View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

This is how the NCAA rule book covers it:

Art. 4. When an obvious mistake by the shot-clock operator has occurred in failing to start, stop, set or reset the shot clock or when a shot clock has malfunctioned, the mistake or the malfunctioning problem may be corrected in the shot-clock period in which it occurred only when the official has definite information relative to the mistake or malfunctioning problem and the time involved. Any activity, after the mistake or malfunctioning problem has been discovered, shall be canceled, excluding any flagrant foul, intentional foul, or technical foul.

It requires the official to have "definite information" to correct a shot clock error. Massachusetts also uses the shot clock and we have been told to follow this guidance. The last time I had this problem was when the clock went off shortly after a change in possession. We knew the clock had not been reset, but we had no "definite information" to say what it should be. My partner and I decided on an amount of time...based on our best judgment and called the coaches over and told them the situation. My board interpreter said that was the correct way to handle it.