The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Mockery or not (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/54612-mockery-not.html)

SAK Sat Sep 12, 2009 04:03pm

Mockery or not

AAU woman's tournament today. Team A was leading by about 15 points with under 2 minutes to play. Team A decided they were not going to play defense and only play offense. In obvious disgust for his team's inability to play defense (all of a sudden) the coach of team A instructs his girls to throw the ball out of bounds every time they have possession of the ball. So team B would score, team A would inbound the ball and immediately throw the ball out of bounds. Team A's coach then instructed his team to play defense. This repeated until the end of the game.

Team A still won the game but was coach making a mockery of the game deserving a T or are other officials ok with this tactic and say play on?

Dave Dow Sat Sep 12, 2009 05:10pm

Mick this one is for you " get in, get done, get out".:)

SAK Sat Sep 12, 2009 05:52pm

add another wrinkle, does it change if it a school game?

bob jenkins Sat Sep 12, 2009 06:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 625011)
add another wrinkle, does it change if it a school game?

No (at least not for an official). It's right to think this is "wrong", but it's wrong to think an official can make it right.

eyezen Sat Sep 12, 2009 06:43pm

Don't be an OOO, there's two minutes left. Get done, get out. Nothing good will come of this.

"No good deed goes unpunished."

Texas Aggie Sat Sep 12, 2009 08:21pm

This example isn't a mockery of the game. A mockery of the game was something like I had once in a rec league game -- some idiot decides that since they are losing, we're to blame and he's going to show us. He grabs a live ball and starts running with it without dribbling. My partner called a travel, I said, no, that's the ball game (~30 seconds left). League director came down and kicked his team out!

Adam Sat Sep 12, 2009 08:49pm

i agree with Texas. This isn't a mockery, not to mention a travesty. You may or may not agree with the coach's teaching tactic in this game, but that's what it is. Personally, I don't have a problem with it, particularly in lower levels.

It may not be appropriate for a high school game, however. That said, I'm with Bob, it's not our job to make that decision.

jkohls Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:57pm

I would say it's not a mockery. Not our job to correct a teaching tech. we may not agree with. I, personally, almost admire the coach.

AKOFL Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:24am

Seams preety harmless to me. He is just giving his kids one way to win,:cool: with defence only. If they lose that game it's on them. I bet they don't slack off on "D" again.

BillyMac Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:40pm

"Time Is Of The Essence" ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 625019)
There's two minutes left.

Does it make any difference if this occurs at the beginning of the fourth period? How about the beginning of the second half? In a high school varsity game?

bbcoach7 Tue Sep 15, 2009 01:17am

or how about if it occurs while the ball is a dead ball, and it never becomes a live ball- the inbounder just hucks it diagonally across the sideline into the stands?

or how about if he knocks one of the opponents cheer leaders, no, their mascot, knocks their mascot over with the inbounds pass, is that a mockery?

Or, what if the visiting team inbounder rips down one of the league banners hanging on the near by wall, throws it into a nearby trash can, then bends over and hikes the ball between his legs the length of the court and swishes it? How 'bout that one? Do you T the site manager?;)

SamIAm Tue Sep 15, 2009 07:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 625016)
No (at least not for an official). It's right to think this is "wrong", but it's wrong to think an official can make it right.

Brilliant.

SamIAm Tue Sep 15, 2009 07:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcoach7 (Post 625368)
or how about if it occurs while the ball is a dead ball, and it never becomes a live ball- the inbounder just hucks it diagonally across the sideline into the stands?

or how about if he knocks one of the opponents cheer leaders, no, their mascot, knocks their mascot over with the inbounds pass, is that a mockery?

Or, what if the visiting team inbounder rips down one of the league banners hanging on the near by wall, throws it into a nearby trash can, then bends over and hikes the ball between his legs the length of the court and swishes it? How 'bout that one? Do you T the site manager?;)

I think you should start a new thread. I will even help you with a title,
"What to do when the ridiculous occurs"

amusedofficial Tue Sep 15, 2009 08:03am

A travesty by any other name

Delilberately throwing the ball away with two minutes left? How is that not making a travesty of the game? Sorry coach, you keep it up and it's gonna be a 2-0 final.

Adam Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by amusedofficial (Post 625393)
Delilberately throwing the ball away with two minutes left? How is that not making a travesty of the game? Sorry coach, you keep it up and it's gonna be a 2-0 final.

Good luck with that, ref.