The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Uh, Billy…If I’m not mistaken the…let me see… how did you put it?... lane boundary… is a single line of the lane space that is apart of the lane.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post

I will NEVER agree with the fact that players have to wait until the ball hits before beginning the process of boxing out. I know, I know, I know. The reason this was done is to "clean up rebounding on free throws." The initial change -- the defender in the 4th space was not allowed to break the free throw plane to protect the free throw shooter. I was fine with that. It was getting dangerous for the FT shooter and there were some injuries particularly a number of ACL injuries to girl players. The rest of these changes to me do not make sense. We have players shooting shots from 15 feet from the basket -- many from the center of the lane (i.e. where free throws are taken from) -- ALL GAME LONG. Why is it that we are only concerned about physical play on rebounds of 15 foot shots that are taken from the free throw line that count as one point???

If we are truly concerned about safety, etc. on FTs, perhaps we should clear the lane on ALL FTs. We would then roll a special NFHS dice that would have 100 numbers on it. 73% (I believe that is the number that the NFHS said was acceptable) of the numbers would result in the ball going to the defense while 27% of the numbers would result in a throw-in by the offense under the basket. I don't agree with this at all, but it is just an extension of the current trend.
The new FT lane assignments have cleaned up rebounding, as I have observed, and the new "foot near" rule will only further serve to clean it up.

Both excellent rule changes/modifications as I have witnessed them implemented.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I've been watching this thread develop and have decided to participate. The question appears to be whether or not the "foot-plane rule" applies to the back "invisible" marked lane space boundary. Doesn't the red highlighted portion, below, answer that question? I don't understand the confusion. What am I missing?
A player occupying a marked lane space may not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the outside edge of any lane boundary, or beyond the vertical plane of any edge of the space (2 inches by 36 inches) designated by a lane-space mark or beyond the vertical plane of any edge of the space (12 inches by 36 inches) designated by a neutral zone. A player shall position one foot near the outer edge of the free-throw lane line. The other foot may be positioned anywhere within the designated 36-inch lane space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Look up LANE boundary.
Well, he quoted the right rule but highlighted the wrong part. I've highlighted, in blue, the part he should have highlighted.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Well, he quoted the right rule but highlighted the wrong part. I've highlighted, in blue, the part he should have highlighted.
Except that you need to continue highlighting the part about the lane-space marks and neutral zones. That defines what "edge" is being talked about.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 02:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
The new FT lane assignments have cleaned up rebounding, as I have observed, and the new "foot near" rule will only further serve to clean it up.

Both excellent rule changes/modifications as I have witnessed them implemented.
I understand how moving everyone up has helped. I don't understand how the "near" rule has done squat.

1. How many coaches and players are actually aware of it.
2. How many times did you see it broken last year (I know, it wasn't a rule, but the question still stands.) I never saw a single play last year that would have been addressed by this new rule, maybe it's regional.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

I still say the addition to (d) ,36" X 36" and no touch, is fine. But the add on to (g) , "near", is worthless. Even at my age, I like my chances of getting the rebound if I am given position and my opponent has to start in a 36" X 36" box.

I also haven't decided what "position one foot near the outer edge ..." means. Not "what is near" but does it need to be touching the floor or could a player just have it hovering in the air "near" the lane line while facing the back of the box waiting for the ball to hit? Kind of like a base runner in baseball but not touching the bag. And if it means it has to be touching the floor, then we're in trouble because it doesn't end until 9-1-4.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I understand how moving everyone up has helped. I don't understand how the "near" rule has done squat.

1. How many coaches and players are actually aware of it.
2. How many times did you see it broken last year (I know, it wasn't a rule, but the question still stands.) I never saw a single play last year that would have been addressed by this new rule, maybe it's regional.
Shaqs,
It was definitely done in Central Ohio -- that by tons of teams, but by a noteworthy number. I saw a number of situations last year that are no longer permitted. My first scrimmage is tomorrow night. Since the OHSAA decided to drop the Annual State Meeting, it will be interesting to see how well the word got out to coaches and referees. This "near" rule was not even discussed at our local meeting covering rule changes until I brought it up.

I still feel that the "wait til it hits rule" is unnecessary and prejudicial since it treats certain shots from 15 feet different from others. If we were really that concerned about "cleaning up" plays on rebound action, why not make everyone freeze on every shot until the ball hits something? It is up to us referees to "clean up" rebound action. Freezing players in position until a certain event then allowing collisions does not mean much to me.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 07:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Still Confused ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Look up LANE boundary.
Good catch. Too bad it doesn't say "marked lane space boundary", but it doesn't.

So, even though none of us are going to call it, theoretically, are we going to allow a player to pass his back foot through the plane of the invisible back of the marked lane space?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 07:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Any ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A player occupying a marked lane space may not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the outside edge of any lane boundary, or beyond the vertical plane of any edge of the space (2 inches by 36 inches) designated by a lane-space mark or beyond the vertical plane of any edge of the space (12 inches by 36 inches) designated by a neutral zone. A player shall position one foot near the outer edge of the free-throw lane line. The other foot may be positioned anywhere within the designated 36-inch lane space.
I'm caught up on the word "any". Why doesn't it say "the" lane boundary? Is the NFHS referring to any boundaries along the lane, possibly including the lane line, the marked lines, the neutral zone, and the invisible boundary in the back of the marked lane space? Or, in the sentence that contains the word "any", is the NFHS only referring to the lane line boundary?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 05, 2009 at 09:31pm.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone. I wish I'd never brought this up!
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 09:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Next Stop ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.
You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind; a journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. Next stop, the Twilight Zone.