View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
For me this was about experience and getting games under my belt. When I first started out I was a bit timid and unsure too. But, the more games you do, the more plays you see, the more situations you find yourself in, the easier it gets.

Watching how your partner handled herself also is a good learning experience - which you seem to have picked up on. Go to games and watch how senior officials handle situations and try to do the same.

Ya shouldn't have let the coach yap, yap, yap as his players saw what he got away with and ran with it - nip it in the bud early! Sometimes a word with the coach or a short chat early can head this off. If not, take care of business.

Taking charge and good game management skills can be learned, but sometimes take a while to develop. At least you know you have an area of your game you want to work on and can in future games!

My $.02. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice as this goes for me as well. I'm now getting ready to start my 1st year reffing basketball after having done my 1st year umping and it's fun but can be challenging at times.As you get more games under your belt you'll gain the trust of the coaches as a whole I feel.