The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Sports Illustrated Kids situation - what's the call?

SI Kids has a section titled "What's the Call?", in which they pose a rules situation about a sport and ask the reader to make the call. They pose a basketball rules question in the June 2009 issue. I'm wondering if they got it right.

Here's the sitch:

The Manitoba Minks and the Calgary Cool are playing a basketball game under NBA rules. After a made free throw by the Minks, Calgary's Jean Giraud takes the ball to throw an inbounds pass. Giraud see his teammate Louis Jenkins breaking away from his defender. But as Giraud leans forward, he accidentally steps on the baseline. Jenkins catches the ball anyway and dribbles upcourt for a basket. Manitoba argues that the basket doesn't count because Giraud stepped on the baseline when he inbounded the ball. You're the official. Is Jenkin's basket good?

- Catherine Aird
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

If he stepped on the baseline before he throws the ball in, that's a violation, right?
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 11:49am
Ch1town

Did the player step over the inside edge of the line which seperates the court from OOB?

If not, count the bucket. I believe that rule is the same in all codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
If he stepped on the baseline before he throws the ball in, that's a violation, right?
Negative.

Last edited by Ch1town; Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 11:52am.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. If he stepped on the line, but not over the line, he's still out of bounds, so the play is legal. SI Kids says "no bucket".

- Catherine Aird
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 11:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

No violation.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 12:01pm
Esteemed Participant

"On" the line is oob...this is not a violation. Had an official in my son's JV game keep calling violations (on both teams) for stepping on the line to throw the ball in. After about 5 or 6 of these calls, both coaches requested a conference with the two officials and asked why he was calling that. The other official tried to tell him he was wrong, but he wouldn't listen...so both coaches told their players to adjust and away we went...weird, but livable.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 12:05pm
Ch1town

Hey at least the official was consistent
Isn't that what we strive for?? j/k
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 12:09pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
From the Rule Book

Rule 4, Section XII-Throw-In

A throw-in is a method of putting the ball in play from out-of-bounds in accordance with Rule 8-Section III. The throw-in begins when the ball is at the disposal of the team or player entitled to it, and ends when the ball is released by the thrower-in.

Rule 8 Out of Bounds Section III-The Throw-In

a. The throw-in starts when the ball is at the disposal of a player entitled to the throw-in. He shall release the ball inbounds within 5 seconds from the time the throw-in starts. Until the passed ball has crossed the plane of the boundary, no player shall have any part of his person over the boundary line and teammates shall not occupy positions parallel or adjacent to the baseline if an opponent desires one of those positions. The defensive man shall have the right to be between his man and the basket.

Rule 10, Section IV – Thrower-in

a. A thrower-in shall not (1) carry the ball onto the court; (2) fail to release the ball within 5 seconds; (3) touch it on the court before it has touched another player; (4) leave the designated throw-in spot; (5) throw the ball so that it enters the basket before touching anyone on the court; (6) step over the boundary line while inbounding the ball; (7) cause the ball to go out-of-bounds without being touched inbounds; (8) leave the playing surface to gain an advantage on a throw-in; (9) hand the ball to a player on the court. EXCEPTION: After a field goal or free throw as a result of a personal foul, the thrower-in may run the end line or pass to a teammate behind the end line.

b. Once an official recognizes the designated player to throw the ball in, there shall be no change of the thrower-in unless the offensive team makes a substitution, there is a regular or 20-second timeout or a suspension of play.
PENALTY: Loss of ball. The ball is awarded to the opposing team at the original spot of the throw-in.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 12:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

From NBA rule 10:

Section IV-Thrower-in
a. A thrower-in shall not (1) carry the ball onto the court; (2) fail to release the ball within 5 seconds; (3) touch it on the court before it has touched another player; (4) leave the designated throw-in spot; (5) throw the ball so that it enters the basket before touching anyone on the court; (6) step over the boundary line while inbounding the ball; (7) cause the ball to go out-of-bounds without being touched inbounds; (8) leave the playing surface to gain an advantage on a throw-in; (9) hand the ball to a player on the court.

If SI for Kids said it was a violation, they need to go stand in a corner with a dunce cap on.

BTW - does (8) mean a player can't jump when inbounding if it gives him an advantage? Jumping is leaving the playing surface, isn't it?
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 12:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Hey at least the official was consistent
Isn't that what we strive for?? j/k
A quote about hobgoblins comes to mind.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
A quote about hobgoblins comes to mind.
Thanks, Ralph.

And: you never said which kind was foolish.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
"On" the line is oob...this is not a violation. Had an official in my son's JV game keep calling violations (on both teams) for stepping on the line to throw the ball in. After about 5 or 6 of these calls, both coaches requested a conference with the two officials and asked why he was calling that. The other official tried to tell him he was wrong, but he wouldn't listen...so both coaches told their players to adjust and away we went...weird, but livable.

Yet another instance of you pointing out the errors of other officials.

Obviously, you operate by a double standard in that it's okay for you to criticize others, but when anyone else does it you immediately jump on them.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 06:19pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboys View Post
SI Kids has a section titled "What's the Call?", in which they pose a rules situation about a sport and ask the reader to make the call. They pose a basketball rules question in the June 2009 issue. I'm wondering if they got it right.

Here's the sitch:

The Manitoba Minks and the Calgary Cool are playing a basketball game under NBA rules. After a made free throw by the Minks, Calgary's Jean Giraud takes the ball to throw an inbounds pass. Giraud see his teammate Louis Jenkins breaking away from his defender. But as Giraud leans forward, he accidentally steps on the baseline. Jenkins catches the ball anyway and dribbles upcourt for a basket. Manitoba argues that the basket doesn't count because Giraud stepped on the baseline when he inbounded the ball. You're the official. Is Jenkin's basket good?
God, I love it when a publication makes a GLARING error like this. My local newspaper had a column in their annual football preview (all the local HS, etc) which was similar to the SI Kids column. They had several plays, along with the correct ruling for FED and NCAA. One of the plays (and I can't remember it anymore, it was several years ago) had the NCAA ruling following it, and then a note that the FED ruling was exactly the same. I had to re-read the play several times, and the ruling they had printed, and it occurred to me they didn't get the right ruling for the FED. I emailed the rest of the guys on my crew and gave them the play and asked for the ruling. They all came back with what I had and not what the newspaper had. I called the sports editor and told him he needed to clear that up, and cited the rule number and all that. He said that he had talked to one of the "top" officials from our city and that was the ruling he had gotten. I suggested he call the state association and get a ruling from them, just to back up what I had. Guess what? The next year, I was asked to review the column before it ran.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 06:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Yet another instance of you pointing out the errors of other officials.

Obviously, you operate by a double standard in that it's okay for you to criticize others, but when anyone else does it you immediately jump on them.
hmmm. looking for a word.... got it.

gratuitous
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 07:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call For NFHS Rule Questions ??? Mythbusters ...

A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a violation, not travelling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. A player inbounding the ball may bounce the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throwin. After a goal, or awarded goal, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from any point outside the end line. A team retains this “run the endline” privilege if a timeout is called during the dead ball period after the goal. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate outside the boundary line.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)