View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

Handling Unusual Situations

Hey All,

I worked a couple of games (in a two person crew) in a local rec league for high school aged kids. I recognized some of the kids as having played (or are still playing) high school ball in the area.

The first game went by alright but the second game was difficult. We had a whiny coach from the Black team. The "coach" wasn't really a coach. He whined about little things the whole night and incited his team to whine more (especially after they lost). His team had some hot heads along the way and that created some situations where players had to be separated, technical fouls handed out, etc.

In any case, I had a very forceful and decisive partner with me (former high school and college player). She actually has less years of experience than me, but had moved up quicker than I have.

I've officiated a long time and I sometimes feel like I get passive in intense situations. It's almost like I don't know what to do or I hope that things will work out in the end. I guess my partner was not like that and took control of things (which was fine).

Had anyone ever felt that way about themselves and how did they learn to be more "proactive" than more "reactive" or "passive" (like me)?

I feel like this part of of my "officiating game" is or will hold me back from getting better games in the future.

Thanks for the thoughts!