The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 02:24pm

Touching ball to floor

This concerns the situation where a player has picked up his dribble and is holding the ball and sort of leans over and he touches the ball to the floor. By rule this isn't a dribble but from the stands comes the usual nonsense hollering for a double dribble.

At some pint in history does anybody know if this used to be considered a dribble? Or is it an NBA rule or something? I'm just wondering where the confusion might come from.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

The confusion comes a lack of oxygen caused from fans having their heads placed firmly in a methane-filled environment.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 02:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

BTW - there's no such violation as a "double" dribble - the correct term is "illegal" dribble. Next time a coach yells at you for not calling a "double" dribble, tell him there's no such thing. Fun will ensue.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 03:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
BTW - there's no such violation as a "double" dribble - the correct term is "illegal" dribble. Next time a coach yells at you for not calling a "double" dribble, tell him there's no such thing. Fun will ensue.
Sounds like it could be a great time. I'll try that this summer with the AAU types and let you know how it goes. I'll also tell them about how there is no such thing as over the back and reaching. If we turn on a camera we might have an episode for the Jerry Springer Show.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ive said that before -- along with over the back and reach

the usual response is "of course there is" / "where did they find you i am going to tell whoever is running this tourney that you dont know the rules"

my response to that is always "be my guest"
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 10:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
ive said that before -- along with over the back and reach

the usual response is "of course there is" / "where did they find you i am going to tell whoever is running this tourney that you dont know the rules"

my response to that is always "be my guest"
Haven't you ever said to a coach, "Ya' wanna' bet on it, Sparky?" Tell him you have a rule book in your bag and you can look it up. If he's right, you'll give him $100, but if you're right, he has to hand wash and wax your car. I haven't had a coach take me up on this yet.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 11:50pm

Quote:
Haven't you ever said to a coach, "Ya' wanna' bet on it, Sparky?" Tell him you have a rule book in your bag and you can look it up. If he's right, you'll give him $100, but if you're right, he has to hand wash and wax your car. I haven't had a coach take me up on this yet.
Agreed. The "wanna bet $100" line creates instant dead air. I reserve that only for the summer AAU types. I haven't used it on a real coach yet.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did this a couple of years ago and the coach refused to pay up. After the game (boys AAU) ended, the coach and 3 of his players walked by where my partner and I were changing shoes before leaving the gym. He remarked that I was wrong on a call (I had made the bet with him earlier). I pulled out the rule book and showed him where I was right. He said it didn't matter, because he wasn't going to pay up. His players immediately started pointing fingers and laughing at him for losing. Man, he was PO'd. That was the best part of the game.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj
Agreed. The "wanna bet $100" line creates instant dead air. I reserve that only for the summer AAU types. I haven't used it on a real coach yet.
Summer coaches are people too.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 01:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrpalmer3
Summer coaches are people too.
You're assuming all coaches are people. Never assume.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 01:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You're assuming all coaches are people. Never assume.
I think he miss-spelled "some," as in "some coaches are...." I don't think I can disagree with that.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
While there is no such violation as a "double dribble", obviously a double dribble is a violation. This is akin to saying there a "hack" is not a foul. If you've been hacked, you know it's a foul. It hurts, LOL.

As someone pointed out here recently, NFHS just writes the rule books. A lot of the terminology pre-dates the NFHS. Just because the Fed changes its jargon doesn't mean the rest of the world has to follow suit.

Calling a "discontinue" or a "carry" or a "palm" or a "double dribble" an "illegal dribble" may be technically correct, but nowhere near as easy to say or as descriptive.

Why not just have one foul call, for that matter. Why hold, block, push, trip, etc.? Why not just "Foul"?
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
While there is no such violation as a "double dribble", obviously a double dribble is a violation. This is akin to saying there a "hack" is not a foul. If you've been hacked, you know it's a foul. It hurts, LOL.

As someone pointed out here recently, NFHS just writes the rule books. A lot of the terminology pre-dates the NFHS. Just because the Fed changes its jargon doesn't mean the rest of the world has to follow suit.
While they don't HAVE to follow suit, it sure makes things easier when everyone is talking the same language....and in a way that makes sense.

Quote:
Calling a "discontinue"
a what????

Quote:
or a "carry" or a "palm" or a "double dribble" an "illegal dribble" may be technically correct, but nowhere near as easy to say or as descriptive.
What's undescriptive or difficult about carry or palm?
Quote:
Why not just have one foul call, for that matter. Why hold, block, push, trip, etc.? Why not just "Foul"?
Isn't the goal to have a sufficiently clear and consistent but brief communication. THe problem with local, non-official "jargon" is that it varies and has different meanings to different people. It can convey an entirely different message than intended. We all know what is meant by "reach" but some believe that it can be a foul just for reaching, without contact, simply because of the unofficial terminology that is poorly thougth out.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 04:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
While there is no such violation as a "double dribble", obviously a double dribble is a violation.
It is?

If a player's dribble ends by the dribble touching an opponent, and the player immediately dribbles again, you're saying that the "double dribble" is a violation?

Sorry. Can't agree with that.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj
I've had a HS coach bet me his entire year's salary that it's a violation if the jumper is the first person to control the ball after it's touched the floor. I should have gone double-or-nothing with him so I could have bought a burger and a Pepsi with my winnings.