessive time-out and penalize it with a technical foul, but now has become to deny the time-out request.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 07:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Archival Knowledge ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The ruling for this specific situation changed a couple of years ago. It used to be correct to grant an excessive time-out and penalize it with a technical foul, but now has become to deny the time-out request.
I can't agree, or disagree, with this, because I never heard of it before, therefore, a citation, please.