View Single Post
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 07:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thank you guys for the kind words, especially those from Z.

For the record this is only my second State Final (total) in two different sports. I worked the Football 4A State Title game this past November and will be working the 1A-2A State Finals in Baseball this year. I am one of 6 umpires in this class and another 6 will work the 3A-4A next weekend (which our own Bob Jenkins worked two in a row the past two seasons at that level).

It is rare that a single official works two of these in the same school year in my state. I am certainly not the first, but it is not very common. That is a true blessing if you ask me.

To be fair to the other person you keep referencing, he has worked a State Final in Basketball multiple times in his state. I might get there one day in my state, but it just has not happened yet for all kind of reasons. It is also rather hard to get to because we have so much competition and few slots. I this past year only got to the second level in bold this past year (Regional, Sectional, Super-Sectional, and State Final). If you had asked me several years ago, I would have thought my main chance was in basketball and I was so wrong. Funny how things happen to you try to work hard and let the chips fall where they may.

Either way it does not matter, it is an honor to get picked to do any state final. I would like to thank a lot of people because this did not happen without a lot of help from others over the years. You really learn who your friends are when you get all the calls and emails acknowledging your accomplishments. Thanks to everyone on this site and too many others off it for the nice words.

Like I said on another page, God is good not some of the time, all of the time. I am truly blessed.

Peace