The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 12:41pm
#thereferee99

Another 'Clock Adjustment' Query

Gentlepersons,

My sitch (Fed Rules/Calif Exceptions): B2 fouls A1, Team A to inbound ball, in their front court sideline opposite the table. Reset the shot clock. Team A to inbound the ball. I'm trail in 2 person crew.

A1 inbounds to A2 who quickly passes the ball to A3 across the court, who swings the ball into the corner to A4. A4 muffs the ball, A4 and B4 go to the floor, Partner as lead calls a held ball.

I look up and the shot clock has been reset to 30. Here in Calif. it should not be reset in this sitch, but should rather keep the same value as when the held ball was called (because team in control kept the ball).

I go to the Shot Clock Operator and ask what the value was when she reset... she says "I think it was 19." Now I know this is impossible, as the clock could not have possibly run for more than 6 or 7 seconds if that. I go to partner and ask if he has a value for the shot clock before reset. He offers a 'guesstimate' of 25.

I had no closely guarded counts on any of the players who handled the ball inbounds. I had no 3 second count. I had guesstimates and hearsay evidence.

Now, in this neck of the woods, 97 of 100 officials would put 25 on the shot clock and go. That is just the way it works around here. Best guess is good enough. Keep the game moving.

What, by rule and caseplay are my options?

I left the clock at 30 and on we played.

But could I even put 30 back up? I could argue that I had definite knowledge that time elapsed, and even though I don't have definite knowledge of the amount of time that ran, I know that some did, so it CANNOT be set to 30. Am I supported in that assertion?

Last edited by referee99; Mon Nov 30, 2009 at 12:59pm. Reason: bad title
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
What, by rule and caseplay are my options?
None, because the rules and cases don't allow for a shot clock.

Best is to look at the game clock on each inbounds -- then do the math required to set the shot clock at the correct value.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Bob. However, if you want to discuss how you might apply the NFHS rules for adjusting the game clock to the shot clock...I think living with the reset is all you can do here.

"The referee may correct an obvious mistake by the timer to start or stop the clock properly only when he/she has definite information relative to the time involved. The exact time observed by the official may be placed on the clock." (NFHS 5-10-1)

You are obviously correct that you have definite knowledge that some time had to have run off. But what is required by the rule is some way to gauge "exactly" how much time ran off. Without having looked at the game clock, an official's count, or some other source of official information, I'm afraid you're stuck with the shot clock operator's mistake.

That's my take on how to apply the NFHS timer's mistake rule to a shot clock operator. NCAA rules for fixing a shot clock mistake when there is no monitor seem to agree (NCAA 5-11.4)
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't you take a look at how much time was on the game clock prior to administering the throw-in? If so, just deduct however much time came off the game clock.

Of course, if the game clock didn't run either, then you can't implement this solution. However, this is why the administering official should ALWAYS check that the clock starts shortly after chopping in time. That is one of your jobs. If you train yourself to do these things with the clock, your overall game awareness will improve and you will be much better able to handle clock situations.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

This is how the NCAA rule book covers it:

Art. 4. When an obvious mistake by the shot-clock operator has occurred in failing to start, stop, set or reset the shot clock or when a shot clock has malfunctioned, the mistake or the malfunctioning problem may be corrected in the shot-clock period in which it occurred only when the official has definite information relative to the mistake or malfunctioning problem and the time involved. Any activity, after the mistake or malfunctioning problem has been discovered, shall be canceled, excluding any flagrant foul, intentional foul, or technical foul.

It requires the official to have "definite information" to correct a shot clock error. Massachusetts also uses the shot clock and we have been told to follow this guidance. The last time I had this problem was when the clock went off shortly after a change in possession. We knew the clock had not been reset, but we had no "definite information" to say what it should be. My partner and I decided on an amount of time...based on our best judgment and called the coaches over and told them the situation. My board interpreter said that was the correct way to handle it.