The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Last second block- NCAA game

Check out this play- seems to work better for IE. End of the Irvine Pacific game.
http://www.bigwest.org/

http://recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...ORTS/803140339

"The follow was before the buzzer," said head referee Dick Cartmell, who worked with Bobby Pultz and Guy Thomas. "Only in the NBA is a pin considered a goaltend. In college, (the ball) has to be going down.

"When we discussed it, we discussed whether it was a goaltend or not. Had it been a goaltend, then we would have had to review it (on a television monitor). Once it's reviewed as not a goaltend, the game was over."
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
No way it was a goaltend. That was a great on that game.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 10:32am
Courageous When Prudent

Great defensive play. Hustle, game awareness. A good job by the crew in getting the call right.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

No Call

I was there and didn't think they missed it live. The video confirmed it.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
QUOTE=socalreff]I was there and didn't think they missed it live. The video confirmed it.
Hey SoCal in that article where Dick Cartmell said they could go to the replay to
confirm it was made basket, can they really?? I was looking in my NCAA Book and at the material from our NCAA clinic and it say's the official can't use the monitor to review a basket interference or goal tending call. I think what it was trying to say was, if they did call a goaltend, they would have to go to the monitor and review it to see when it occurred and put time on the clock. Maybe you can interpret it better than I can. I know for sure it was a Goaltend though [/QUOTE]
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
Hey SoCal in that article where Dick Cartmell said they could go to the replay to
confirm it was made basket, can they really?? I was looking in my NCAA Book and at the material from our NCAA clinic and it say's the official can't use the monitor to review a basket interference or goal tending call. I think what it was trying to say was, if they did call a goaltend, they would have to go to the monitor and review it to see when it occurred and put time on the clock. Maybe you can interpret it better than I can. I know for sure it was a Goaltend though
[/QUOTE]
He was saying that they had to make a dtermination if it was goaltending or not. If they had ruled goaltending, they "shall" go to the monitor to see if the shot was released and/or how much time would have remained after the violation. Since it was not goaltending, they cannot and need not go to the monitor.