The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Drexel vs Niagra out of bounds play

I just got a phone call from a friend telling me that in the Drexel vs Niagra game a few minutes ago, the officials went to the monitor to determine who caused the ball to go out of bounds. Did anyone else see this? Did I miss a rule change this year that allowed that in the NCAA? I know the NBA now allows it with 2:00 remaining in the 4th, but to my knowledge this is not, nor has ever been allowed in the NCAA.

CLH
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
I just got a phone call from a friend telling me that in the Drexel vs Niagra game a few minutes ago, the officials went to the monitor to determine who caused the ball to go out of bounds. Did anyone else see this? Did I miss a rule change this year that allowed that in the NCAA? I know the NBA now allows it with 2:00 remaining in the 4th, but to my knowledge this is not, nor has ever been allowed in the NCAA.

CLH

I don't think that's allowed -- but it's possible that they went to the monitor to correct a timing mistake.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I don't think that's allowed -- but it's possible that they went to the monitor to correct a timing mistake.
Agreed, I have done that, but reviewing an OOB is not allowed except the NBA. I'm getting second hand information, but I was just told they went back a second time on an out of bounds call. Two different people have called me with the same situation.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

I saw the play. Drexel was trapped on their own end line following a throw-in. The Drexel player jumped into the air and attempted to throw the ball off a Niagra player. The ball definitely touched the Niagra player, but it wasn't clear, even on the replay, if it actually rebounded and touched the Drexel player last.

The lead came out with a strong call, but I was hoping the C could have offered some support or input since it happened on his side of the floor.

I had the sound muted on the TV and couldn't get it back on again in time to figure why the referee went to the monitor. By rule, I'm sure it had to be a possible timing correction.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Yes it was a timing mistake. They ran about 5 or 6 extra seconds off the clock.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Apparently there were 2 identical plays that happened...I was told there was no way in the world there was a timing error and the commentators said the officials were looking at the OOB. Anyone else hear the commentary?
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 01:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Apparently there were 2 identical plays that happened...I was told there was no way in the world there was a timing error and the commentators said the officials were looking at the OOB. Anyone else hear the commentary?
Commentators rarely know what's going on when officials are reviewing the monitor.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
and the commentators said
Well, that settles it.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct, CLH, there were two plays near the end of the game where officials went to the monitor.

The first play happened on the sidline near the Drexel bench when a foul was called on a Niagara player (around 1:30 or so left in the game). The officials went to the monitor to look at the # of the player fouled to make sure they had the correct shooter.

The second play happened during a trap on near the endline in Niagara's backcourt. The Niagara player tried to throw the ball off of a Drexel player while falling out of bounds. His throw hit the endline and bounced up and hit him. The officials correctly gave the ball to Drexel and used the monitor to add approx. 4 seconds back on the clock after it was not stopped properly (which was a little odd seeing as the crew was using PTS).

The announcers thought the officials were using the monitor in the first play to see who was the last to touch the ball - which didn't matter because of the foul that was called.

As we all know, never trust what the announcer says or the "facts" when it comes to "second-hand information".....
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 01:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Would it be fair to say that if the officials went to the monitor to determine whom the ball hit last before going OOB that it would be their last game for that assigner?
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Would it be fair to say that if the officials went to the monitor to determine whom the ball hit last before going OOB that it would be their last game for that assigner?
HAHA, If I'm the assignor then yes, that would be a fair assumption espcially if they had done it twice!!
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 03:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
You are correct, CLH, there were two plays near the end of the game where officials went to the monitor.

The first play happened on the sidline near the Drexel bench when a foul was called on a Niagara player (around 1:30 or so left in the game). The officials went to the monitor to look at the # of the player fouled to make sure they had the correct shooter.

The second play happened during a trap on near the endline in Niagara's backcourt. The Niagara player tried to throw the ball off of a Drexel player while falling out of bounds. His throw hit the endline and bounced up and hit him. The officials correctly gave the ball to Drexel and used the monitor to add approx. 4 seconds back on the clock after it was not stopped properly (which was a little odd seeing as the crew was using PTS).

The announcers thought the officials were using the monitor in the first play to see who was the last to touch the ball - which didn't matter because of the foul that was called.

As we all know, never trust what the announcer says or the "facts" when it comes to "second-hand information".....
There was a foul called? Granted I was doing some other things, but I thought there was just an out of bounds call. It was obvious to me that they were putting time on the clock. I never listen to announcers about what happens in a game.

I remember a few days ago the officials called a substitution timeout and the dumb announcers said they called a travel. And when they gave the ball back to the same team, the announcers never corrected the mistake. Listening to them is like expecting monkey to answer the ESPN Trivia questions right half the time.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 03:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There was a foul called? Granted I was doing some other things, but I thought there was just an out of bounds call. It was obvious to me that they were putting time on the clock. I never listen to announcers about what happens in a game.

I remember a few days ago the officials called a substitution timeout and the dumb announcers said they called a travel. And when they gave the ball back to the same team, the announcers never corrected the mistake. Listening to them is like expecting monkey to answer the ESPN Trivia questions right half the time.

Peace
And everyone knows the best a monkey can do is 25% on the ESPN Trivia questions.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

I remember a few days ago the officials called a substitution timeout and the dumb announcers said they called a travel. And when they gave the ball back to the same team, the announcers never corrected the mistake.
Peace
I remember this happening too. It was near the end of a Syracuse game that they won easily. I was going to bring it up here, but figured nobody saw it. The official who was running by Syr's bench did signal a travel. I'm thinking that maybe Jimmy Boeheim said something like "call a travel so I can get my walk-ons in" because he didn't want to take a time out. Any thoughts on this? Can time-outs be shortened in NCAA-M?

Still, you're right, the announcers never admitted a mistake. Of course it was under 2 minutes in a 20+ point blowout.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 03:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Some officials use the travel signal for a substitution timeout. I think they were volleyball officials in another life or something.