The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Cell phones at the table

Any of you having trouble with people talking or texting with their cell phones while trying to keep the book or run the clock? I had a home scorekeeper texting his girlfriend. (I know because he's one of my son's good friends.) After I gave visitors HC a full TO, during the 45 seconds he looked up from his phone like he had no idea what was going on and had to ask me what was called, who called it, etc. Before the 2nd game I was going to tell him to lose the phone but his dad came and did the book for him
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Had this problem at the varsity level last year with the scoreboard operator. She was actually talking on the phone when things started going downhill. I forget the specifics, but the clock failed to start once the ball went inbounds. When myself and another official went to speak with the woman, she did not even pay attention. My partner ended up grabbing the phone from her and told her to listen to what we were saying. My partner then gave the phone to the AD and told him not to let her have it until the game unless the situation was an emergency and, in that case, we would need a new operator.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgncjn
Had this problem at the varsity level last year with the scoreboard operator. She was actually talking on the phone when things started going downhill. I forget the specifics, but the clock failed to start once the ball went inbounds. When myself and another official went to speak with the woman, she did not even pay attention. My partner ended up grabbing the phone from her and told her to listen to what we were saying. My partner then gave the phone to the AD and told him not to let her have it until the game unless the situation was an emergency and, in that case, we would need a new operator.
I'm quite sure I wouldn't go as far as to physically grab the phone. As soon as I realized that she wasn't even trying to multi-task, I'd have her replaced. Skip all the talk to the AD. (Can you believe it's me saying "too much talking!?!?")
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 09:37pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Before the 2nd game I was going to tell him to lose the phone but his dad came and did the book for him.
Lost opportunity to teach the kid responsibility. Dad bailing the kid out. Tsk.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Lost opportunity to teach the kid responsibility. Dad bailing the kid out. Tsk.
Either that, or the kid was filling in for the dad who had been assigned the job, but was being lazy.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 09:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

If someone is going to sell phones at the table during one of my games, I want a commission.

Sorry - I had my lame hat on.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 10:00pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Any of you having trouble with people talking or texting with their cell phones while trying to keep the book or run the clock? I had a home scorekeeper texting his girlfriend. (I know because he's one of my son's good friends.) After I gave visitors HC a full TO, during the 45 seconds he looked up from his phone like he had no idea what was going on and had to ask me what was called, who called it, etc. Before the 2nd game I was going to tell him to lose the phone but his dad came and did the book for him
This is a huge pet peeve of mine. If mine is not turned off during a game, I'll let it ring and go to voice mail.

One college I worked at had a student scorekeeper who would talk on her phone during the game. I think it was one of the reasons she eventually got asked to stop doing games partly through the season.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't had problems with this in a basketball game (yet). But at a volleyball tourney I was working at this year the scorekeeper was watching the match, and texting at the same time. She didn't seem to miss anything. I can't even dial without looking; I have no idea how kids can text without looking.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 12:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Junker and I were doing a JV double header one night, and two varsity girls were working the book and enjoyed their cell phone time. If I remember correctly, he was going to have them replaced for the 2nd game but that was taken care of by the fact that the varsity boys were doing the book for that game since it was a boys JV game.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man
This is a huge pet peeve of mine. If mine is not turned off during a game, I'll let it ring and go to voice mail.

One college I worked at had a student scorekeeper who would talk on her phone during the game. I think it was one of the reasons she eventually got asked to stop doing games partly through the season.
Why would you have it turned on at the table? If it rings in my game you are either going to turn it off, or we will be finding a replacement.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 08:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblref
Why would you have it turned on at the table? If it rings in my game you are either going to turn it off, or we will be finding a replacement.
Really? Good luck with that.

I won't even notice unless he answers it. Are you really paying that much attention to the table that you'd know whose cell phone was ringing.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 08:41am
In Memoriam

Why not just tell table personnel before the game starts that cell phones, text messaging, etc, are not to be used. If one of 'em doesn't like it, tell home management to find a replacement.

Why wait for problems to happen?
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Why not just tell table personnel before the game starts that cell phones, text messaging, etc, are not to be used. If one of 'em doesn't like it, tell home management to find a replacement.

Why wait for problems to happen?
Of course, you're right, but sometimes even after one says something, it happens anyway. As I"m sure you know.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 08:55am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I have had games with a partner, who has been on his cell phone at halftime while he should have been participating in a review of the first half and what should be done in the 2nd. He also had his cell phone on in class and was directed to leave the room because he was having a conversation while the class was taking place. Some people just do not 'get it', and sadly, they never will.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 08:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
I have had games with a partner, who has been on his cell phone at halftime while he should have been participating in a review of the first half and what should be done in the 2nd. He also had his cell phone on in class and was directed to leave the room because he was having a conversation while the class was taking place. Some people just do not 'get it', and sadly, they never will.
New a guy once got kicked out of officer candidate school (he was going to be an F-16 pilot) for talking on his cell phone during the last week.

Some people have no self-discipline.