The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Free throw violation or not?

Once in awhile I see a player outside the 3 point line / free throw line extended on a free throw take a running start towards the basket but dont actually brake the plane before for it hits the rim (NHFS) or on the release(NCAA) but always see it called as a violation. I've even called it myself...nobody seems to question it but in the rule book I only seen it stated as they can not break the plane....can anyone help me out on that one?
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 12:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

And when you made the call what was the violation in your opinion?

BTW, in NCAA the restriction is the same as NFHS. Players outside the 3-pt line have to wait for the ball to hit the rim first.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Well Badnew I know he didnt break the plane but he sure got an advantage with the running start so thats why I ask
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 12:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philz
Well Badnew I know he didnt break the plane but he sure got an advantage with the running start so thats why I ask
I only ask to make you think about the play. What would your answer have been had someone questioned you on the spot. He may have gotten an advantage in your opinion but you when you blow your whistle for a violation you need to be able to back it up with a rule.

Here's the NCAA rule: 9-1.2.g. Players not in a legal marked lane space shall remain behind the freethrow line extended and behind the three-point field-goal line until the ball strikes the ring, flange or backboard, or until the free throw ends.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 02:51pm.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 12:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Maybe, but it's a legal advantage. There shouldn't be a violation here as long as they don't break the plane with their foot until the ball hits something.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

I know Badnews, but why wouldnt more players do that if its legal?....they could start out running say 20 feet before the 3 point line and time it so they break the plane just after or on the release and they would most likely get the rebound with the momentum they were able to gain before the shot.....I never see this on TV, mostly see it REC league and youth league game and alway see the Refs call it a violation and and as I stated nobody seems to question it but me and as you mentioned they just have to stay behind the line until the release which they do according to the rule but the momentum they get from getting a head start by running and timming the free throw I feel is a great advantage.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
For Fed rules on a free throw, when can players enter the lane? Does the ball have to touch the ring or can the players enter the lane if the ball touches the flange or backboard first?
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 01:03pm
MABO Member

Philz Please read this rule carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Here's the NCAA rule: 9-1.2.g. Players not in a legal marked lane space shall remain behind the freethrow line extended and behind the three-point field-goal line until the ball strikes the ring, flange or backboard, or until the free throw ends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukealex
For Fed rules on a free throw, when can players enter the lane?
lukealex - players lined up on the lane may enter after the ball is released by the shooter.
edit: sorry this is a reference to NCAA rules. FED I think is when it touches the ring, flange or backboard.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.

Last edited by SmokeEater; Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 01:07pm.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukealex
For Fed rules on a free throw, when can players enter the lane? Does the ball have to touch the ring or can the players enter the lane if the ball touches the flange or backboard first?
Touches the ring or backboard or until the free throws end.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Smoke/Badnews......I can read and I did read it before I made this post but I thought I may have missed something in the rules...... as I stated I never see this happen in any college or NBA games I seen on TV and if its legal why wouldnt more players work on that timming as I think it would really improve your chances of getting the rebound....for those reasons only I question the rule....Can any big time college ref or coach answer this for me?

Does anyone else ever see this and do you call anything? This really isnt that uncommon especially in lower levels.

If its legal to get a running start towards the Basket and time yourself breaking the 3 point / free throw line extented plane legally why wouldnt you practice that and why I never see it in higher levels of Baskeball? Its really not that hard to time it. If 9 and 10 year olds can do why dont I see this in higher level of BB? If its legal you could actually start at the mid court point and with the ability of players now you could probably jump from the 3 point line an fly though the air and grab the rebound, as long as you didnt crash into anyone....right?
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 01:36pm
MABO Member

I still don't think you are understanding that players outside the 3 point line can NOT enter until the ball hits the ring,flange or backboard. That was my intention to get you to re-read the rule.

Now my opinion on why it does not get done at higher levels. I feel it increases the possibility of a violation due to the timing required for one. Second withthe increased skill there is a higher probability that the player "crashing" the boards this way could initiate contact and therfore be called for a foul.

It is the opinon of this poster that the risks outweigh the rewards and that is why it is not done.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If its legal to get a running start towards the Basket and time yourself breaking the 3 point / free throw line extented plane legally why wouldnt you practice that and why I never see it in higher levels of Baskeball? Its really not that hard to time it. If 9 and 10 year olds can do why dont I see this in higher level of BB? If its legal you could actually start at the mid court point and with the ability of players now you could probably jump from the 3 point line an fly though the air and grab the rebound, as long as you didnt crash into anyone....right?

Trying to picture that.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Second withthe increased skill there is a higher probability that the player "crashing" the boards this way could initiate contact and therfore be called for a foul.

I agree with SmokeEater on why this does not happen more.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Wouldn’t the running and moving around by this zealous player be disconcerting to the shooter? That would be a violation.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know Badnews, but why wouldnt more players do that if its legal?....they could start out running say 20 feet before the 3 point line and time it so they break the plane just after or on the release and they would most likely get the rebound with the momentum they were able to gain before the shot.....I never see this on TV, mostly see it REC league and youth league game and alway see the Refs call it a violation and and as I stated nobody seems to question it but me and as you mentioned they just have to stay behind the line until the release which they do according to the rule but the momentum they get from getting a head start by running and timming the free throw I feel is a great advantage.
Team A, shooting, is likely to not get the rebound. If team A crashes one of the two remaining defenders, they are more succeptible to a fastbreak as team B already has a rebounding edge (unless team A crashes players). It is in the numbers. Also, this strategy is employed frequently, at all levels, at the end of close games.

Edited for spelling

Last edited by SamIAm; Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 02:29pm.