The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

All or None

This has previously been stated at this forum:

The throw-in, the count, "at disposal" and "too late for the other team to be granted a time out" all occur at the same time. If you have one, you have them all. If you don't have one, you don't have any.

After a little reading, I am not sure this is correct.

Officals Handbook, 3.2.2H, If the throw-in is after a goal, the opposing team should be allowed reasonable time to secure the ball at the end line after which the five-second count is started. My interp: Even though the player has secured the ball, I, possibly, may not start the five-second count until they are "at the end line."

Officials Handbook, 3.4.4A(8), After a successful FT or FG, any player or head coach may request a time out, until the non-scoring team secures the ball for the throw-in. Once the official begins the 5-second count, the scoring team cannot be granted a time out. My interp: If the official starts a 5-second count prior to the non-scoring team securing the ball, it is too late for the scoring team to be granted a time out. If the non-scoring team has secured the ball but the official has not started a count (as in sitch above) it is too late for the scoring team to be granted a time out.

Does this ruin the "all or none" idea that makes such good sense to me? Or, should I just forget I ever read that and stick with "all or none"?
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 04:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think you're reading too much into it.
If the player secures the ball, after a basket, in bounds, you do not start your count and the scoring team may still request a timeout.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
secure the ball at the end line

The relevant phrase isn't "secure the ball", it's "secure the ball at the end line."

All three things (TO, at disposal, count) occur at the same time.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

So I should translate "secures the ball for the throw-in" to mean "secure the ball at the end line"? I hope that is what you are saying because that fits perfectly with my screwed up logic.

Last edited by Scratch85; Thu Nov 05, 2009 at 04:35pm.
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

You really aren't too busy.
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

One Nevadaref is enough. LOL
Old Sat Nov 07, 2009, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyface View Post
One Nevadaref is enough. LOL
Wow, taking a shot at me with only your 2nd post!

BTW the NFHS has already provided an answer to the question posed in the OP. One can find it in our Past Interps Archive.

2006-07 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 9: With less than one minute to play in the fourth quarter, Team A scores a field goal to tie the game. B1, standing under the basket after the score, secures the ball and begins heading to the end line for the ensuing throw-in. A1 requests and is granted a time-out. RULING: Legal procedure. Team A may request and be granted a time-out until the ensuing throw-in begins. The throw-in does not begin until B1 has the ball at his/her disposal and the official has begun the five-second count.