The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Actually that wasn't a problem. Forgetting that I was responsible for the free throw shooter was. I constantly started way too high then realized I needed to get down in position. My partners for the most part never did come done to properly monitor the shooter. Also I don't like that neither official has a view of the benches and table.
I don't understand how being tableside would move you up higher than being opposite. Were you forgetting that you were working 2-man and thinking that you were the Trail in a 3-man system because you were standing tableside?

If that's the case, then I don't see this as a problem with the mechanic, but rather with the mental focus of an old dog learning a new trick.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sun Jun 07, 2009 at 10:03pm.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

I worked a camp last week with the new 2-man mechanics. I didn't have much of a problem with it, but a lot of the other guys that were there did.

The bad thing was that we did some 3-man work as well, and several people couldn't remember which side to go to as Lead on FTs because of the change in 2-man.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Just like any other mechanics changes, it will take some time to get use to and then it wont even be a second thought.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 12:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
Just like any other mechanics changes, it will take some time to get use to and then it wont even be a second thought.
Honestly I do not see the big deal. There will be an adjustment period, but it will become second nature. And for those of us that hardly work 2 Person, this is really not a big deal.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 12:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Adjusting to a mechanic is never a problem with me. I can do that in my sleep.

My major complaint with the mechanic is that we are blind to the benches and table for the entire free throw process.

Additionally, if this were done to facilitate communication it's only effective the 1st half b/c in the 2nd half you'll still be 35-40 feet from the coach who wants your attention.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I think it will help with the communication aspect of 2 person. Now you have an official over there to answer any questions.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 03:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I think it will help with the communication aspect of 2 person. Now you have an official over there to answer any questions.
In the 1st half. And with your back to the coach.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My major complaint with the mechanic is that we are blind to the benches and table for the entire free throw process.
Are you blind to the benches and table in 3-man?
Why can't the Lead who is now opposite see this stuff?

Quote:
Additionally, if this were done to facilitate communication it's only effective the 1st half b/c in the 2nd half you'll still be 35-40 feet from the coach who wants your attention.
The same point can be said about 3-man, yet they still desire the calling official to be over there.
One could claim that 30 feet away is better than 60 feet away.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yeah, you have an official over to answer any questions. However, I cannot or will not attempt to answer a question about a partner(s) call. I will let the coach know I will pass the question on to my partner(s) or they will be over here soon enough to answer the specific question.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
Yeah, you have an official over to answer any questions. However, I cannot or will not attempt to answer a question about a partner(s) call. I will let the coach know I will pass the question on to my partner(s) or they will be over here soon enough to answer the specific question.
That's why the new mechanic is for the CALLING official to become the tableside Trail during FTs.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 12:06am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Are you blind to the benches and table in 3-man?
Why can't the Lead who is now opposite see this stuff?

The same point can be said about 3-man, yet they still desire the calling official to be over there.
One could claim that 30 feet away is better than 60 feet away.
In 3-man the official near the table is not responsible for the shooter. He is at half-court for the first of 2 free throws, which is halfway between both coaches, 16-20 ft. Additionally he can position himself to speak to the coach(es) if need be. In 2-man, the new trail has no leeway to do anything because he needs to be in position to monitor the free throw shooter.

In 3-man the lead and center can glance over at the table/benches to pick up any subs or T-O requests that the Trail might have missed.

Comparing the trail in 3-man and 2-man is apple/oranges.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's why the new mechanic is for the CALLING official to become the tableside Trail during FTs.
Yeah, you are right!
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 04:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In 3-man the official near the table is not responsible for the shooter. He is at half-court for the first of 2 free throws, which is halfway between both coaches, 16-20 ft. Additionally he can position himself to speak to the coach(es) if need be. In 2-man, the new trail has no leeway to do anything because he needs to be in position to monitor the free throw shooter.
Oh dear! I certainly hope that you aren't allowing the Trail to wander around out near the division line. According the the NFHS manual that isn't even close to where he belongs. Page 58 states that he should be at approximately the 28' mark in the frontcourt and that he should be assisting with FT violations and fouls. The only reason to be elsewhere is if there are players in the backcourt who require observation.
Having the Trail simply leave and go talk to a coach in near the division line or in the backcourt is to admit that he isn't needed and is having no involvement whatsoever with the observation of the FT activity.

Now that may be possible in 3-man because there are two other officials to handle those responsibilities, but I seriously doubt that was the intent of the system. It is just a liberty that some people take when working 3-man, and frankly it annoys me because I perceive it as that individual not doing his job or pulling his fair share of the load. As the C I don't want to be watching the players outside of the 3-pt line. That's the Trail's job. I want to be able to concentrate on the FT shooter and the players in my lane-spaces. I'm not interested in having to do my task as well as cover the Trail's responsibilities because he is off chatting with a coach.

You do rightly point out that the Trail has some important things to do in the 2-man system and can't be distracted from these duties by the desire of either of the coaches for a conversation. I agree that there is much less leeway with only two officials on the court than three. Your focus has to be maintained where it should be or you will certainly miss things.
But if the responsibilities of the Trail in 2-man during FT administration are so important, wouldn't it be better to have two people sharing that load? That would mean that the Trail in 3-man should remain in the frontcourt and make a meaningful contribution rather than abandoning the C to fulfill the task of the 2-man Trail. If the extra official isn't going to give this person any help, then why the heck is he out there?

Quote:
In 3-man the lead and center can glance over at the table/benches to pick up any subs or T-O requests that the Trail might have missed.
And in 2-man the Lead can glance over at the table/benches to pick up any subs or T-O requests that the Trail might have missed.
It's just that there is only one person to do this rather than two, so it's a little more difficult.
It seems to me that your argument is merely saying that everything can be seen better by more officials, which is basically stating the obvious, and so why don't we go to 4-man or 5-man like HS football?

Quote:
Comparing the trail in 3-man and 2-man is apple/oranges.
Actually that can be said of comparing ANY aspect of 3-man and 2-man. With one fewer person, there is much less flexibility and far less leeway for people to be glancing around at things outside of their primary coverage areas.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 06:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Oh dear! I certainly hope that you aren't allowing the Trail to wander around out near the division line.
Did you miss the part where he said "the first of two?" And yes, we do that around here. If there's another free throw (or two), the T goes to the division line near the jump circle and then moves for the last free throw. No responsibilities are ignored -- unless you consider it vital we closely monitor a free throw where no rebound is contested...
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 07:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Did you miss the part where he said "the first of two?" And yes, we do that around here. If there's another free throw (or two), the T goes to the division line near the jump circle and then moves for the last free throw. No responsibilities are ignored -- unless you consider it vital we closely monitor a free throw where no rebound is contested...
Thanks Rich, you saved me some keystrokes.