Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 05, 2002, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
Juulie--you don't really disagree with me here, but we might interpret things a little differently. You cannot referee the 80/20 without concentrating on the defense. If a defender is not in a legal position, all bets are off, but too often (especially at the HS levels) if there is any body contact on a block, a foul is called and, IMO, we do the defender a disservice when he has played good defense.

Reffing the defense is the key, but knowing how to interpret what happens will separate you from the masses.
Actually, I DO agree with you! Maybe it's the European connection!! Either my reffing has improved, or yours has, but since I have been in the more lowly ranks until very, very recently, I guess the hit belongs on my end, eh?

I just want us to keep saying the part about legal guarding position, becuase too often newer officials, or coaches, or players or (worst of all) parents read part but not all of a certain discussion and determine that how we have worded it is the gospel interpretation. If we keep saying the words, "legal guarding position" later we aren't going to have as many "80/20" 's thrown back in our faces. Does it sound like I'm on a campaign? Maybe a little, I guess. I suffered under some very badly worded suggestions from partners her and there, and I wish others didn't have to do the same.