The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 03:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Strangest ending?

I was talking on the phone with a buddy who lives in the Eastern US and is also an official. He told me about a game he just worked last weekend at a summer tourney that had what he called "the strangest ending he ever saw". Considering he's been an official for over 20 years, I couldn't wait to hear about it. The game was HS boys and he said most of the players were incoming sophomores and juniors with just a few incoming seniors.

It was a running clock and team A was up by four with just a few seconds left. B1 inbounded to B2 almost right on the midcourt line and B2 launched a "prayer". Just as he was shooting, A1 ran up behind him and shoved him in the back with both hands. The shot went in! My buddy said his partner, who was trail, signaled an intentional foul. The clock then ran out. They sent B2 to the line to shoot two and he made both of them - a five point play! Team B "went nuckin' futs" (exact quote of my friend).

I had to tell him I would have liked to have been there to see that one.

Anyone have a stranger ending to a game? I had one once almost as strange. I'll post it someday.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, you just like it because it prevented overtime.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 03:40pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I had one once almost as strange. I'll post it someday.
It wouldn't have anything to do with that very late whistle for the off-ball hold in that tied ball game where the last second shot rolled around the rim several times then fell off, would it
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 05:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
It wouldn't have anything to do with that very late whistle for the off-ball hold in that tied ball game where the last second shot rolled around the rim several times then fell off, would it
What's so strange about that?
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

How about that game in CA last year in which the officials awarded a total of 26 FTs after the altercation in the final few seconds and the team that shot second made 17 of 18 to overcome a significant deficit and win? (The win was later reversed due to the officials incorrect application of the rules.)

Was this handled correctly?

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Jul 14, 2009 at 08:03pm.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dsturdy5
No where near as crazy as your's Mark but I once had a partner make a call in a similar situation (albeit a common foul, not intentional).

Game one of an 8th grade boys travel doubleheader, down 1 with less than 2 seconds left, team A is inbounding from the endline under their own basket. A-1 threw up a prayer shot from about 3/4 court and B-1 was all over him and raked right across his arms. A-1 went 2-3 at the line and the game ended...

Of course with another game on deck we had to stay in the gym and had a "conversation" with the coach of team B afterward.

Coach (to my partner): How could you make that call?
My partner: Don't blame me, I didn't foul him.
Coach (to me): How could you let him make that call?
Me: Funny, I was wondering, "how could the coach allow that to happen?"

Coach complained to the assignor that we "did not let the kids decide the game." The assignor corrected him saying that by making the call, we certainly did allow the kids to determine the game. I think he had a heart attack following that.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 08:15am
Courageous When Prudent

Camp game (Blue v. White)

Bonus not in effect until 10th foul. White up 3 points with about 20 seconds left after making free throws. White only has 4 team fouls. White commits 3 or 4 fouls that gets the clock down to around 7 seconds and the ensuing throw-in is still in backcourt near division line. B1 receives throw-in at midcourt and takes a dribble or 2 into frontcourt. W1 attempts to foul B1. Official does not blow whistle. B1, in reaction to the contact, throws up a shot from 40ft and basket goes in. Ball goes through hoops with about 3 seconds left on clock and then clock runs out. Confusion ensues. White coach is up in arms that foul wasn't called. Officials huddle, confirm no whistle was blown for foul, but that someone for White called a time-out after basket was made. (I'm watching from sidelines so I don't know actual conversation). 2.8 seconds is put back on the clock. White has throw-in from endline. White attempts throw-in to W2 at division line. Ball goes through his legs. B2 standing behind W2 picks up ball and throws up a prayer from midcourt....nothing but net as time expires.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Not so much strange, but unusual. I forgot the numbers, so everything is a guess, but Team A down by ~15 with less than 2 minutes left. They put in this kid who, well to be kind, looks like he has absolutely no athletic ability. They come down pass it to the kid who's wide open north of the 3 line (no defender is bothering covering him) and he launches one. Swish. Team B throw in, foul, miss free throws, again A down the court to the kid, swish. This happens at least 3 times. Now we have about a 4 or 5 point game with around 25 seconds. Someone calls timeout, and I hear the opposing coach instruct his kids to foul the guy -- or at least cover him! Team A lost, shooting for a tie at the end, I think, because the kid couldn't get open -- B had like 3 guys on him. I have no doubt the kid would have sunk one to win or tie!

Moral to coaches: get a kid with limited skills and during practice put him in a gym by himself with a manager doing absolutely nothing but shooting 3s for 2 hours a day. I might even hold tryouts for that job!
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 11:47am
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow

OK - here's the strangest ending I've had in a long time and it involved an intentional foul. I was working a girls HS camp and the game rules were as follows:

running clock

no timeouts, except for an officials timeout to correct something

no free throws - if a shooting foul, award the points, if the shot goes in, give the points and one - if a common foul, just give the ball back to the fouled team OOB

obviously, no bonus

This was an eval camp and they just wanted the kids to play and show off their skills to the college coaches who were watching. I guess they didn't care about free throw shooting skills.

Team A was up by one with less than a minute to go (oh yeah, no overtimes either ) Team B had the ball to inbound and coach A yelled at his team to just foul as soon as the ball was inbounded. This meant team B just kept inbounding with the clock running and no chance to score. It was a very clever strategy on the part of Coach A. The players on A either were actually making attempts on the ball or else they were darn good actors. However, with just under 10 seconds left, B1 inbounds to B2 and A1 just runs up and grabs her with both hands. I call the intentional and the clock runs out. According to the rules, team B automatically gets two points for the intentional and wins the game.

Here's the best part - no complaint from Coach A. He directed his disappointment toward A1 for committing the intentional foul.

My partner and I had a great time discussing this one before the next game started. In fact, I wound up explaining the ending to about 5 groups of parents and a few of the college coaches. Most of them just nodded their heads and said, "Oh, I see".

I loved those game rules, especially the running clock, the no team timeouts and the no overtimes and I think the NF should adopt them.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 03:15pm
Official Fiveum Member

I don't know if this was the absolute strangest, but it was pretty weird. HS boys JV. Team A down by three in the final seconds. A1 launches a shot from about midcourt. B1 goaltends! At the same time, the horn goes off. I really couldn't tell if the shot was going to go in or not. Yeah, we had the dreaded OT and team B still won.