The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Training

Does anyone know of any films available to help teach some of the more difficult judgement calls? Pass interference and holding are the two that are causing me to work the hardest while on the field. I know the basics and I feel I'm in good position to see so now it's just learning when to throw it and when to let the players play. Then there has been a couple times that I've seen what upon reflection I would call a penalty but since the thought process took me a few seconds too long then I would feel unnatural for basically throwing the flag "too late". This indecision is causing what I would characterize as inconsistency in my calls.

I know when I played ball that film study with definate instruction behind it would drill concepts into my head and allow me to react more quickly to what I saw. I was hoping that there would be a production out there that basically showed numerous plays with approved interpretations or judgements that I could watch over and over to help speed my decision making process on the field.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 10:09pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFarns View Post
Does anyone know of any films available to help teach some of the more difficult judgement calls? Pass interference and holding are the two that are causing me to work the hardest while on the field. I know the basics and I feel I'm in good position to see so now it's just learning when to throw it and when to let the players play. Then there has been a couple times that I've seen what upon reflection I would call a penalty but since the thought process took me a few seconds too long then I would feel unnatural for basically throwing the flag "too late". This indecision is causing what I would characterize as inconsistency in my calls.

I know when I played ball that film study with definate instruction behind it would drill concepts into my head and allow me to react more quickly to what I saw. I was hoping that there would be a production out there that basically showed numerous plays with approved interpretations or judgements that I could watch over and over to help speed my decision making process on the field.
Go to YouTube and search for users RefMike and Sumstine. They both have many clips that are worth looking at.

Both contribute greatly to educating ourselves as a group.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Can't help you with film, but I will say one thing about "late flags". No such thing!!!

This is one of the things I struggle with when training guys in my area - getting across the concept to them of taking their time, replaying the action in their mind and reviewing what they saw before throwing the flag.

Of course TV commentators dont help by constantly talking about late flags and making the public think that a player's complaint generated the "late" flag. Those idiots on TV, they don't know %?&$. It sounds like that mentality is maybe stopping you throwing a flag. It's good to hear that you are taking your time to think about what you saw. That is the mentality that College and the Pro's drum into their officials - take your time!

Another thing I will point out is that it feels like you have taken about ten seconds to review the action in your head, but it isn't as long as you think - it's probably only a second or two at most.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Here is a great link to many excellent training videos that Matt Sumstine put together: 2008 Aloha Clinic Videos
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 09:25am
Chain of Fools

USA Football has a training DVD for sale now on their web site. If you join USA Football ($30 annually-I think) you can also access their videos. Some of the quality isn't that great but it is a useful tool.

I just received my quarterly magazine from NFHS and they mention that they plan on upgrading their web site and adding training for officials online in the coming year. I assume you would have to be a Fed member but it didn't state that.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsrc View Post
Here is a great link to many excellent training videos that Matt Sumstine put together: 2008 Aloha Clinic Videos
Im with Grant here.. and HIGHLY recommend the 2008 Aloha clinic. it is off of the refstripes.com web site. It breaks down all kinds of plays.. check it out. you will be very pleased.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Videos are GREAT, (Especially the ALOHA videos). The only bad thing is that alot of videos focus on things done wrong. I haven't seen very many videos focusing on officials being in the right spot, etc...
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty1973 View Post
Videos are GREAT, (Especially the ALOHA videos). The only bad thing is that alot of videos focus on things done wrong. I haven't seen very many videos focusing on officials being in the right spot, etc...
In the Aloha clinic they do say that the officials are in the right spot... I know most of the time they might not say anything, mostly as the videos are to help on the things we do wrong.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Aloha is the best. Pretty good clarity and excellent commentary. The commentator is very diplomatic in pointing out errors. And, yes, he does compliment things too.

I've used these with my crew. I think a major disadvantage of doing HS ball is the lack of video training. If you ask for a tape from a school, it is usually poor quality. Having access to the Aloha videos is a great step in the right direction. Thanks to Grant for your resources.