The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Question What is the best cell phone for a referee?

My current contract has expired and I am ready for a new phone. I wanted to see if there is a specific type of phone that the majority of you are using. Obviously it needs texting features. I am thinking along of the lines of keeping a schedule electronically or maybe tracking expenses.

I realize the Iphone can do everything I have listed here but I thought there might be some other options.

So tell me what you use and how it works for you.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The R View Post
Obviously it needs texting features.
I'm not sure that's "obvious."

I use a phone for calling, and a spreadsheet for tracking games, revenue and expenses and a calendar to track the schedule.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

I use my phone for making calls and voice mail. It has a calendar, but I don't use it. I already have too many calendars to keep up to date.

If all the officials got a nextel, then we could talk to each other on the wakie talkie feature for free (free...right...., at no additional charge). So if the folks you need to talk to already have Nextel, then that's the way to go.

As things go, DROID, (I think it's Droid) just put out a new phone to compete with the iPhone. The reviews are good. At this early stage, they don't have as many applications. But, that will change. You can do videos or pictures with a better camera than iPhone's camera. Upgradable memory. Plus, I think they may be on the Verison network. They have good coverage. If you get the 3G(4G) package, you can connect to the internet anywhere. Check/Send email. Get weather radar, directions to the game, check sports reports, login to the scheduling system, login to this forum, etc. With touch technology, sending txt messages is breeze. Plus, it plays music and movies. And surprisingly enough, you can make calls and receive voice mail.

Of course, I want one....but

OK.....commerical over.....like I said, I just read this article....
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'm not sure that's "obvious."

I use a phone for calling, and a spreadsheet for tracking games, revenue and expenses and a calendar to track the schedule.
Bob I assume that everyone works some rec league games and receives assignments via text as well as communicating with partners via text. I guess that may not be the case.

So in your opinion a phone is only used for conversations so most all models would work?

All the things you have listed is what I am asking.. Is there a phone that does that better than others?
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 01:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Cell phone!?!?! I just progressed from using messengers on horseback to the telegraph!
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 01:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Bob I assume that everyone works some rec league games and receives assignments via text as well as communicating with partners via text. I guess that may not be the case.

So in your opinion a phone is only used for conversations so most all models would work?

All the things you have listed is what I am asking.. Is there a phone that does that better than others?
I don't get anything via text. Our schedules are done in arbiter online, and we are told to actually talk to our partners before the game. There are enough folks who don't text, I don't text anyone who hasn't told me it's ok.

Now, I can't wait for the arbiter app for my Blackberry Storm.

And don't mind Padgett. He's still grumpy he can't find any more Carrier Pidgeons.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I don't get anything via text. Our schedules are done in arbiter online, and we are told to actually talk to our partners before the game. There are enough folks who don't text, I don't text anyone who hasn't told me it's ok.

And don't mind Padgett. He's still grumpy he can't find any more Carrier Pidgeons.
Snaq all my HS assignments come through the arbiter but all my rec league assignments come via text. I guess it is faster to text times and day then to have a conversation.
We are supposed to actually talk to our partners too but the growing trend of text as a communication medium is taking over and lots of refs just text the time they will be there. Again I guess it is faster than a traditional conversation.

So how do you like the Storm? Does it do spreadsheets at all?
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My current contract has expired and I am ready for a new phone. I wanted to see if there is a specific type of phone that the majority of you are using. Obviously it needs texting features. I am thinking along of the lines of keeping a schedule electronically or maybe tracking expenses.

I realize the Iphone can do everything I have listed here but I thought there might be some other options.

You want to be able to synchronize your calandar on the phone with the calendar on the computer. I would recommend using Google Calendar. It is simple and you don't need other programs. It works well with iPhone, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, Android, and I believe some Nokia phones. If you add something to your Google Calendar on the computer it will just show up on your phone. You always have your up to date calendar on the phone as well as online.

Google just came out with a turn by turn GPS navigation features in Google Maps on Android phones (Android is Google's operating system). That would be useful in helping you get to your games if you don't already have a GPS system. The Google version reviews aren't that great but it is completely free and will only be getting better. The Droid might be the only phone this works on right now.

Official Google Mobile Blog: Announcing Google Maps Navigation for Android 2.0
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

You realize that cell phones will critique your game.
After the game, pick up your phone. I bet it will have a message like..
"Missed 5 calls"
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
You want to be able to synchronize your calandar on the phone with the calendar on the computer. I would recommend using Google Calendar. It is simple and you don't need other programs. It works well with iPhone, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, Android, and I believe some Nokia phones. If you add something to your Google Calendar on the computer it will just show up on your phone. You always have your up to date calendar on the phone as well as online.

Google just came out with a turn by turn GPS navigation features in Google Maps on Android phones (Android is Google's operating system). That would be useful in helping you get to your games if you don't already have a GPS system. The Google version reviews aren't that great but it is completely free and will only be getting better. The Droid might be the only phone this works on right now.

Official Google Mobile Blog: Announcing Google Maps Navigation for Android 2.0
Now I know who the forum's IT man is. But what does it all mean, Basil?
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Snaq, is there a specific app that is going to be available for the Storm?
I’m looking very closely at the Strom 2 that was just released. Mostly for its browser capabilities. I want a good browser so I can access my schedule on the Arbiter and email. However, if there is a specific mobile app available for the Arbiter that will work on the Storm or other smart phones I would be very interested in that.

Oh ya, I might use it now and then for making phone calls.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 03:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski View Post
Snaq, is there a specific app that is going to be available for the Storm?
I’m looking very closely at the Strom 2 that was just released. Mostly for its browser capabilities. I want a good browser so I can access my schedule on the Arbiter and email. However, if there is a specific mobile app available for the Arbiter that will work on the Storm or other smart phones I would be very interested in that.

Oh ya, I might use it now and then for making phone calls.
Nothing I know of, and I would bet the market for such an app is not sufficiently large to warrant the programmers' attention.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 03:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Snaq all my HS assignments come through the arbiter but all my rec league assignments come via text. I guess it is faster to text times and day then to have a conversation.
We are supposed to actually talk to our partners too but the growing trend of text as a communication medium is taking over and lots of refs just text the time they will be there. Again I guess it is faster than a traditional conversation.

So how do you like the Storm? Does it do spreadsheets at all?
I've had it for three months now (right before the Storm 2 came out), and I'm starting to get used to it. I don't work rec league, so I don't know how the local rec leagues hand out assignments.

Last year I may have had one or two partners text me, but that was after we talked and only to update their expected arrival times.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:

You definitely need a handsfree phone with Bluetooth. It is the only way to be able to continue talking to friends and asking fellow referees for rulings on specific sits during the games. Texting is typically too slow during a game -- that only works effectively during timeouts and between quarters. I would also suggest that you get one with the AP application to properly track the possession arrow during the game. Make sure that it has a stop clock function as well.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 03:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

The phone that works and the official is capable to use. That is all that matters.

Peace