View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 12:41pm
#thereferee99

Another 'Clock Adjustment' Query

Gentlepersons,

My sitch (Fed Rules/Calif Exceptions): B2 fouls A1, Team A to inbound ball, in their front court sideline opposite the table. Reset the shot clock. Team A to inbound the ball. I'm trail in 2 person crew.

A1 inbounds to A2 who quickly passes the ball to A3 across the court, who swings the ball into the corner to A4. A4 muffs the ball, A4 and B4 go to the floor, Partner as lead calls a held ball.

I look up and the shot clock has been reset to 30. Here in Calif. it should not be reset in this sitch, but should rather keep the same value as when the held ball was called (because team in control kept the ball).

I go to the Shot Clock Operator and ask what the value was when she reset... she says "I think it was 19." Now I know this is impossible, as the clock could not have possibly run for more than 6 or 7 seconds if that. I go to partner and ask if he has a value for the shot clock before reset. He offers a 'guesstimate' of 25.

I had no closely guarded counts on any of the players who handled the ball inbounds. I had no 3 second count. I had guesstimates and hearsay evidence.

Now, in this neck of the woods, 97 of 100 officials would put 25 on the shot clock and go. That is just the way it works around here. Best guess is good enough. Keep the game moving.

What, by rule and caseplay are my options?

I left the clock at 30 and on we played.

But could I even put 30 back up? I could argue that I had definite knowledge that time elapsed, and even though I don't have definite knowledge of the amount of time that ran, I know that some did, so it CANNOT be set to 30. Am I supported in that assertion?

Last edited by referee99; Mon Nov 30, 2009 at 12:59pm. Reason: bad title