View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 02, 2002, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Hmmmmm, let me guess what happened at camp last night. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
A1 in paint receives a pass, turns, makes his move around B1 to the basket and goes high for a dunk. B1 stays with him, going as high & gets a hand on the ball. B1 also gets some side to side body contact, not a lot
Both of these plays probably need to be seen before we can really make a judgment. But just from your description, I think I probably do not have a call on this one. If they're both jumping fairly straight up and you get some slight contact on the body, I think I let them play on. If, however, the contact is hard enough that A1 loses his balance (or if his body is turned so that he no longer has a clean look at the dunk, regardless of whether it goes in or not) or is knocked down, then I think I have to call a foul there. But without seeing it, it's hard to say. So, just from the description, I have no call.

Quote:
Similar play: A1 on a breakaway drives in for a layup. B1 is following closely, B1 gets a hand on the ball as A1 is in the air for the layup, followed by obvious body contact.
Obvious body contact is kind of hard to ignore, but again, it depends on the result of the contact. If the contact causes the shooter to adjust his shot or causes the shooter to fall, then that is probably a foul. But if the contact is slight and doesn't affect the shooter, then I'd let it go. Basically. . . no harm, no foul. Profound, huh? I think, just from Dan's description, that I would call a foul. It sounds like the contact was enough to put the shooter at a disadvantage.

Chuck