The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

ASA Alleged Adult Slow Pitch

Before we start, keep in mind that our league allows ALL divisions to not run the bases on an over the fence HR. This information will help explain R1's actions on this play.

This was related to me by a 1st yr ump during football clinics Saturday so the only detail I have is what gets stated here, but I think its enough.

R1 on 1st, assuming less than two outs. Batter hits a long fly ball which bounces of the fence and back into the field of play where it is caught. BR passes R1 while rounding first. R1, thinking the ball is over the fence heads for the dugout. BR realizing the ball did not clear the fence, returns to 1b.

The ump relating the story does so with the recognition that he screwed up...he called R1 out, but for unknown reasons as R1 had not yet left the field of play when he rang him. I dunno? No one argued and he left it there. BR on 1st, R1 out for reasons unknown. He never said if there was a discussion with his partner. Knowing this association, I would assume no such conversation took place.

I'm thinking I would call BR out for passing R1, and R1 out for abandonment since he apparently never figured out that the ball did not clear the fence. Again, I wasn't there, I'm only going on what I was told, but I can't figure that R1 never saw the ball getting thrown about from the outfield to the infield to the pitcher, or where ever else the ball may have gone.

So, simply put, BR passes R1, R1 goes to the dugout.

Your turn....

Ed
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Ed.

Depends, if the ump called R1 out before he entered the dugout then I believe that he put R1 in jeopardy. Why would R1 return to 1st after being called out? ASA 10-6-C

If, on the other hand, in the umps opinion he entered the dugout out of plain stupidity, I know it's hard to believe that happening, then you got two.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Trinity
ASA Alleged Adult Slow Pitch

Before we start, keep in mind that our league allows ALL divisions to not run the bases on an over the fence HR. This information will help explain R1's actions on this play.

This was related to me by a 1st yr ump during football clinics Saturday so the only detail I have is what gets stated here, but I think its enough.

R1 on 1st, assuming less than two outs. Batter hits a long fly ball which bounces of the fence and back into the field of play where it is caught. BR passes R1 while rounding first. R1, thinking the ball is over the fence heads for the dugout. BR realizing the ball did not clear the fence, returns to 1b.

The ump relating the story does so with the recognition that he screwed up...he called R1 out, but for unknown reasons as R1 had not yet left the field of play when he rang him. I dunno? No one argued and he left it there. BR on 1st, R1 out for reasons unknown. He never said if there was a discussion with his partner. Knowing this association, I would assume no such conversation took place.

I'm thinking I would call BR out for passing R1, and R1 out for abandonment since he apparently never figured out that the ball did not clear the fence. Again, I wasn't there, I'm only going on what I was told, but I can't figure that R1 never saw the ball getting thrown about from the outfield to the infield to the pitcher, or where ever else the ball may have gone.

So, simply put, BR passes R1, R1 goes to the dugout.

Your turn....

Ed
Two outs AFTER R1 leaves the field of play. There is no ASA rule which allows an umpire to rule an active R/BR out for simply failing to advance or return to a base.

Young umpire did indeed screw up on this one. I'm sure you will set him straight, but don't do it just by giving him the answer. Let him look it up in the book if he hasn't already.

Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

As mentioned, I was not there, so I don't really know what this R1 was doing. But I'm assuming the following...R1 is hanging around 1B to tag up should the ball be caught. BR passes R1, so I've got BR out at that point. I then px R1 wandering toward the dugout...or somewhere, confused. Perhaps he thinks he was the one called out. Nonetheless, he can wander all he wants until he hits the dugout...then he's out. I would hope that his team would holler at him to get back on the base, or the defense would figure out to tag him. Apparently, this did not happen. So I just wait and hope my partner doesn't call time.

Ed
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Smile

Welcome back, Ed! I have missed you!

I can't wait to start laughing and grinning at all your AA stories. I hope you're doing well!

Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995