The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Free throw Violation

Rule 9-1-4 states If there is a violation fist by the free-thrower's opponent followed by the free thrower or a teammate:

b. If the second violation is by the free thrower or a teammate behind the three-point line, both violations are penalized, as in penalty item (3).

9-1-3 states: If there is a simultaneous violation by each tea, the ball becomes dead and no point can be scored. Remaining free throws are administered or play is resumed by the team entitled to the alternating-possession throw-in from the spot nearest to where the simultaneous violation occurred.

Question is, if team A1 is shooting and B2, in a marked lane space, violates followed by a violation from A1; how can you penalize both. If B2 was the only one to violate you have a delayed violation and A1 is awarded a replacement throw if the throw does not go in. If A1 is the only one to violate then the ball should become dead immediately. So how is it that no point is allowed to be scored. It seems that the penalty to more harsh for team A than it is for team B especially as team B may have the opportunity to get the ball on the ap throw-in?

I think I know the rule but just don't understand the rational behind it.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not quite sure I understand your concern.

If B violates, A gets another try.

If A violates, they lose the try and the ball.

If they both violate, use the arrow -- each team gets something (the ball or the next arrow).

What would you have them do?
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

B was the first to violate. (By the rule I know its not correct.) I would like to give A another try, assuming the missed the initial one, as he was not the first to violate.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

I guess what I would like is the shooter to be treated like a player lined up in a marked lane space. Where only the first violation is penalized.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
I guess what I would like is the shooter to be treated like a player lined up in a marked lane space. Where only the first violation is penalized.
Submit a rules change proposal to your state association.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

free throw

Here is my understanding.
Before A1 releases the ball, B1 steps into the lane (disconcerts A1). If any Team A member in a lane marked space violates, then only penalize the 1st violation. If A1 happens to shoot an air ball, then again only penalize the 1st violation. State that B1's action caused A1 to be distracted, thus the airball.
Similar situation. A1 releases the ball, B1 steps into the lane (No disconcertion of A1). If any Team A member in a lane marked space violates, then only penalize the 1st violation. If A1 happens to shoot an air ball, then penalize both violations. The ball would go to the team with the next AP throw in.
Another situation. B1 violates by steping into the lane. Any Team A member NOT in a marked lane space violates, then penalize both vio;ations. The ball would go to the team with the next AP throw in.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

You are right. The penalties are not even, even though they are very similar violations. But what would be even? The penalties for A and B violating are largely mutually exclusive, one at the expense of the other. If you ignore the second violation, that's unfair to B. Heck, if that were the case, then if B stepped in early the shooter could simply run forward and dunk the ball. If you only enforce the second penalty, then B gets away with violating. I cannot see a "fair" way to penalize both violations. What we have currently I think is the best of an impossible situation. If B violates they will be penalized, which actually provides A an incentive not to violate. If they do, well, tough cookies.

:shrug:

Edited to add ---
Perhaps we solve the problem by having a jump ball at the free throw line. That way A loses their free throw, and B is rewarded. But the jump ball nearer to A's basket gives them an advantage not entirely unlike receiving a replacement throw for B's violation. Oh, and one more detail...

BillyMac has to toss the ball for the jump.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Thu Oct 29, 2009 at 03:17pm.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

I like that idea. Lets bring more jump balls to HS basketball.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 06:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Please Tell Barbra To Stop Singing In The Background ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
BillyMac has to toss the ball for the jump.
I've tossed in the free throw circle many times, too many times to count. Thank God for that new fangled alternating possession rule.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 06:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Ghost Of Jump Balls Past ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Perhaps we solve the problem by having a jump ball at the free throw line. BillyMac has to toss the ball for the jump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
Lets bring more jump balls to HS basketball.
Why are you guys picking on me. I'm sure that I'll have nightmares about this tonight. I won't be eating beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato, or gravy, tonight, for dinner. I can't take any chances. I've got to get up for work tomorrow morning.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Why are you guys picking on me. I'm sure that I'll have nightmares about this tonight. I won't be eating beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato, or gravy, tonight, for dinner. I can't take any chances. I've got to get up for work tomorrow morning.
I just have one thing to say BillyMac......He started it.