View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 01:37am
Do not give a damn!!

I learned really early on by some wonderful mentors what my role was as an official. That really helped me build on how I deal with coaches. I know this is going to sound arrogant to some, but we are in charge and we have the final say. That being said that basically means to me that no matter what a coach says really is not going to change what takes place unless you let it. Of course I want to work with them, but I do not need their approval to do my job. As long as I study the rules, know my mechanics and use them, what a coach says really means little to nothing in the bigger picture. I feel that approach has helped me put their whining or criticize in perspective. There are still times when I might doubt what I am doing or what I say, but it does not last very long. Again, this comes from very good people teaching me the ropes so I do not question my ability to deal with these things very often. Also I think another gift I have or learned early on, that if you are doing your job well, someone is not going to like what you do. You will never make everyone happy no matter how much you would like that to be.

Peace