The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

Player A1 makes a spectacular play. He gets a steal and a break away...as he gets to his basket, he throws the ball off the backboard, catches it mid-air and throws down a reverse dunk. The crowd goes crazy! He has a cell phone hidden under one of the chairs ... he grabs it and calls his mom in celebration. What is the call?
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 03:25am
Official Forum Member

That's a T if I ever saw one.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 06:37am
Huck Finn

Did you make this up? Hopefully, by the time this call was completed the crew would give him 2 Ts and he could call mommy from the bench!
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

As in, Can you hear me, now?
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 09:12am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Flagrant T for taunting.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Smile

It depends on rather the call was made after 9:00 P.M. If it was then its an evening and weekend call, if it was before then the call counts against his peak minutes!!
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Flagrant T Snaq? I don't know about that. I would probably laugh, T him up for leaving the court, give him two seconds to put down the phone, and play on. If he says he is on hold, T him again and tell him he has time now to stay on the phone. I hope this is a joke of a situation. I can't imagine seeing this happen up in the sticks where I live.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

If the NFL is willing to give out a $30K fine I don't think it's out of line for us to give a flagrant T for taunting and eject the kid.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dubby
If the NFL is willing to give out a $30K fine I don't think it's out of line for us to give a flagrant T for taunting and eject the kid.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 09:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

This isn't just unsportsmanlike conduct, it's taunting pure and simple. I might wait long enough to see if his opponents can score quickly due to his extracurricular activities before I blow the whistle. But it's taunting, and a flagrant T. It's a no-brainer to me.

I don't see it happening, either. Basically, most coaches around here wouldn't mind the flagrant in this case, as he'd most likely be on the bench after than anyway.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

A 30K fine for those guys is like 5 bucks for us. I don't know if that is a valid comparison. I just don't think that any of us would think Flagrant that fast. Maybe after the fact we might say hey, that could of or should have been Flagrant. This is something that none of us would EVER expect to happen in a game we are officiating.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

T him and get on with it. If his coach is smart, that kid is on the bech anyway. But other types of taunting are worse than this (IMO) and don't merit a flagrant. But definitely whack him.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
T him for being an idiot.

I do think it's a little bit different than the football situation, where it wa really clear that the offending player was saying "The defense is just phoning it in", and the taunt was so extreme you cold even taste it over the TV. In the example cited for basketball, you've got one talented show-off, continuing to show off. It's poor taste, it's pure ME, and it's really, really STUPID. However, I don't know that is is as clearly demeaning to the other team as the football player's action.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 10:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

CYO,
I think it is as demeaning, more so in basketball. Action is continuing, and he's telling the other team he doesn't need to play defense. "You guys go ahead without me, I've got time for a phone call."
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
CYO,
I think it is as demeaning, more so in basketball. Action is continuing, and he's telling the other team he doesn't need to play defense. "You guys go ahead without me, I've got time for a phone call."
Couldn't agree with you more about it being demeaning, insulting, etc.