View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 05, 2002, 09:34am
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Well, I almost never agree with stripes about basketball, but he gave me some very good advice to use on my trip, so I suppose he can't be all wrong.

Good to know that I am not always wrong. Now, please let my wife know.

Quote:
Still, I disagree with him here. I think this play is very easy if you're reffing the defense. It doesn't matter what the percentage of contact is, it doesnt' matter whether the shot goes in, it doesn't matter about advantage or disadvantage. Did the defender go straight up, or slightly backwards? If so, he's legal, no matter how much of the other stuff there may be. If he moved out of legal position, such as toward the shooter, or sideways into the path of the shooter, then it's a foul, even if the contact is only 10% body. I learned this lesson fairly early, and although I've still got a lot of things to work on, REFFING THE DEFENSE is not one of them. It makes a lot of calls so, so easy.
Juulie--you don't really disagree with me here, but we might interpret things a little differently. You cannot referee the 80/20 without concentrating on the defense. If a defender is not in a legal position, all bets are off, but too often (especially at the HS levels) if there is any body contact on a block, a foul is called and, IMO, we do the defender a disservice when he has played good defense. We all know this is true because we all (myself included) have done it and given a defender a "cheap" foul.

If a defender goes and gets the ball and gets a little body, is that good defense or a foul? By strict interpretation, it is probably a foul, but is that a good call? IMO, no. Let kids block shots. As you move up the officiating food chain, consistently making calls like this will get you fired.

Reffing the defense is the key, but knowing how to interpret what happens will separate you from the masses.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019