The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Mechanics subtle question

You are the C. A1 passes to A2 foul line extended close to the sideline.
You are straigt-lined with A2 and defender B2.

Do you step down towards the end line so that you can see between the players ? (you may be staightlined again if A1 drives toward the basket)

Do you step away from the end line so that you can see between the players? (you may be straightlined again if A1 drives toward the middle of the floor)
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 11:49am
Esteemed Participant

I am probably6 going to step up the court toward the division line. Mainly because I trust that my L is in the act of rotating to my side of the court since the ball is now over here. Also because of the possible drive to the basket, and if A2 does dribble towards the middle of the court, one or two more steps up the court and I have the angle on that action also.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnuts View Post
Do you step down towards the end line so that you can see between the players ? (you may be staightlined again if A1 drives toward the basket)

Do you step away from the end line so that you can see between the players? (you may be straightlined again if A1 drives toward the middle of the floor)
Yes.

If it's within the first few minutes, I probably go high. If it's after that, I base it on what A's offense has done previously. And, if I see A1 standing in front of me, I might move before (or with) the pass.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 09:08pm
We don't rent pigs

I find that when in doubt about which way to move, the answer is usually farther away from the basket.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
I am probably6 going to step up the court toward the division line. Mainly because I trust that my L is in the act of rotating to my side of the court since the ball is now over here. Also because of the possible drive to the basket, and if A2 does dribble towards the middle of the court, one or two more steps up the court and I have the angle on that action also.
Absolutely correct. Imagine the position that the crew would be in if the C stepped down and the Lead rotated!

Anticipate becoming the Trail, but still remain engaged in officiating the play. The only way to do both is to move high along the 3pt arc.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2009, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnuts View Post
You are the C. A1 passes to A2 foul line extended close to the sideline.
You are straigt-lined with A2 and defender B2.

Personally, I don't feel you have provided me with enough information to answer the question. You have not really stated where ANY of the other players are.

If ALL other players are on the other side of the floor -- team was running some sort of overload and kicked the ball back to the weakside (A2) who is alone -- I am going to move to wherever I feel that I can MAINTAIN an angle to see the play. I am NOT going to count on the Lead to come over to my side of the floor since it is very possible that the ball may be skipped back to the opposite side (where EIGHT players are). I should be able to referee a 1v1 situation from the Center position.

On the other hand, if players A3 and B3 are on the ballside block, I am typically going to expect the Lead to move to my side of the floor. In this case, I am going to go a bit higher to get a good angle.

Much of this is also dependent on who your Lead is. Does this particular Lead tend to move to ballside quickly or do they like to "settle in" (I am not going to discuss the merits/problems of this technique, but many of the more senior referees have a habit of doing this)? This, too, alter the position you are going to move to in this situation.

As Bob indicated, once you get a feel for the offensive team's tendencies (and your partners' tendencies!!!), you can increase the likelihood that you will be moving to the position most likely to put you in the best position to referee the play.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2009, 10:19am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post

If ALL other players are on the other side of the floor -- team was running some sort of overload and kicked the ball back to the weakside (A2) who is alone -- I am going to move to wherever I feel that I can MAINTAIN an angle to see the play.
And where would that be? That was the original question...give us some kind of answer. Do you think that stepping up is "generally" the best move, or stepping down?
Old Thu Nov 26, 2009, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

My experience and what I've been taught agree with much that has been said. Generally speaking you want to go the opposite direction as the play, because the look you get is better (not always true, but true more often than not). Early in the game, before you have seen how the offense runs, you're better off guessing to go away from the basket (sometimes referred to as "high" or "over the top") as that position lends itself more easily to an anticipated rotation. However, having two C's momentarily is no sin and you should not give up a great look at a play just to accommodate a rotation. But be prepared to bust your tail if the play suddenly goes the other way.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
I do the same thing. I will stay "high side" of the ball anticipating my lead coming over. If he doesn't then we will talk about it next dead ball! That lead should be coming over to look for a help defender on the drive, or to officiate a post-challenge on the block.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
When I see that ball is swinging over to me, I would have probably started to initiate the rotation by taking a step or two up and staying wide as well. I guess its just one of those plays that you have to see to make a determination. Some conferences want you to step down instead of going to the high side.