The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

Handling Unusual Situations

Hey All,

I worked a couple of games (in a two person crew) in a local rec league for high school aged kids. I recognized some of the kids as having played (or are still playing) high school ball in the area.

The first game went by alright but the second game was difficult. We had a whiny coach from the Black team. The "coach" wasn't really a coach. He whined about little things the whole night and incited his team to whine more (especially after they lost). His team had some hot heads along the way and that created some situations where players had to be separated, technical fouls handed out, etc.

In any case, I had a very forceful and decisive partner with me (former high school and college player). She actually has less years of experience than me, but had moved up quicker than I have.

I've officiated a long time and I sometimes feel like I get passive in intense situations. It's almost like I don't know what to do or I hope that things will work out in the end. I guess my partner was not like that and took control of things (which was fine).

Had anyone ever felt that way about themselves and how did they learn to be more "proactive" than more "reactive" or "passive" (like me)?

I feel like this part of of my "officiating game" is or will hold me back from getting better games in the future.

Thanks for the thoughts!
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 06:59am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
For me this was about experience and getting games under my belt. When I first started out I was a bit timid and unsure too. But, the more games you do, the more plays you see, the more situations you find yourself in, the easier it gets.

Watching how your partner handled herself also is a good learning experience - which you seem to have picked up on. Go to games and watch how senior officials handle situations and try to do the same.

Ya shouldn't have let the coach yap, yap, yap as his players saw what he got away with and ran with it - nip it in the bud early! Sometimes a word with the coach or a short chat early can head this off. If not, take care of business.

Taking charge and good game management skills can be learned, but sometimes take a while to develop. At least you know you have an area of your game you want to work on and can in future games!

My $.02. Good luck!
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 08:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Don't be afraid to deal with the coach early for the yapping. I think this is the most difficult part of "game management." Nothing he says deserves a T by itself, but ABS eventually gets him there. Best thing I've ever done is take a moment to talk quietly to him and let him know, politely, that he won't be able to continue the chirping. Something along the lines of, "Coach, if I get a chance I'll answer a question now and then, but I can't have you questioning every call."

See what works. Again, I've found this is the hardest coach to be proactive with, because you're thinking he's not really going over the top. The problem is coaches like this always have players just like them.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 10:59am
certified Hot Mom tester

Me - being too passive with a coach?!?!?!?

Not in this lifetime.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
See what works. Again, I've found this is the hardest coach to be proactive with, because you're thinking he's not really going over the top. The problem is coaches like this always have players just like them.
That's certainly been my experience.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41 View Post
Hey All,

I worked a couple of games (in a two person crew) in a local rec league for high school aged kids. I recognized some of the kids as having played (or are still playing) high school ball in the area.

The first game went by alright but the second game was difficult. We had a whiny coach from the Black team. The "coach" wasn't really a coach. He whined about little things the whole night and incited his team to whine more (especially after they lost). His team had some hot heads along the way and that created some situations where players had to be separated, technical fouls handed out, etc.

In any case, I had a very forceful and decisive partner with me (former high school and college player). She actually has less years of experience than me, but had moved up quicker than I have.

I've officiated a long time and I sometimes feel like I get passive in intense situations. It's almost like I don't know what to do or I hope that things will work out in the end. I guess my partner was not like that and took control of things (which was fine).

Had anyone ever felt that way about themselves and how did they learn to be more "proactive" than more "reactive" or "passive" (like me)?

I feel like this part of of my "officiating game" is or will hold me back from getting better games in the future.

Thanks for the thoughts!
Personally I think it's part of human nature. You tend to over think the situation of what you'd do then when the time comes you doubt yourself further complicating the situation. I can tell you this is my 1st year umpiring and whats helped me is the other ump I work with has helped me and there good people that can joke on the side further keeping things on the light side.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
For me this was about experience and getting games under my belt. When I first started out I was a bit timid and unsure too. But, the more games you do, the more plays you see, the more situations you find yourself in, the easier it gets.

Watching how your partner handled herself also is a good learning experience - which you seem to have picked up on. Go to games and watch how senior officials handle situations and try to do the same.

Ya shouldn't have let the coach yap, yap, yap as his players saw what he got away with and ran with it - nip it in the bud early! Sometimes a word with the coach or a short chat early can head this off. If not, take care of business.

Taking charge and good game management skills can be learned, but sometimes take a while to develop. At least you know you have an area of your game you want to work on and can in future games!

My $.02. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice as this goes for me as well. I'm now getting ready to start my 1st year reffing basketball after having done my 1st year umping and it's fun but can be challenging at times.As you get more games under your belt you'll gain the trust of the coaches as a whole I feel.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 06:48pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41 View Post
We had a whiny coach from the Black team. The "coach" wasn't really a coach. He whined about little things the whole night and incited his team to whine more (especially after they lost). His team had some hot heads along the way and that created some situations where players had to be separated, technical fouls handed out, etc.

Absolutely! When I didn't know any better.

1. Warn
2. Whack
3. Toss
(repeat steps 1-3 with the asst. coach, if neccessary)

It seems as though players received Ts & it sounds as if the coach should've got one, perhaps two.

Sometimes assessing a T to a coach makes the game better. Better for him, his players & US too. If the first one doesn't make it better, the second one will for sure!

Take charge in those situations (before it gets you off your game) be a leader when adversity arises... especially if you're trying to come up in the game.

Nobody is hiring U2s!

Last edited by Ch1town; Sat Aug 22, 2009 at 07:06pm.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Once you give your first T to a coach for being a twit, they seem to come easier after that. They're easier to recognize and easier to actually pull the trigger on. I regret not giving a T a couple of times, but I don't regret any that I handed out.

Any time I've given a coach or player a T, it has stopped the problem cold. I don't usually hear a peep after a T.
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input. I do have to relax during the crazy situations. I'm not a rookie but I think I haven't quite grasped the game management side of officiating, at least at the high school level.

A part of it may just be having confidence. I have confidence in my officiating ("the whistle blowing"). However, when you are unsure of how to handle coaches or other situations, it sometimes shows. Coaches like to jump on that. I think I need to learn to just be assertive (not as easy as it sounds) and take charge.
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 01:37am
Do not give a damn!!

I learned really early on by some wonderful mentors what my role was as an official. That really helped me build on how I deal with coaches. I know this is going to sound arrogant to some, but we are in charge and we have the final say. That being said that basically means to me that no matter what a coach says really is not going to change what takes place unless you let it. Of course I want to work with them, but I do not need their approval to do my job. As long as I study the rules, know my mechanics and use them, what a coach says really means little to nothing in the bigger picture. I feel that approach has helped me put their whining or criticize in perspective. There are still times when I might doubt what I am doing or what I say, but it does not last very long. Again, this comes from very good people teaching me the ropes so I do not question my ability to deal with these things very often. Also I think another gift I have or learned early on, that if you are doing your job well, someone is not going to like what you do. You will never make everyone happy no matter how much you would like that to be.

Peace