The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 12, 2009, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Mockery or not

AAU woman's tournament today. Team A was leading by about 15 points with under 2 minutes to play. Team A decided they were not going to play defense and only play offense. In obvious disgust for his team's inability to play defense (all of a sudden) the coach of team A instructs his girls to throw the ball out of bounds every time they have possession of the ball. So team B would score, team A would inbound the ball and immediately throw the ball out of bounds. Team A's coach then instructed his team to play defense. This repeated until the end of the game.

Team A still won the game but was coach making a mockery of the game deserving a T or are other officials ok with this tactic and say play on?
Old Sat Sep 12, 2009, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Mick this one is for you " get in, get done, get out".
Old Sat Sep 12, 2009, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

add another wrinkle, does it change if it a school game?
Old Sat Sep 12, 2009, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
add another wrinkle, does it change if it a school game?
No (at least not for an official). It's right to think this is "wrong", but it's wrong to think an official can make it right.
Old Sat Sep 12, 2009, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Don't be an OOO, there's two minutes left. Get done, get out. Nothing good will come of this.

"No good deed goes unpunished."
Old Sat Sep 12, 2009, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

This example isn't a mockery of the game. A mockery of the game was something like I had once in a rec league game -- some idiot decides that since they are losing, we're to blame and he's going to show us. He grabs a live ball and starts running with it without dribbling. My partner called a travel, I said, no, that's the ball game (~30 seconds left). League director came down and kicked his team out!
Old Sat Sep 12, 2009, 08:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

i agree with Texas. This isn't a mockery, not to mention a travesty. You may or may not agree with the coach's teaching tactic in this game, but that's what it is. Personally, I don't have a problem with it, particularly in lower levels.

It may not be appropriate for a high school game, however. That said, I'm with Bob, it's not our job to make that decision.
Old Sat Sep 12, 2009, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

I would say it's not a mockery. Not our job to correct a teaching tech. we may not agree with. I, personally, almost admire the coach.
Old Sun Sep 13, 2009, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Seams preety harmless to me. He is just giving his kids one way to win, with defence only. If they lose that game it's on them. I bet they don't slack off on "D" again.
Old Sun Sep 13, 2009, 12:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Time Is Of The Essence" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
There's two minutes left.
Does it make any difference if this occurs at the beginning of the fourth period? How about the beginning of the second half? In a high school varsity game?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Sep 15, 2009, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Talking

or how about if it occurs while the ball is a dead ball, and it never becomes a live ball- the inbounder just hucks it diagonally across the sideline into the stands?

or how about if he knocks one of the opponents cheer leaders, no, their mascot, knocks their mascot over with the inbounds pass, is that a mockery?

Or, what if the visiting team inbounder rips down one of the league banners hanging on the near by wall, throws it into a nearby trash can, then bends over and hikes the ball between his legs the length of the court and swishes it? How 'bout that one? Do you T the site manager?
Old Tue Sep 15, 2009, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
No (at least not for an official). It's right to think this is "wrong", but it's wrong to think an official can make it right.
Brilliant.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2009, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcoach7 View Post
or how about if it occurs while the ball is a dead ball, and it never becomes a live ball- the inbounder just hucks it diagonally across the sideline into the stands?

or how about if he knocks one of the opponents cheer leaders, no, their mascot, knocks their mascot over with the inbounds pass, is that a mockery?

Or, what if the visiting team inbounder rips down one of the league banners hanging on the near by wall, throws it into a nearby trash can, then bends over and hikes the ball between his legs the length of the court and swishes it? How 'bout that one? Do you T the site manager?
I think you should start a new thread. I will even help you with a title,
"What to do when the ridiculous occurs"
Old Tue Sep 15, 2009, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

A travesty by any other name

Delilberately throwing the ball away with two minutes left? How is that not making a travesty of the game? Sorry coach, you keep it up and it's gonna be a 2-0 final.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2009, 11:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
Delilberately throwing the ball away with two minutes left? How is that not making a travesty of the game? Sorry coach, you keep it up and it's gonna be a 2-0 final.
Good luck with that, ref.