The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up How bout' that Rut?

I just heard that Rut is going to state in baseball. First Football in November and now Baseball in June. Two sports in one year. Pretty darn impressive.
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 10:48pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Congrats Rut...

I'll be sure to look you up if I ever get back to the area.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 10:21am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
I just heard that Rut is going to state in baseball. First Football in November and now Baseball in June. Two sports in one year. Pretty darn impressive.
Hey - I went to all of those, too. Of course, I was a spectator. Maybe next year he'll make it in croquet!

Seriously, congrats, big guy.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

I was going to go with badminton, myself. Or maybe bowling?
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Let's not hold our breathe for Nevada to give kudos.

Congrats Rut!
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 04:20pm
Archaic Power Monger

Way to go, Rut!
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

If my memory is right he also worked a basketball championship within the last few years. That would make for a trifecta. That or he's one of 10 sports officials in the state of Illinoise. Yes, that is the correct spelling.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

But he is no where as good as that one official from nevada.

However, by my count thats JRUT 3, the other ref 0. The statistics speak for themselves.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 07:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thank you guys for the kind words, especially those from Z.

For the record this is only my second State Final (total) in two different sports. I worked the Football 4A State Title game this past November and will be working the 1A-2A State Finals in Baseball this year. I am one of 6 umpires in this class and another 6 will work the 3A-4A next weekend (which our own Bob Jenkins worked two in a row the past two seasons at that level).

It is rare that a single official works two of these in the same school year in my state. I am certainly not the first, but it is not very common. That is a true blessing if you ask me.

To be fair to the other person you keep referencing, he has worked a State Final in Basketball multiple times in his state. I might get there one day in my state, but it just has not happened yet for all kind of reasons. It is also rather hard to get to because we have so much competition and few slots. I this past year only got to the second level in bold this past year (Regional, Sectional, Super-Sectional, and State Final). If you had asked me several years ago, I would have thought my main chance was in basketball and I was so wrong. Funny how things happen to you try to work hard and let the chips fall where they may.

Either way it does not matter, it is an honor to get picked to do any state final. I would like to thank a lot of people because this did not happen without a lot of help from others over the years. You really learn who your friends are when you get all the calls and emails acknowledging your accomplishments. Thanks to everyone on this site and too many others off it for the nice words.

Like I said on another page, God is good not some of the time, all of the time. I am truly blessed.

Peace
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Congrats Rut!
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Rut, congratulations on an impressive accomplishment. More to come I'm sure.
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 01:22am
M.A.S.H.

Congrats, Jeff!
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

My congrats to Rut. I hope that there are many more to follow.

Unfortunately, it seems that some people don't grasp that while Rut and I may disagree about certain aspects of officiating and even get into heated debates, we still have the healthy amount of respect for each other that comes from being a fellow HS official and knowing what it takes to put that uniform on and take the field/court and give our best effort only to be hollered at by the parents and coaches, not to mention all the travel time invested and the less than adequate financial compensation.

For the most part it is a difficult path that we travel. One with little glory and often even less thanks. So when one is fortunate enough to have his excellence recognized by his peers through being afforded the opportunity to work a State Championship contest, it is very special indeed.

That being the case, I sincerely hope that no one on this forum ever again disrespects the occasion of a fellow HS referee reaching this pinnacle of achievement by seeing it as an opportunity to write something negative about someone else.
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 02:18am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
My congrats to Rut. I hope that there are many more to follow.

Unfortunately, it seems that some people don't grasp that while Rut and I may disagree about certain aspects of officiating and even get into heated debates, we still have the healthy amount of respect for each other that comes from being a fellow HS official and knowing what it takes to put that uniform on and take the field/court and give our best effort only to be hollered at by the parents and coaches, not to mention all the travel time invested and the less than adequate financial compensation.

For the most part it is a difficult path that we travel. One with little glory and often even less thanks. So when one is fortunate enough to have his excellence recognized by his peers through being afforded the opportunity to work a State Championship contest, it is very special indeed.

That being the case, I sincerely hope that no one on this forum ever again disrespects the occasion of a fellow HS referee reaching this pinnacle of achievement by seeing it as an opportunity to write something negative about someone else.
I second Nevada's sentiments. Rut's accomplishments speak for themselves.
Unfortunately, here on the forum, Rut speaks for himself.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Congrats Jeff. It's a blast -- enjoy the ride.