The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmoore View Post
77) The offensive team can not be in a spot that is designated for the denfensive player correct?.
Incorrect for FED rules.
Correct for NCAAW rules.
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Only the first lane spaces are restricted to defense only. The last two spaces are for the defense if they want them, and the middle two are for the offense if they want them. If the preferred occupants decline to occupy those four spaces, the other team may take them if they desire.

Note the difference in wording between article 4c and the next two, 4d and 4e. 4c uses "shall" and the other two use "may."

Not only may the offense not use the the first spaces if the defense declines, the defense may not decline to use them.
You're right it says "may", but it doesn't say that the other team may take the spots if the original team doesn't want them.

Does that mean that it's legal?
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

That is the way it was explained to me from the Illinois high School Assoc. that if the team that "may" be there is not then the rules does not provide that the "other " team can be there
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is the way it was explained to me from the Illinois high School Assoc. that if the team that "may" be there is not then the rules does not provide that the "other " team can be there
That makes sense...thanks
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
77)f. Players shall be permitted to move along and across the lane to occupy a vacant marked lane space within the limitations listed in this rule.
Your answer is in f. (see above) If it's vacant and not the first space closest to the endline, the opponent can have it as long as they stay within the limits of 4 defensive players and 2 offensive.

Mregor
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
That makes sense...thanks
It may make sense to you, but it is wrong.

Mregor
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Do you have a citation?
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 11:21pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
do you have a citation?
8-1-4

...,four defensive players are permitted in any of the first three vacant marked lane spaces.

Last edited by tjones1; Tue Sep 29, 2009 at 11:26pm.
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
77) Except for the first marked lane spaces that must be occupied by the defense during a free throw, players are permitted to occupy any vacant marked lane space within the numerical limits.

The offensive team can not be in a spot that is designated for the denfensive player correct?

The answer key say this is a true question

ART. 4 . . . During a free throw, lane spaces may be occupied as follows:
a. Marked lane spaces may be occupied by a maximum of four defensive and
two offensive players.
b. The lane areas from the end line up to, and including, the neutral-zone
marks, shall remain vacant.
c. The first marked lane spaces on each side of the lane, above and adjacent
to the neutral-zone marks, shall be occupied by opponents of the free
thrower. No teammate of the free thrower shall occupy either of these
marked lane spaces.
d. The second marked lane spaces on each side may be occupied by
teammates of the free thrower.
e. The third marked lane spaces on each side, nearest the free thrower, may
be occupied by the opponents of the free thrower.
f. Players shall be permitted to move along and across the lane to occupy a
vacant marked lane space within the limitations listed in this rule.

g. Not more than one player may occupy any part of a marked lane space.

Help.........
It says right there in part f that the players SHALL BE PERMITTED TO MOVE.

Unlike the NCAAW game, if the team entitled to the spot doesn't want it, the opponent may take it at the NFHS level, except for the first two defensive spots nearest to the basket.
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 09:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
There are plenty of others here from Illinois, perhaps one of them will confirm whether the state is off its rocker.

People seem to forget that if it's not forbidden in the rules, it's allowed.
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Within reason. Digging a trench down the middle of the court and filling it with mead is not forbidden in the rules, but I don't think I'd allow it.
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There are plenty of others here from Illinois, perhaps one of them will confirm whether the state is off its rocker.

GMoore's explanation does NOT match anything I have seen from the IHSA or interpreters. All I have seen matches the rest of what was posted here -- each team gets a "first option" to occupy certain spaces, but if they choose not to exercise that option, the other team can take it (within the overall number restrictions)
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

trick questions?

Having problems dealing with three of the questions on the test above because the wording just doesn't seem to jive (at least in my warped mind).

11. There are three marked lane spaces on each lane boundary line, each measuring 36 inches by 36 inches.

Well, the actual markings aren't 36x36. But both the rule book and casebook make references to this 36x36 area. So is this true or false?

14. During free-throw attempts resulting from a technical foul, substitutions may be made only after the final attempt has been converted.

Can't find the answer to this anywhere. Logic told me it was true. But I'm bothered by the word "converted." So if the second FT isn't good, there can't be substitutions even after it clanks off the rim and before play resume? Really?

69. The basketball shall be spherical and have a deeply pebbled cover with any number of horizontally shaped panels.

Any number? Really? It could have 1,000 panels? Just about all of this is lifted right out of the rule book except for "any number," which makes me want to say false.

I'd be interested in hearing what folks have to say about these. Some of the previous discussions were very helpful. Thanks. Mike
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomike View Post
Having problems dealing with three of the questions on the test above because the wording just doesn't seem to jive (at least in my warped mind).

11. There are three marked lane spaces on each lane boundary line, each measuring 36 inches by 36 inches.

Well, the actual markings aren't 36x36. But both the rule book and casebook make references to this 36x36 area. So is this true or false?

14. During free-throw attempts resulting from a technical foul, substitutions may be made only after the final attempt has been converted.

Can't find the answer to this anywhere. Logic told me it was true. But I'm bothered by the word "converted." So if the second FT isn't good, there can't be substitutions even after it clanks off the rim and before play resume? Really?

69. The basketball shall be spherical and have a deeply pebbled cover with any number of horizontally shaped panels.

Any number? Really? It could have 1,000 panels? Just about all of this is lifted right out of the rule book except for "any number," which makes me want to say false.

I'd be interested in hearing what folks have to say about these. Some of the previous discussions were very helpful. Thanks. Mike
11. Where is the marking for the back side of a lane space? Where are the markings for spaces around the jump circle? Where are the markings for the bench area? Are all spaces entirely marked?

14. Who can shoot a technical foul free throw? If the answer includes substitutes, how do you get them into the game to shoot those free throws?

69. It may help you to know that the rule regarding the ball used to specify exactly 8 segments. A few years ago, that requirement (restriction?) was removed.