The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 04:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mendi Send a message via MSN to mendi Send a message via Skype™ to mendi
If in the middle of dribble the ball came to rest on floor

no one else touch the ball.
1) can you continue to dribble? (by slaping the ball from the top causing it to jump)

2) if somone else just touch the ball (not really a control) can you pick up the ball and dribble?
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 06:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Bet Your House On These Answers ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendi View Post
If somone else just touch the ball (not really a control) can you pick up the ball and dribble?
NFHS 9-5: A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
ART. 1 A try for field goal.
ART. 2 A touch by an opponent.
ART. 3 A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by, another player.

If touched by an oponent: Play on.
If touched by a teammate, since the ball was not fumbled, or passed: Illegal
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
NFHS 9-5: A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended,
And, when does the first dribble end? You need that information to answer the OP.

Of course, the real world answer is "day game or night game?"
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 08:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And, when does the first dribble end? You need that information to answer the OP.

Turf or grass?
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mendi Send a message via MSN to mendi Send a message via Skype™ to mendi
Ball in rest on the floor is "end of dribble"?

?
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
What argument could you possibly make that it isn't the end of the dribble?
Art. 4. The dribble ends when:
a. The dribbler catches or carries/palms the ball by allowing it to come
to rest in one or both hands;
b. The dribbler touches the ball with both hands simultaneously;
c. An opponent bats the ball; or
d. The ball becomes dead.

(that's the NCAA rule; the NFHS rule is similar / the same).

It's more likely to be an interrupted dribble. So, the OP becomes, "can you continue an interrupted dribble? I hope that answer is obvious.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

This is an odd situation. I can think of it happening if the dribbler somehow falls to the ground and slams the ball to the floor with his hand on top of the ball, so that the ball comes to rest. I don't see that as an interrupted dribble. But it also doesn't meet any of the ways a dribble has ended.

So we're saying that the dribbler can slap the top of the ball to "continue" their dribble? I am having a hard time seeing this as legal, but I'm also not seeing anything that says it isn't legal.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 11:06am
Ch1town

Quote:
This is an odd situation. I can think of it happening if the dribbler somehow falls to the ground and slams the ball to the floor with his hand on top of the ball, so that the ball comes to rest. I don't see that as an interrupted dribble. But it also doesn't meet any of the ways a dribble has ended.

So we're saying that the dribbler can slap the top of the ball to "continue" their dribble? I am having a hard time seeing this as legal, but I'm also not seeing anything that says it isn't legal.
Probably because due to defensive play, 9 out of 10 times we will have a held ball, t/o request or a foul in that situation.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I see that as coming to rest in one hand....the ball stops moving and is in a extended contact with one hand.

Quote:
If it otherwise comes to rest on the floor...dribbler let it bounce until it stopped and no other player intervened...I'd let the dribbler continue with a slap on the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Probably because due to defensive play, 9 out of 10 times we will have a held ball, t/o request or a foul in that situation.
Or course, this is a goofy situation that may never happen, but it is this sort of mental play situation that can get a person to examine the rule more completely and how it applies to real situations.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

it can happen and i saw it happnds lot of time

specially when the player dribble very low, and if the ball slide away it will now be on rest or rolling on the floor ( i hope the ball in rest or rolling on the floor is the same rule).
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 03:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
specially when the player dribble very low, and if the ball slide away it will now be on rest or rolling on the floor ( i hope the ball in rest or rolling on the floor is the same rule).
I would allow them to continue by slapping the ball into a dribble. The dribble never ended. You don't ever see this in organized ball, the defenses would never allow it to go that long.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 05:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

They Are Simliar ...

Quote:
Art. 4. The dribble ends when:
a. The dribbler catches or carries/palms the ball by allowing it to come to rest in one or both hands;
b. The dribbler touches the ball with both hands simultaneously;
c. An opponent bats the ball; or
d. The ball becomes dead.
(that's the NCAA rule; the NFHS rule is similar / the same).
It's more likely to be an interrupted dribble. So, the OP becomes, "can you continue an interrupted dribble? I hope that answer is obvious.
NFHS 4-15 DRIBBLE
ART. 4 The dribble ends when:
a. The dribbler catches or causes the ball to come to rest in one or both hands.
b. The dribbler palms/carries the ball by allowing it to come to rest in one or both hands.
c. The dribbler simultaneously touches the ball with both hands.
d. The ball touches or is touched by an opponent and causes the dribbler to lose control.
e. The ball becomes dead.
ART. 5 An interrupted dribble occurs when the ball is loose after deflecting off the dribbler or after it momentarily gets away from the dribbler. There is no player control during an interrupted dribble.
ART. 6 During an interrupted dribble:
a. A closely guarded count shall not be started or shall be terminated.
b. A player-control foul cannot be committed.
c. A time-out request shall not be granted.
d. Out-of-bounds violation does not apply on the player involved in the interrupted dribble.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
NFHS 4-15 DRIBBLE
ART. 4 The dribble ends when:
a. The dribbler catches or causes the ball to come to rest in one or both hands.
b. The dribbler palms/carries the ball by allowing it to come to rest in one or both hands.
c. The dribbler simultaneously touches the ball with both hands.
d. The ball touches or is touched by an opponent and causes the dribbler to lose control.
e. The ball becomes dead.
ART. 5 An interrupted dribble occurs when the ball is loose after deflecting off the dribbler or after it momentarily gets away from the dribbler. There is no player control during an interrupted dribble.
ART. 6 During an interrupted dribble:
a. A closely guarded count shall not be started or shall be terminated.
b. A player-control foul cannot be committed.
c. A time-out request shall not be granted.
d. Out-of-bounds violation does not apply on the player involved in the interrupted dribble.
So if while you dribbleing you fall on the court and the ball come to rest on the floor and one of your hands is on the top of the ball, you cant continue dribbling. am i right? but what if you left the ball for 1 second can you take it back? or is double dribble? what about the case that you roll the ball on the floor is it acount as dribble?

Last edited by mendi; Wed Aug 05, 2009 at 06:09pm.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 06:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rolling Start ???

Quote:
What about the case that you roll the ball on the floor is it count as dribble?
I would think that this would be the start of a dribble:

NFHS 4-15 DRIBBLE
ART. 1 A dribble is ball movement caused by a player in control who bats (intentionally strikes the ball with the hand(s)) or pushes the ball to the floor once or several times.
ART. 2 During a dribble the ball may be batted into the air provided it is permitted to strike the floor before the ball is touched again with the hand(s).
ART. 3 The dribble may be started by pushing, throwing or batting the ball to the floor before the pivot foot is lifted.