The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Extra Period Time-out request (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55632-extra-period-time-out-request.html)

Raymond Wed Dec 02, 2009 02:19pm

Extra Period Time-out request

My fed books are in the car...

Situation: The game is tied 67-67. Both teams have used all of their time-outs during regulation play. As overtime is about to start, and we are lined up for the toss, the coach see's something he doesn’t like, and he screams TIME OUT, TIME OUT and everyone in the gym hears him.

What do you do? How do you administer this situation?

I know in college you can't grant the extra T-O until after the ball becomes live. Assuming it's the same in NFHS. Also assuming in both rules sets that we just ignore the request and proceed with the jump ball.

tjones1 Wed Dec 02, 2009 02:24pm

Ignore the request. They don't get the additional 60-second time-out until the ball becomes live.

5.12.4 Situation B

Regulation play ends with a tied score. Team A has used all of its allotted time-outs. Team A requests a time-out before the overtime period begins.

Ruling: The time-out should not be granted. The additional 60-second time-out provided for each extra period(s) shall not be granted until after the ball has become live to start the extra period(s).

jdw3018 Wed Dec 02, 2009 02:26pm

Is there a prohibition against granting a TO after an intermission but before the ball becomes live? I don't have my books handy, but I'm not aware of one.

If that's the case, I'd think by rule the TO should be granted followed by assessing a technical foul. After the timeout, the OT would start with the administering of the technical foul FTs (obviously).

Hopefully someone with his/her books can chime in. Interesting question.

jdw3018 Wed Dec 02, 2009 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 639177)
Ignore the request. They don't get the additional 60-second time-out until the ball becomes live.

5.12.4 Situation B

Regulation play ends with a tied score. Team A has used all of its allotted time-outs. Team A requests a time-out before the overtime period begins.

Ruling: The time-out should not be granted. The additional 60-second time-out provided for each extra period(s) shall not be granted until after the ball has become live to start the extra period(s).

I obviously should have waited before starting to type my post.

That said, what is the text of the rule supporting ignoring the request? We wouldn't ignore it at other points in the game...

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 02, 2009 02:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 639180)
That said, what is the text of the rule supporting ignoring the request? We wouldn't ignore it at other points in the game...

There are times when you ignore a TO request, i.e.: team A is in team control and coach B requests a TO.

tjones1 Wed Dec 02, 2009 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 639178)
Is there a prohibition against granting a TO after an intermission but before the ball becomes live? I don't have my books handy, but I'm not aware of one.

If that's the case, I'd think by rule the TO should be granted followed by assessing a technical foul. After the timeout, the OT would start with the administering of the technical foul FTs (obviously).

Hopefully someone with his/her books can chime in. Interesting question.

Ignore the request. No technical foul... proceed with the jump ball.

That only applies to the start of the game. If they had a time-out that would carry over, they could call and be granted a time-out, provided it wasn't a successive time-out.

5-12-3
5-12-4
5.12.4 Situation B

mbyron Wed Dec 02, 2009 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 639183)
There are times when you ignore a TO request, i.e.: team A is in team control and coach B requests a TO.

A thread on overtime and you post this? Who ARE you? :D

Adam Wed Dec 02, 2009 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 639180)
I obviously should have waited before starting to type my post.

Good question. My initial thought was the same as yours, give it to him at the expense of a T.

5-12-2: Time-outs in excess of the allotted number may be requested and shall be granted during regulation playing time or any extra period at the expense of a technical foul for each.

5-12-4: The additional 60-second time-out provided for each extra period(s) shall not be granted until after the ball has become live to start the extra period(s).

To me, a plain reading of these two rules would lead me to grant the TO and call the T, but I can see how Article 4 could go the other way. The case play ties up those loose ends I guess.

Adam Wed Dec 02, 2009 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 639183)

True, because B is not entitled to it. That's not the case here, if they had a timeout, they could have it.

jdw3018 Wed Dec 02, 2009 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 639187)
Good question. My initial thought was the same as yours, give it to him at the expense of a T.

5-12-2: Time-outs in excess of the allotted number may be requested and shall be granted during regulation playing time or any extra period at the expense of a technical foul for each.

5-12-4: The additional 60-second time-out provided for each extra period(s) shall not be granted until after the ball has become live to start the extra period(s).

To me, a plain reading of these two rules would lead me to grant the TO and call the T, but I can see how Article 4 could go the other way. The case play ties up those loose ends I guess.

I also can see that the intermission between regulation and the start of overtime is neither 'during regulation playing time or any extra period...'

Obviously, as you said, the case play clears up what we're to do, and I'm fine with that. Reading literally when an excess TO request can be granted in article 2 works for me.

BillyMac Wed Dec 02, 2009 07:41pm

Time Out Before Jump Ball To Start Game ...

Over twenty-nine years, I seem to have forgotten more "stuff" than I remember. That said, I seem to remember an interpretation that a time out may not be granted before the ball becomes live when it leaves the officials hand during the jump ball to start the game. I don't have a citation. Can anybody help me out here?

BillyMac Wed Dec 02, 2009 07:59pm

6-2-1 ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 639240)
Over twenty-nine years, I seem to have forgotten more "stuff" than I remember. That said, I seem to remember an interpretation that a time out may not be granted before the ball becomes live when it leaves the officials hand during the jump ball to start the game. I don't have a citation. Can anybody help me out here?

I just found this. Does it help?

6-2-1: The game and each extra period begins when the ball becomes live
as specified in 6-1-2 for a jump ball, throw-in or free throw.

tjones1 Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 639240)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 639244)
I just found this. Does it help?

6-2-1: The game and each extra period begins when the ball becomes live
as specified in 6-1-2 for a jump ball, throw-in or free throw.

Snaq gave it to you... it's 5-12-4.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 03, 2009 04:28am

The ruling for this specific situation changed a couple of years ago. It used to be correct to grant an excessive time-out and penalize it with a technical foul, but now has become to deny the time-out request.

BillyMac Thu Dec 03, 2009 07:31am

Archival Knowledge ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 639295)
The ruling for this specific situation changed a couple of years ago. It used to be correct to grant an excessive time-out and penalize it with a technical foul, but now has become to deny the time-out request.

I can't agree, or disagree, with this, because I never heard of it before, therefore, a citation, please.