The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

There were actually a large number of editorial changes to this season's NFHS Rules Book. For a complete list I direct you to: http://www.cifccs.org/playingrules.htm where you can click on the link: 2004 NF Basketball Committee Minutes (where changes above were made) under the heading Basketball.

One that jumped out at me was:
8-1-3b Delete at the end of 3b delete the words “unless the resumption of play is in effect.” Rationale: The terminology used seems to indicate that if the resumption of play procedure is in effect on a free throw attempt that the first marked lane spaces do not have to be occupied.

This change was adopted and appears in the 2004-05 book as 8-1-4b due to another change which split 8-1 into 8-1 and 8-2 and then renumbered the following articles.

When I first read this I thought, "So, now those two defenders have to be in those spots even during the use of the RPP?" I was envisioning myself having to go over to the huddle and get two players out there or having to assess a technical foul for them not occupying the marked lane-spaces.
With much relief, I then realized that there is absolutely NO CHANGE to the application of the rule. It is not a T, just a violation per the RPP, if the shooter misses the FT. The wording of the rule was only amended to make it clear that the presence of these two defenders is required if the team wishes to avoid a FT violation. Maybe some people were saying that it was not a violation because of the old wording. I never took it that way. I obviously found it more confusing the new way!