Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I seldom eject a coach for X'ing.
What about Y'ing?
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
OK then, how about making him listen to a game with Bob Knight, Dick Vitale, and Billy Packer as announcers?
Or even worse...Rollie Massimino....the only thing worse than listening to Rollie broadcast a game, is having to listen to him on the bench....
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

I had something with some similarities happen in football last year. Late in the game with the V behind, H had the ball on their ~40. The clock was running and V's coaches were yelling out signals. My HL thought he heard a TO call and stopped the clock and I (the R), anticipating some time outs, started to give the signal to the box when the coaches start yelling that they didn't call the TO but yelled something that might sound like that as a signal to their players. I immediately blew my whistle and yelled, "no time out, let's play ball" and got the offense back into their formation. I then blew the ready and wound the clock, so in fact, the Home team got an 8-10 second advantage as it turned out.

We finished the game (H won) and in the locker room, one of the crew members (not the HL) INSISTED that he heard the TO. He was adamant that it happened and said I was mistaken to not stick them with it. I said that the coaches' response was very quick and due to the look on their faces seemed reasonable, so I surmised they didn't call timeout. After a 5 minute discussion when even the HL is insisting they didn't call TO but HE made the mistake, the BJ won't let it go, so I did.

There are people that don't believe anyone but their own idiotic self.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 10:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
My HL thought he heard a TO call and stopped the clock and I (the R), anticipating some time outs, started to give the signal to the box when the coaches start yelling that they didn't call the TO but yelled something that might sound like that as a signal to their players.
I know just what you mean. I can't tell you how many games I've worked in which teams called out plays like "five out", etc. It can drive ya nuts.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I know just what you mean. I can't tell you how many games I've worked in which teams called out plays like "five out", etc. It can drive ya nuts.
LOL! One of the first things we go over with our new coaches is to never, ever name a play using the word "out", or anything even close.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 02:29am
Huck Finn

I think the coach handled this situation as good as he could. If he didn't do anything, he had already basically been threatened and was on this ice. By calling the official out, be at least brought some integrity to the situation and put everyone on notice concerning a potential problem.

I would have asked my partner(s) what the coach said before approaching the coach. Also, I think the coach should have told the official to take his hands off of him as soon as the conversation went south.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 06:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

And By Recent, I Mean The Past Four, Or Five Years ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Didn't the NFHS come out with a recent interpretation of this situation?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 09:28am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Didn't the NFHS come out with a recent interpretation of this situation?

5.8.3 SITUATION E: A1 is dribbling the ball in his/her backcourt when the Team A head coach is yelling "side out" offensive instructions to his/her team and the official stops play believing the coach requested a timeout.

RULING:An accidental whistle has occurred. Team A was not requesting a time-out, and therefore, should not be granted or charged with one. Play is resumed at the point of interruption.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 06:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Couldn't Put My Finger On It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
5.8.3 SITUATION E
just another ref: Thanks. Nice research. Nice citation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 11:52pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
just another ref: Thanks. Nice research. Nice citation.
Research?? What makes you think I didn't quote this from memory?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
5.8.3 SITUATION E: A1 is dribbling the ball in his/her backcourt when the Team A head coach is yelling "side out" offensive instructions to his/her team and the official stops play believing the coach requested a timeout.

RULING:An accidental whistle has occurred. Team A was not requesting a time-out, and therefore, should not be granted or charged with one. Play is resumed at the point of interruption.

Scenario: A1 is holding the ball in the front court and being closely guarded by B1 with less than 1 minute in the game Team A up by 2. As I'm nearing 5 on a 5 second count I hear what I thought was a time out request from Coach A. I blow the whistle and point to the bench and state timeout. Coach A who obviously isn't the smartest says "I didn't call a timeout, I don't want a timeout" even though he has 2 remaining. I say "ok so you don't want the timeout". He says "no". I say "ok, we have a 5 second count violation, (Team B's) ball."

Question: Based on the above case play I was wrong to call the violation. My thing at the time was the coach said what sounded to me and my partner to be a call for a timeout and considering the play and the score it was pretty reasonable to expect a timeout called. If I follow the point of interruption rule to the letter it would be Team A's ball on a throw in, correct? How fair is that? Is it reasonable to wonder what if coaches started using this non-timeout tactic to their advantage?
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 03:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. make sure he wants a timeout. It's okay to hear the request, hit your 5 second count, and verify by looking at the coach he wanted the TO before granting it. A coach in this situation will almost always give the signal and the words for this request.

2. Whether you made a mistake depends on whether you actually got to 5 seconds prior to blowing the whistle. If you blew before hitting 5, you should give A the ball back. It may not seem fair, but it's not fair to penalize them prematurely either. A1 could have thrown a pass just before you got to 5.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Wild Kingdom Rocks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Sounds like a narrative from Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.
I loved that show. Sunday night, a bowl of popcorn, life was good back then.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 12:19pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
I loved that show. Sunday night, a bowl of popcorn, life was good back then.
Ditto...and being a Nebraska boy, it was enjoyable for me because Mutual of Omaha is a Nebraska company, and was a sponsor of the Huskers back then (and still is).