The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 12:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Training Handout, Help Please ...

I'm trying to write a training handout. Comments? Constructive criticism? Please.

ADMINISTRATIVE TECHNICAL FOUL PENALTY TIME LIMITS

Officials do everything in their power to prevent administrative technical fouls. The crew arrives on the court at least fifteen minutes prior to game time. The referee meets with the table crew and reviews table responsibilities with both the home, and the visiting, scorekeeper, as well as the timer. The referee reviews the scorebook, looking for duplicate numbers, illegal numbers, and to check that the number of players on each roster coincides with the number of players warming up. Officials look for illegal uniforms, and illegal numbers, during pregame warmups. Once the game starts, substitutes anxious to enter the game are given the “stop sign” and are only beckoned when allowed by rule. Officials are very careful to count players after each substitution to ensure that there are only five players from each team participating before allowing the ball to be put into play. Officials notify teams, and their coach, whenever a team is granted its final allotted charged timeout.

Yet, despite officials doing everything in their power to prevent administrative technical fouls, these types of infractions still occur. All of a sudden, it’s realized that there are eleven players participating. The horn sounds at an odd time, and the officials are informed that a player’s number is not recorded in the official scorebook. Excess timeouts are requested, and granted. When these administrative infractions occur, officials must be prepared to deal with them, and penalize them, correctly.

Most officials are familiar with the various technical fouls that are associated with these administrative infractions; however, officials can be confused with the various time limits associated with penalizing these infractions. The rule book contains wording such as “penalized when discovered”, “penalized if discovered while being violated”, “after the ball became live following the first dead ball”, “once the ball becomes live”, “too late to penalize”, etc. One of the reasons why officials might be confused by the time limits for these penalties is due to the way that rule ten is organized. Rule ten is organized according to whom the technical foul is charged, thus there are sections for team technical fouls, coach technical fouls, player technical fouls, and substitute technical fouls. Within each of these sections, there are different time limits to penalize administrative infractions, which can be confusing.

Below is an alternative method of organizing technical fouls associated with administrative infractions. Instead of being organized by whom the technical foul is charged, it is organized by the time limit for penalizing the infraction. Organizing these administrative infractions into six sections according to the time limits should make it easier for officials to penalize these technical fouls, within the proper time limits, correctly.

1) Penalized when it occurs, pregame, after ten minute time limit:
a) Failing to supply the scorer with the name, and number, of each team member who may participate.
b) Failing to designate the five starting players.

2) Penalized if discovered before ball becomes live to start the game:
a) Changing a designated starter (with exceptions). If a player starts who was not designated to be a starter, the infraction has to be discovered, and penalized, before the ball becomes live to start the game. Once the ball becomes live, it is too late to penalize this specific infraction, and no penalty can be assessed.

3) Penalized when they occur, after ten minute time limit. These three infractions occur when the scorer is advised to add to or change the scorebook. The foul must be charged when it occurs and enforced when the ball next becomes live. Once the ball has become live, it is too late to penalize:
a) Adding a name to the team member list after the ten minute time limit. When such a player legally enters the court, the player’s name, and number, must be entered into the scorebook.
b) Requiring the scorer to change a team member, or player, number in the scorebook (with exception), after the ten minute time limit. If there is no request for change, or if a team member does not become a player, thus avoiding the change, there is no penalty.
c) Requiring a player to change to a number in the scorebook after the ten minute time limit. If there is no request for change, or if the team member does not become a player, thus avoiding the change, there is no penalty.

4) Penalized when discovered:
a) Having identical numbers on team members, and/or players, after the ten minute time limit. This infraction is charged upon the discovery of identical numbers. Only one team member may wear a given number, the other must change to a number not already in use before participating.
b) Permitting a team member to participate while wearing an illegal uniform number. This infraction is charged when discovered. The team member with the illegal uniform number may participate without further penalty and is not required to change his/her number. If no changes are made to the scorebook, no infraction has occurred.
c) Requesting an excess timeout. The penalty for an excessive timeout is charged when discovered.

5) Penalized if discovered while being violated:
a) Having more than five team members participating simultaneously, if recognized by an official before the ball becomes live following the first dead ball. If it was not recognized by either official, but was called to their attention after the ball became live following the first dead ball, it is too late to assess any penalty.
b) Player participates after changing a number without reporting the change to the scorer and an official.
c) Team member participates after being removed from the game for disqualification.

6) Penalized if discovered before the ball becomes live:
a) Substitute enters the court without reporting to the scorer, and/or, without being beckoned by an official, except between periods. This infraction is charged if recognized by an official before the ball becomes live following the first dead ball. Once the ball becomes live, the substitute is a legal player at that point, the foul is not penalized.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Aug 07, 2009 at 07:10pm.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 04:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

My suggestion would be to rewrite it in pig-latin:

ADMINISTRATIVEYAY ECHNICALTAY OULFAY ENALTYPAY IMETAY IMITSLAY

Officialsyay oday everythingyay inyay eirthay owerpay otay eventpray administrativeyay echnicaltay oulsfay. Ethay ewcray arrivesyay onyay ethay ourtcay atyay eastlay ifteenfay inutesmay iorpray otay amegay imetay. Ethay efereeray eetsmay ithway ethay abletay ewcray andyay eviewsray abletay esponsibilitiesray ithway othbay ethay omehay, andyay ethay isitingvay, orekeeperscay, asyay ellway asyay ethay imertay. Ethay efereeray eviewsray ethay orebookscay, ookinglay orfay uplicateday umbersnay, illegalyay umbersnay, andyay otay eckchay atthay ethay umbernay ofyay ayersplay onyay eachyay osterray oincidescay ithway ethay umbernay ofyay ayersplay armingway upyay. Officialsyay ooklay orfay illegalyay uniformsyay, andyay illegalyay umbersnay, uringday egamepray armupsway. Onceyay ethay amegay artsstay, ubstitutessay anxiousyay otay enteryay ethay amegay areyay ivengay ethay “opstay ignsay” andyay areyay onlyyay eckonedbay enwhay allowedyay ybay uleray. Officialsyay areyay eryvay arefulcay otay ountcay ayersplay afteryay eachyay ubstitutionsay otay insureyay atthay erethay areyay onlyyay ivefay ayersplay omfray eachyay eamtay articipatingpay eforebay allowingyay ethay allbay otay ebay utpay intoyay ayplay. Officialsyay otifynay eamstay, andyay eirthay oachcay, eneverwhay ayay eamtay isyay antedgray itsyay inalfay allottedyay argedchay imeouttay. Yetay, espiteday officialsyay oingday everythingyay inyay eirthay owerpay otay eventpray administrativeyay echnicaltay oulsfay, esethay ypestay ofyay infractionsyay illstay occuryay. Allyay ofyay ayay uddensay, ityay’say ealizedray atthay erethay areyay elevenyay ayersplay articipatingpay. Ethay ornhay oundssay atyay anyay oddyay imetay, andyay ethay officialsyay areyay informedyay atthay ayay ayerplay’say umbernay isyay otnay ecordedray inyay ethay officialyay orebookscay. Excessyay imeoutstay areyay equestedray, andyay antedgray. Enwhay esethay administrativeyay infractionsyay occuryay, officialsyay ustmay ebay eparedpray otay ealday ithway emthay, andyay enalizepay emthay, orrectlycay. Ostmay officialsyay areyay amiliarfay ithway ethay ariousvay echnicaltay oulsfay atthay areyay associatedyay ithway esethay administrativeyay infractionsyay; oweverhay, officialsyay ancay ebay onfusedcay ithway ethay ariousvay imetay imitslay associatedyay ithway enalizingpay esethay infractionsyay. Ethay uleray ookbay ontainscay ordingway uchsay asyay “enalizedpay enwhay iscoveredday”, “enalizedpay ifyay iscoveredday ilewhay eingbay iolatedvay”, “afteryay ethay allbay ecamebay ivelay ollowingfay ethay irstfay eadday allbay”, “onceyay ethay allbay ecomesbay ivelay”, “ootay atelay otay enalizepay”, etcyay. Oneyay ofyay ethay easonsray ywhay officialsyay ightmay ebay onfusedcay ybay ethay imetay imitslay orfay esethay enaltiespay isyay ueday otay ethay ayway atthay uleray entay isyay organizedyay. Uleray entay isyay organizedyay accordingyay otay omwhay ethay echnicaltay oulfay isyay argedchay, usthay erethay areyay ectionssay orfay eamtay echnicaltay oulsfay, oachcay echnicaltay oulsfay, ayerplay echnicaltay oulsfay, andyay ubstitutesay echnicaltay oulsfay. Ithinway eachyay ofyay esethay ectionssay, erethay areyay ifferentday imetay imitslay otay enalizepay administrativeyay infractionsyay, ichwhay ancay ebay onfusingcay. Elowbay isyay anyay alternativeyay ethodmay ofyay organizingyay echnicaltay oulsfay associatedyay ithway administrativeyay infractionsyay. Insteadyay ofyay eingbay organizedyay ybay omwhay ethay echnicaltay oulfay isyay argedchay, ityay isyay organizedyay ybay ethay imetay imitlay orfay enalizingpay ethay infractionyay. Organizingyay esethay administrativeyay infractionsyay intoyay ixsay ectionssay accordingyay otay ethay imetay imitslay ouldshay akemay ityay easieryay orfay officialsyay otay enalizepay esethay echnicaltay oulsfay, ithinway ethay operpray imetay imitslay, orrectlycay.
1) Enalizedpay enwhay ityay occursyay, egamepray, afteryay entay inutemay imetay imitlay: ayay) Ailingfay otay upplysay ethay orerscay ithway ethay amenay, andyay umbernay, ofyay eachyay eamtay embermay owhay aymay articipatepay. bay) Ailingfay otay esignateday ethay ivefay artingstay ayersplay.
2) Enalizedpay ifyay iscoveredday eforebay allbay ecomesbay aliveyay otay artstay ethay amegay: ayay) Angingchay ayay esignatedday arterstay (ithway exceptionsyay). Ifyay ayay ayerplay artsstay owhay asway otnay esignatedday otay ebay ayay arterstay, ethay infractionyay ashay otay ebay iscoveredday, andyay enalizedpay, eforebay ethay allbay ecomesbay ivelay otay artstay ethay amegay. Onceyay ethay allbay ecomesbay ivelay, ityay isyay ootay atelay otay enalizepay isthay ecificspay infractionyay, andyay onay enaltypay ancay ebay assessedyay.
3) Enalizedpay enwhay eythay occuryay, afteryay entay inutemay imetay imitlay. Esethay eethray infractionsyay occuryay enwhay ethay orerscay isyay advisedyay otay addyay otay oryay angechay ethay orebookscay. Ethay oulfay ustmay ebay argedchay enwhay ityay occursyay andyay enforcedyay enwhay ethay allbay extnay ecomesbay ivelay. Onceyay ethay allbay ashay ecomebay ivelay, ityay isyay ootay atelay otay enalizepay: ayay) Addingyay ayay amenay otay ethay eamtay embermay istlay afteryay ethay entay inutemay imetay imitlay. Enwhay uchsay ayay ayerplay egallylay entersyay ethay ourtcay, ethay ayerplay’say amenay, andyay umbernay, ustmay ebay enteredyay intoyay ethay orebookscay. bay) Equiringray ethay orerscay otay angechay ayay eamtay embermay, oryay ayerplay, umbernay inyay ethay orebookscay (ithway exceptionyay), afteryay ethay entay inutemay imetay imitlay. Ifyay erethay isyay onay equestray orfay angechay, oryay ifyay ayay eamtay embermay oesday otnay ecomebay ayay ayerplay, usthay avoidingyay ethay angechay, erethay isyay onay enaltypay. cay) Equiringray ayay ayerplay otay angechay otay ayay umbernay inyay ethay orebookscay afteryay ethay entay inutemay imetay imitlay. Ifyay erethay isyay onay equestray orfay angechay, oryay ifyay ethay eamtay embermay oesday otnay ecomebay ayay ayerplay, usthay avoidingyay ethay angechay, erethay isyay onay enaltypay.
4) Enalizedpay enwhay iscoveredday: ayay) Avinghay identicalyay umbersnay onyay eamtay embersmay, andyay/oryay ayersplay, afteryay ethay entay inutemay imetay imitlay. Isthay infractionyay isyay argedchay uponyay ethay iscoveryday ofyay identicalyay umbersnay. Onlyyay oneyay eamtay embermay aymay earway ayay ivengay umbernay, ethay otheryay ustmay angechay otay ayay umbernay otnay alreadyyay inyay useyay eforebay articipatingpay. bay) Ermittingpay ayay eamtay embermay otay articipatepay ilewhay earingway anyay illegalyay uniformyay umbernay. Isthay infractionyay isyay argedchay enwhay iscoveredday. Ethay eamtay embermay ithway ethay illegalyay uniformyay umbernay aymay articipatepay ithoutway urtherfay enaltypay andyay isyay otnay equiredray otay angechay ishay/erhay umbernay. Ifyay onay angeschay areyay ademay otay ethay orebookscay, onay infractionyay ashay occurredyay. cay) Equestingray anyay excessyay imeouttay. Ethay enaltypay orfay anyay excessiveyay imeouttay isyay argedchay enwhay iscoveredday.
5) Enalizedpay ifyay iscoveredday ilewhay eingbay iolatedvay: ayay) Avinghay oremay anthay ivefay eamtay embersmay articipatingpay imultaneouslysay, ifyay ecognizedray ybay anyay officialyay eforebay ethay allbay ecomesbay ivelay ollowingfay ethay irstfay eadday allbay. Ifyay ityay asway otnay ecognizedray ybay eitheryay officialyay, utbay asway alledcay otay eirthay attentionyay afteryay ethay allbay ecamebay ivelay ollowingfay ethay irstfay eadday allbay, ityay isyay ootay atelay otay assessyay anyyay enaltypay. bay) Ayerplay articipatespay afteryay angingchay ayay umbernay ithoutway eportingray ethay angechay otay ethay orerscay andyay anyay officialyay. cay) Eamtay embermay articipatespay afteryay eingbay emovedray omfray ethay amegay orfay isqualificationday.
6) Enalizedpay ifyay iscoveredday eforebay ethay allbay ecomesbay ivelay: ayay) Ubstitutesay entersyay ethay ourtcay ithoutway eportingray otay ethay orerscay, andyay/oryay, ithoutway eingbay eckonedbay ybay anyay officialyay, exceptyay etweenbay eriodspay. Isthay infractionyay isyay argedchay ifyay ecognizedray ybay anyay officialyay eforebay ethay allbay ecomesbay ivelay ollowingfay ethay irstfay eadday allbay. Onceyay ethay allbay ecomesbay ivelay, ethay ubstitutesay isyay ayay egallay ayerplay atyay atthay ointpay, ethay oulfay isyay otnay enalizedpay.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 05:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Anksthay ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
My suggestion would be to rewrite it in pig-latin
I'llway esentpray isthay otay ethay erethay airschay ofway ourway ainingtray ommitteecay, Oemay, Arrylay, andway Urlycay. I'mway uresay atthay eythay illway appreciateway ouyay ardhay orkway.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Really Mark?? Do you have that much extra time!
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 06:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
Really Mark?? Do you have that much extra time!
Duh - I use a program. You just copy and paste, hit a button, then copy and paste again. It took almost 15 seconds. You can do other "dialects" too, like redneck.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 08:17pm
#thereferee99

you wrote:
"to insure that there are only five players"

I would write:
"to ensure that there are only five players"
this may be a po-tay-toe/ po-tah-toe debate.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 08:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
you wrote:
"to insure that there are only five players"

I would write:
"to ensure that there are only five players"
Agreed.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 09:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Call The Whole Thing Off (Fred Astaire)

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
I would write: "to ensure that there are only five players".
Done. Thanks.

You say either and I say eyether,
You say neither and I say nyther;
You like potato and I like potaeto,
You like tomato and I like tomaeto;
So, if you like pajamas and I like pajahmas,
You say laughter and I say lawfter,
You say after and I say awfter;
You like vanilla and I like vanella,
You, say parilla and I say parella;
So, if you go for oysters and I go for orsters

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 09:27pm.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 09:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

J.J.J. Jive Talking ...

Quote:
You can do other "dialects" too, like redneck.
Airplane! - I Speak Jive

Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 09:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Or, as Elmer Fudd would say:

You say eithew and I say eyethew,
You say neithew and I say nythew;
Eithew, eyethew, neethew, nythew,
You wike potato and I wike potaeto,
You wike tomato and I wike tomaeto;
So, if you wike pajamas and I wike pajahmas,
I'ww weaw pajamas and give up pajahmas. Oh, dat scwewy wabbit!
You say waughtew and I say wawftew,
You say aftew and I say awftew;
You wike vaniwwa and I wike vanewwa,
You, say pawiwwa and I say pawewwa;
So, if you go fow oystews and I go fow owstews
I'ww owdew oystews and cancew the owstews. Oh, dat scwewy wabbit!
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 09:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Scwewy Mark Padgett ???

Quote:
Or, as Elmer Fudd would say: Oh, dat scwewy wabbit!
Mark Padgett: What is going on with you today? Weird doesn't even begin to describe your posts. Should we be concerned? How many fingers am I holding up? Who is the president of the United States? Where are you? What day is today? Should we call 911? Should we break out the straightjacket?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 09:29pm.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 10:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

How many fingers am I holding up?
Eleven (and that's not metric)

Who is the president of the United States?
Al Franken

Where are you?
Where are we all, really?

What day is today?
Second Tuesday next week.

Should we call 911?
Why - do you want to order a pizza?

Should we break out the straightjacket?
Why - is it in prison?
Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 09:36am
Esteemed Forum Member

And I Suppose That Sonny Bono Was A U.S. Representative ???

Quote:
Who is the president of the United States?
Al Franken
That's pretty funny. Next thing you'll be telling me is that Al Franken is a United States senator. Now that would be really unbelievable and very funny.

Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 12:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Airplane! - I Speak Jive
Airplane! Right on! - ah' Rap JIBE
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

This is an excellent summary of items that are scattered throughout the rule book--a very good training guide. When I saw it I was so impressed that I considered it to be one of the top one percent of posts I have read through the years.