The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Never make assumptions

A thread has been disappeared about a request for the IAABO exam, amidst suggestions that some sort of nefarious purpose was behind the request. I was writing what follows as it went to the land of the 18 and a half minute gap.

It is not clear whether the request was made by someone in an IAABO jurisdiction, or if in IAABO jurisdiction, from board with an open book/open review approach to the test. It it entirely possible the request came from someone just looking for another set of questions to work his head around.

So to assume it's some sort of scheme to get the test in advance of taking that specific test in an examination environment may be jumping the gun and painting someone in a bad light based on assumptions that may be faulty.

Some of us are just nerdy enough to roam the web and chase down exams we will never formally take, often from places we never heard of, just to get thinking about situations as the season approaches. It works best when you use one for which the answers are available or which will eventually be available once the exam serves its purpose (such as the IAABO refresher exam).

Interpreting basketball rules requires one to think a little bit differently than one does in day-to-day life, and working out some problems and situations as the season approaches gets the brain in that sort of mode. Somehow I don't think someone with 1,900 posts here is going to think s/he's going to find a lot of support for beating the system.

"Those doofers must have stolen the wrong exam!"
--Donald "Boon" Schoenstein, 1962.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 09:54am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
"Those doofers must have stolen the wrong exam!"
--Donald "Boon" Schoenstein, 1962.

I assume you know that "doofers" is not the actual term used in the above quote.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So to assume it's some sort of scheme to get the test in advance of taking that specific test in an examination environment may be jumping the gun and painting someone in a bad light based on assumptions that may be faulty.
I don't recall anyone making that assumption or painting anyone in a bad light, in that thread.

Quote:
Some of us are just nerdy enough to roam the web and chase down exams we will never formally take, often from places we never heard of, just to get thinking about situations as the season approaches. It works best when you use one for which the answers are available or which will eventually be available once the exam serves its purpose (such as the IAABO refresher exam).
And, at least in years past, the exam has been available once the IAABO testing date is passed.

99% (SWAG, I admit) of the requests for exams are from people trying to cheat (at some level). It's better, imo, to just delete such requests. And, to be clear, I've deleted several (5 or so) such requests for various tests in the past couple of days.

Now, if someone wants to request the 2008 test, ...
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Now that you mention it ...

Actually, my state doesn't use IAABO, just NFHS, so an IAABO test from 2008 might be kinda fun. I assume it is posted somewhere on the internet?
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 10:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Always listen to Bob.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 11:01am
Travel, Offside & Strike!

This year's version must have been a doozy. Out of 23 cadets taking the test in our area, no one got the 86%.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 11:26am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I know we had some pass, but I don't know how many took it.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A thread has been disappeared about a request for the IAABO exam, amidst suggestions that some sort of nefarious purpose was behind the request. I was writing what follows as it went to the land of the 18 and a half minute gap.

It is not clear whether the request was made by someone in an IAABO jurisdiction, or if in IAABO jurisdiction, from board with an open book/open review approach to the test. It it entirely possible the request came from someone just looking for another set of questions to work his head around.

Interpreting basketball rules requires one to think a little bit differently than one does in day-to-day life, and working out some problems and situations as the season approaches gets the brain in that sort of mode. Somehow I don't think someone with 1,900 posts here is going to think s/he's going to find a lot of support for beating the system.
None of that means a tinker's damn. Requests for current exams are always deleted for obvious reasons.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 08:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm Always In The Mood For A Good Basketball Rules Question ...

Quote:
Some of us are just nerdy enough to roam the web and chase down exams we will never formally take, often from places we never heard of, just to get thinking about situations as the season approaches.
I'm in a 100% IAABO state, I've already taken my IAABO refresher exam.

A few weeks ago, I found a copy of the NFHS exam, 100 questions, no answers, on one of the internet basketball forums (Official Forum, NFHS forum, or Basketballrefs forum) and I plan to peruse through it at a convenient time. Does that make me "nerdy"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

IAABO test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavano View Post
This year's version must have been a doozy. Out of 23 cadets taking the test in our area, no one got the 86%.
I thought that this years IAABO test was fairly easy. Our board in Missouri mails the test to us. We had about a week to send it back. It's an open book test for us. Last year I got together with 12 other members to go over the questions and get the correct answer. Some of those bozo's submitted incorrect answers. Still, at least 10% of our organization get less than 86%. Some of the failing officials are our senior officials.
Like BillyMac, I also retrieved the NFHS Part I test. We only need to take the NFHS Part II test.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 09:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Challenging, But Fair ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
I thought that this years IAABO test was fairly easy.
Same here. My interpreter told us that the international office put a lot of time and effort into making this year's exam challenging, but fair. I believe that they succeeded.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 10:59pm
Travel, Offside & Strike!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
I thought that this years IAABO test was fairly easy. Our board in Missouri mails the test to us. We had about a week to send it back. It's an open book test for us. Last year I got together with 12 other members to go over the questions and get the correct answer. Some of those bozo's submitted incorrect answers. Still, at least 10% of our organization get less than 86%. Some of the failing officials are our senior officials.
Like BillyMac, I also retrieved the NFHS Part I test. We only need to take the NFHS Part II test.
In our area, the IAABO test is closed book. Then after you pass it, you'll do the open book NFHS test in a group setting the following years.

I'd like to find a copy of this year's refresher after all of the test dates are over. Guess that makes me "nerdy"...
Old Thu Nov 12, 2009, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Does that make me "nerdy"?
I assume this is you, Billy?
Old Thu Nov 12, 2009, 09:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Do Own, And Know How to Use, A Slide Rule ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Back In The Saddle: Thanks. Good post. Very entertaining.

I was in the Chess Club. Ninth grade intermediate champion. I was sandbagging. I should have been in the expert bracket, where I would have gotten my butt kicked.

What's "Weird Al" Yankovic going to do now that Michael Jackson has passed?

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 13, 2009 at 07:42pm.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 03:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Back In The Saddle: Thanks. Good post. Very entertaining.

I was in the Chess Club. Ninth grade intermediate champion. I was sandbagging. I should have been in the expert bracket.

What's "Weird Al" Yankovic going to do now that Michael Jackson has passed?
Collaborate more with Donny Osmond?