The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Is this now an automatic block in NCAA men?

YouTube - Block / Charge 2 - FIBA referee education
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 09:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Basket Interference ???

I'm not familiar with FIBA rules, but in NFHS rules, ignoring the block-charge situation that would make the ball dead, wouldn't this be offensive basket interference. It looks like the ball is dunked while it is still in the cylinder.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Regarding BI, if you watch the camera view from about floor level, it looks like the ball is outside the cylinder when touched.
Old Sat Oct 03, 2009, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
the block-charge situation that would make the ball dead
Not if it is called a block.
Old Sat Oct 03, 2009, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

Looks like a clear charging foul to me.

If you are referring to the NCAA Men's game adding an unmarked restricted area under the basket, then I believe that the defender is out in front of the basket. This is the problem with the new NCAA concept. There is no line on the floor and people will have different opinions.
Old Sat Oct 03, 2009, 06:14am
Esteemed Forum Member

"You Are Correct Sir" (Ed McMahon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
Not if it is called a block.
Good point. At least I was half right. My point was that assuming that neither a block, nor a charge, was called, just based on what occurs up near, or in, the cylinder, would you have NFHS basket interference? I respectfully disagree with bas2456. I believe that part of the ball is still in the cylinder when it is touched by the offensive player.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Oct 03, 2009 at 06:18am.
Old Sat Oct 03, 2009, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not familiar with FIBA rules, but in NFHS rules, ignoring the block-charge situation that would make the ball dead, wouldn't this be offensive basket interference. It looks like the ball is dunked while it is still in the cylinder.
I'd say "ignoring the block-charge situation that would make the ball unplayable": in that case neither the offense nor the defense may touch the ball, be it in the cylinder or not. Since the ball leaves the shooter's hand before contact, it's not dead when the contact happens, under some rule sets (it would be dead in Fed if the foul is a charge, I guess, it wouldn't be in FIBA).

In FIBA there's no cylinder: less problems for the officials. The defense is not allowed to touch the ball when it is within the basket; reaching through the basket from below and touch the ball is not allowed to either teams.
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good point. At least I was half right. My point was that assuming that neither a block, nor a charge, was called, just based on what occurs up near, or in, the cylinder, would you have NFHS basket interference? I respectfully disagree with bas2456. I believe that part of the ball is still in the cylinder when it is touched by the offensive player.
At :36 seconds you can see the ball is clearly out of the cylinder.

Not sure about the NCAA block-charge... the interp is tough and I need more input/direction before I fully understand how to call this.
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unless it has recently changed, FIBA rules allow anyone to touch the ball after it hits the rim, whether it is in or out of the cylinder. The key is it has to hit the rim first.
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 11:18am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathertime View Post
Unless it has recently changed, FIBA rules allow anyone to touch the ball after it hits the rim, whether it is in or out of the cylinder. The key is it has to hit the rim first.
and the ball can not be in contact with the rim when it is touched. Like eg-italy said no cylinder in FIBA

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
and the ball can not be in contact with the rim when it is touched.
Not at all. Once the ball has touched the ring it is playable by everybody.

Quote:
31.2.3 The goal tending restrictions apply until:
• The ball no longer has the possibility of entering the basket during the shot.
• The ball has touched the ring.
However
Quote:
31.2.4 Interference occurs during a shot for a field goal when:
• A player touches the basket or the backboard while the ball is in contact with the ring.
• A player reaches through the basket from below and touches the ball. This is valid also on a pass and also after the ball has touched the ring.
• A defensive player touches the ball or the basket while the ball is within the basket and it prevents the ball from passing through the basket.
Ciao
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 07:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sometimes Seeing Ain't Believing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
At :36 seconds you can see the ball is clearly out of the cylinder.
bbcof83: You're right. Thanks. I had to pause it several times to see it, but at the 35-36 second mark, the ball is definitely outside the cylinder. If I had to make this call (just the basket interference, not the block charge) from the trial position in a real game, I would be dead wrong. Probably would be some technical foul activity with the coach after I waved off the basket.