The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 08, 2009, 07:32pm
This IS My Social Life

9-1-3d NHFS Editorial Change ? ? ?

Your seasoned consideration of this is appreciated . . .
Rule 9-1-3d. says, "No player shall enter or leave a marked lane space." In view of the wording stated in 9-1-3g, the "vertical plane" seems always to have been an important consideration in whether a lane-space violation occurs. That is, break the plane by putting a foot in the air over the free throw lane and a violation has occurred under the proper circumstances.
But now the 2009-10 NFHS MAJOR EDITORIAL CHANGE on 9-1-3d makes this clarification: that "a player leaves a marked lane space when he or she contacts any part of the court outside the marked lane space (36 inches by 36 inches)." That seems to change the "vertical plane" stipulation to permit anything short of contact with the floor within the lane until, for instance, the ball strikes the rim.
Does this '09-10 9-1-3d editorial change invalidate 9-1-3g?
Old Tue Sep 08, 2009, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

The way I read it, it adds a further restriction. A player violates if they break the plane with their foot, or if they touch the floor in the lane with their hand.

Presumably, breaking the plane with the hand is still not a violation...
Old Tue Sep 08, 2009, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Your seasoned consideration of this is appreciated . . .
Rule 9-1-3d. says, "No player shall enter or leave a marked lane space." In view of the wording stated in 9-1-3g, the "vertical plane" seems always to have been an important consideration in whether a lane-space violation occurs. That is, break the plane by putting a foot in the air over the free throw lane and a violation has occurred under the proper circumstances.
But now the 2009-10 NFHS MAJOR EDITORIAL CHANGE on 9-1-3d makes this clarification: that "a player leaves a marked lane space when he or she contacts any part of the court outside the marked lane space (36 inches by 36 inches)." That seems to change the "vertical plane" stipulation to permit anything short of contact with the floor within the lane until, for instance, the ball strikes the rim.
Does this '09-10 9-1-3d editorial change invalidate 9-1-3g?
The vertical plane restriction on the foot is still in place. This edit just clarifies what has always been the case...that a player who touches outside of the space with any part of their body has left the space.
Old Wed Sep 09, 2009, 06:02am
Esteemed Forum Member

Pushups ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
This edit just clarifies what has always been the case, that a player who touches outside of the space with any part of their body has left the space.
Has it always been the case? For the past twenty-eight years, if a player in a marked lane space lost his balance and did a "pushup" in the lane, without either of his feet crossing the lane line plane, I would have called the violation, but I'm not sure that previous rule wording would have backed me up on my call, not that anyone would have complained.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Sep 09, 2009, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

As I read it, this change adds an additional element that a player must stay with in the 36in by 36in box. They cannot step back too far.
Old Wed Sep 09, 2009, 09:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
As I read it, this change adds an additional element that a player must stay with in the 36in by 36in box. They cannot step back too far.
I believe that restriction has been there for some time.
Old Wed Sep 09, 2009, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I believe that restriction has been there for some time.
Yes, the lane space has "always" been 3' deep.
Old Wed Sep 09, 2009, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Has it always been the case? For the past twenty-eight years, if a player in a marked lane space lost his balance and did a "pushup" in the lane, without either of his feet crossing the lane line plane, I would have called the violation, but I'm not sure that previous rule wording would have backed me up on my call, not that anyone would have complained.
Yes, it has always been the case. The player may not "leave" the space. Other rules support the notion that if a player istouching in the lane, they are in the lane....which means they've left the space. It wasn't so black and white, but it was there.
Old Thu Sep 10, 2009, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Context?

I think it needs to be read in conjunction with the change to 9-1-3g requiring a foot "near" the outer edge of the lane line -- it prevents some giraffe from doing a split to get around the intent of the rule by sticking a foot near the line and the other foot in position to go around the occupant of the first spot from the outside
Old Thu Sep 10, 2009, 09:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
I think it needs to be read in conjunction with the change to 9-1-3g requiring a foot "near" the outer edge of the lane line -- it prevents some giraffe from doing a split to get around the intent of the rule by sticking a foot near the line and the other foot in position to go around the occupant of the first spot from the outside
I don't see that. The player can still stretch his second foot whereever he wants as long as it stays in the box. He was always restricted from stepping out of that box.

This change was simply made to close a potential loophole that would allow a player to put a hand on the floor in the lane.

BTW, I hate the "near the lane line" change. It's stupid and I'm going to find it very hard to remember when the season starts.
Old Thu Sep 10, 2009, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Most HS games I have observed, the players are always breaking the plane before the ball hits, but you rarely see this being called unless it is extreme. How do you all call this? Thanks!
Old Thu Sep 10, 2009, 02:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
Most HS games I have observed, the players are always breaking the plane before the ball hits, but you rarely see this being called unless it is extreme. How do you all call this? Thanks!
It's only a violation if their feet break the plane, and I don't see this at the high school level. Even the girls are starting to get away from that stupid little (runon sentence alert)pirouette stance that technically breaks the rule but never gets called because it creates no advantage.
Old Thu Sep 10, 2009, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It's only a violation if their feet break the plane, and I don't see this at the high school level. Even the girls are starting to get away from that stupid little (runon sentence alert)pirouette stance that technically breaks the rule but never gets called because it creates no advantage.
Do you imagine that alerting your readers to your sloppy syntax will induce them to excuse you?
Old Thu Sep 10, 2009, 02:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Do you imagine that alerting your readers me to your sloppy syntax will induce them me to excuse you?
yep nope
Old Thu Sep 10, 2009, 04:01pm
This IS My Social Life

How do you call this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
Call it once early, again if it happens at the other end, and it won't happen again the rest of the game.
Unless you want to allow it the entire game, let it get worse, then call it in the last four minutes. Not a real good alternative.

Last edited by Freddy; Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 04:10pm.