Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 11:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

Please Keep Em Coming ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
This is not correct: the point of interruption can be a free throw or an AP arrow throw-in, as per 4-36. Or perhaps you meant 'e.g.' instead of 'i.e.'.
mbyron: Thanks. Notice that I stated "some" correctable errors, because I only wanted to concentrate on designated spots in this section of the list. I did make one minor change, in red, based on your input. How's this?

After an official's accidental whistle, an interrupted game, a double personal, double technical or simultaneous foul, or some correctable errors, play will be resumed at the point of interruption, that is, a throwin to the team that was in control at a spot nearest to where the ball was located when the interruption occurred.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 11:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

You Can't Fool All Of The People, All Of The Time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I assume he means that if team A commits a foul while a try is in the air, if the try is successful, team B's throw-in is from anywhere on the end line.
You mean a common foul against an opponent of a player committed by a teammate of a player in the act of shooting a ball, a ball that is in the air when the foul occurs, that eventually goes in the basket? Wow. Good catch sseltser, and just another ref. You guys are sharp. Thanks.

Since I just want to concentrate on designated spots in this section of the list, how's this change, in red:

After an intentional foul, a player control foul, a team control foul, or most common fouls before the bonus rule is in effect, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from the designated out of bounds spot nearest the foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I assume he means that if team A commits a foul while a try is in the air, if the try is successful, team B's throw-in is from anywhere on the end line.
Or if A has a throw-in from anywhere on the endline and B commits a foul during the throw-in such that the succeeding throw-in will be on the endline, then team A retains the right to throw-in from anywhere along the endline.

But BillyMac, I think that your change should fix it. (Or maybe I just opened a can of worms by thinking you already had this as a misunderstood rule.)
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
be sure that I get my 10%.
Sure. Just send me your bank account information and I'll transfer the money. I'm already set up for that as I have a side business involving transferring disputed funds out of Nigeria.
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 12:08pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
..... be sure that I get my 10%.

You should get some or most of 10%.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
mbyron: Thanks. Notice that I stated "some" correctable errors, because I only wanted to concentrate on designated spots in this section of the list. I did make one minor change, in red, based on your input. How's this?

After an official's accidental whistle, an interrupted game, a double personal, double technical or simultaneous foul, or some correctable errors, play will be resumed at the point of interruption, that is, a throwin to the team that was in control at a spot nearest to where the ball was located when the interruption occurred.
Still not correct. You might have a double T just before a free throw, for example, in which case the POI is the free throw.

Or you could have an IW, a double personal or simultaneous foul during a try, in which case the POI is an AP throw in.

What exactly are you trying to simplify?
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 12:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Keep It Simple Stupid ...

Quote:
You're right. Some rules can't be simplified enough to be understood by coaches, players, and fans, which is the main purpose of the The Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules list. I've revised the new section, again (below), to only include sseltser's original myth, that all backcourt violations are put back into play at the division line. Thanks.

After a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from an out of bounds spot nearest the violation. This is especially true for a backcourt violation, where the ball may not necessarily be put in play at the division line, but, rather, is always put back in play at the spot nearest the violation.

Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 01:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Still not correct. You might have a double T just before a free throw, for example, in which case the POI is the free throw.

Or you could have an IW, a double personal or simultaneous foul during a try, in which case the POI is an AP throw in.
Assuming the try is not successful, you are correct.
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 01:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You're right. Some rules can't be simplified enough to be understood by coaches, players, and fans, which is the main purpose of the The Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules list. I've revised the new section, again (below), to only include sseltser's original myth, that all backcourt violations are put back into play at the division line. Thanks.

After a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from an out of bounds spot nearest the violation. This is especially true for a backcourt violation, where the ball may not necessarily be put in play at the division line, but, rather, is always put back in play at the spot nearest the violation.
Billy, it seems you're simply trying to correct the misconception about the spot of backcourt violation. If that's your myth, then you're correction is much simpler. The rest of that stuff isn't really correcting a myth.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

As an "old-time" official (back to the 80s), I believe this isn't a myth (as in something that was never true but has taken on an aura of truth because people simply keep repeating it) but rather something that at one time WAS true and has since been changed. I distinctly recall several situations back in the 80s when throw-ins were administered either at the division line (other than if the violation was near the division line or in the case of a T or starting a period) or the free-throw line extended (I think that free-thrown violations were administrered from the free-throw line extended for the longest time until about the early 90s).

What I used to see happen back then was old-time officials would simply refuse to go along with the new rules (back then, officials organizations didn't have as much sway over their officials, at least in the case of my organizations) and so the old rules were continued until enough people made a stink and everyone finally moved on.

On the one hand, I have always found some of the rule changes and mechanics changes a bit of a pain in the butt and often failed to see the real need for them, but as they say, "resistance is futile" LOL. And sometimes, the rule changes do make sense (and make for a better game) although one change that I do NOT like is the new one with respect to trail administration of a free-throw from the table side of the court instead of opposite the table side.

This one particularly bugs me, not so much because of the need to now be close to the coach (I am fine having that "under the radar" chat with a coach after a foul call) but rather because it takes the trail official away from being able to see the bench clearly and be aware of what is happening when players are entering the court or reporting. The lead has enough to do at the end line to administer the free throw and this mechanic change means that the official has to look away at times (NEVER a good thing to do in a heated basketball game) in order to be able to see what is going on.

This is a GREAT mechanic for 3-person crews because there is another official who can look AT the table area, but in 2-person crews, I think this will cause more problems than it solves. Then again, I could be wrong.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleurose View Post
As an "old-time" official (back to the 80s), I believe this isn't a myth (as in something that was never true but has taken on an aura of truth because people simply keep repeating it) but rather something that at one time WAS true and has since been changed. I distinctly recall several situations back in the 80s when throw-ins were administered either at the division line (other than if the violation was near the division line or in the case of a T or starting a period) or the free-throw line extended (I think that free-thrown violations were administrered from the free-throw line extended for the longest time until about the early 90s).
In an earlier officiating life (some time in the mid to late 80's), I clearly recall free throw violations resulting in a throw-in at the free throw line extended.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 07:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

Can You Hear Barbra Singing In The Background ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
In an earlier officiating life (some time in the mid to late 80's), I clearly recall free throw violations resulting in a throw-in at the free throw line extended.
If the ball went in and the violation was by the offense on the last free throw.

Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 07:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm An "Older-Time" Official ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleurose View Post
As an "old-time" official (back to the 80s), I believe this isn't a myth (as in something that was never true but has taken on an aura of truth because people simply keep repeating it) but rather something that at one time WAS true and has since been changed.
I go back to 1979 and the throwin spot was always nearest the backcourt violation. Before 1979? Ask Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. He know rules back to 1891. Really. Ask him.

Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 03:06am
Administrator

Quote:
I go back to 1979 and the throwin spot was always nearest the backcourt violation. Before 1979? Ask Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. He know rules back to 1891. Really. Ask him.

In the ancient times, for violations by the free-throw shooting team and for violations where the ball goes through the basket immediately following the violation, i.e., A1 commits a traveling violation while shooting the ball and the ball goes through the basket, the penatly throw-in was a designated throw-in by the non-offending team on the sideline where the free throw line extended intersects the sideline in the non-offending team's backcourt. This rule was changed sometime in the 1980's.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio