Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
IMO, that's a "landing" followed by one "step" -- not two steps.

A step is a raising of the foot off the floor followed by putting the foot back on the floor.
I agree with your statement Bob....I believe they are talking about a player holding the ball and then taking two steps and shoot.......

Last edited by IREFU2; Thu May 21, 2009 at 09:21am.
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Point #2 on closely-guarded is basically a reprint from 2004-05 with the addition of a section on using the markings on the court to help officials measure the required six-foot distance.

It seems that someone at the NFHS read a thread of ours from this past season and decided to steal information from a post that I made. Of course, no credit was given! I guess that I should be flattered instead of .

"Good visual examples of this distance can be found on the court as: the distance between the free-throw line and the top of the semi-circle; from the division line to the jump circle; two adjacent marked lane spaces."
In regards to this, they should make it 3 feet. I believe it can be better determine with this distance. I have seen players extent their arms, just to be within the 6 feet CGP.
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
I agree with your statement Bob....I believe they are talking about a player holding the ball and then taking two step and shoot.......
[devil's advocate on]
Cool, I got it! So when post player A1 gets the ball on the block, with their back to the basket, pivots on the right foot, and the left foot takes 2 (or, gasp...3 or 4 steps!), while the right foot stays firmly planted to the ground, well, hell, that's a travel! Damn, that left foot took actual rule-book defined "STEPS", by gosh!
[/devil's advocate]

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
In regards to this, they should make it 3 feet. I believe it can be better determine with this distance. I have seen players extent their arms, just to be within the 6 feet CGP.
Extension of arms should have nothing to do with it...

4-10 Closely Guarded.....
"The distance shall be measured from the forward foot/feet of the defender to the forward foot/feet of the ball handler."
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 01:51pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Since we can't agree on my first scenario, I'll just disprove this statement with a completely different example.

4-33: "A pivot takes place when a player who is holding the ball steps once, or more
than once
, in any direction with the same foot while the other foot, called the pivot
foot, is kept at its point of contact with the floor."

That action certainly isn't illegal.
This would not be two steps. It would be one step multiple times.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
This would not be two steps. It would be one step multiple times.
But that's not what the rule says, is it? And what is the definition of "step"? Is it in Rule 4 anywhere? Is it anywhere in Rules 1-10?

I'm not picking on you directly, because in theory we agree. I'm just trying to point out the fallacy of making a statement like the committee did that has no rule basis behind it, and does nothing but confuse the issue more for the "less informed" (read: coaches, players, fans).

Why not stick with the real rule: Travelling is moving a foot or feet beyond the prescribed limits. Know what the pivot foot is, and what can or cannot be done with it. Unfortunately, none of the rule-prescribed limits has anything to do with the "number of steps".

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 02:15pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
But that's not what the rule says, is it? And what is the definition of "step"? Is it in Rule 4 anywhere? Is it anywhere in Rules 1-10?

I'm not picking on you directly, because in theory we agree. I'm just trying to point out the fallacy of making a statement like the committee did that has no rule basis behind it, and does nothing but confuse the issue more for the "less informed" (read: coaches, players, fans).

Why not stick with the real rule: Travelling is moving a foot or feet beyond the prescribed limits. Know what the pivot foot is, and what can or cannot be done with it. Unfortunately, none of the rule-prescribed limits has anything to do with the "number of steps".
This whole thing revolves around the fact that there is no definition of step in the rule book. Therefore, when I say step, I am no longer speaking basketball rules, but plain (sorta) English. When I refer to taking two steps, I refer to a player in control of the ball starting with one or both feet on the floor, then progressing ahead with one foot followed by the other. When that second foot hits the floor, if this player is still holding the ball, this is not a legal play. Period.

The condensed version: Two steps while holding the ball is illegal.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
Extension of arms should have nothing to do with it...

4-10 Closely Guarded.....
"The distance shall be measured from the forward foot/feet of the defender to the forward foot/feet of the ball handler."
Agreed, but I have seen others start a count based on this.
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This whole thing revolves around the fact that there is no definition of step in the rule book. Therefore, when I say step, I am no longer speaking basketball rules, but plain (sorta) English. When I refer to taking two steps, I refer to a player in control of the ball starting with one or both feet on the floor, then progressing ahead with one foot followed by the other. When that second foot hits the floor, if this player is still holding the ball, this is not a legal play. Period.

The condensed version: Two steps while holding the ball is illegal.

So, in plain (sorta) English, what do you say to a coach who wants a travel called on this play: A1 catches the ball in the air, the first foot comes down, followed by the second foot. Perfectly legal play, by rule. However, coach says there were two steps taken (first foot landed, followed by the second foot landing). So, how will you explain the difference between a "landing" and a "step"? How will you explain the first foot landing is a "landing", while the second foot landing is a "step", since both feet were off the ground at the time of the catch? If you consider both feet landing, then the player is allowed a step, correct? Well, it depends. If the first foot is lifted and replaced without passing or shooting (1st step?), that is a travel. If the second foot that landed is lifted and replaced before passing or shooting (1st step?), that is a legal pivot.

Meanwhile your partner has left the floor because you're trying to explain to the coach the difference between steps, landings, non-steps, semi-landings, whatever. None of these terms have anything to do with the actual rule. Your condensed version (and the committee's statement) is simply an incorrect over-simplification that doesn't have anything to do with the rules.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 02:59pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
So, in plain (sorta) English, what do you say to a coach who wants a travel called on this play: A1 catches the ball in the air, the first foot comes down, followed by the second foot. Perfectly legal play, by rule. However, coach says there were two steps taken (first foot landed, followed by the second foot landing).
I say: "No, there were not."

Quote:

So, how will you explain the difference between a "landing" and a "step"?
How will you explain the first foot landing is a "landing", while the second foot landing is a "step", since both feet were off the ground at the time of the catch?
In order to take a step, the player must start with one or both feet on the floor. In the case of a player catching the ball while airborne, obviously he must land before this can take place. Traveling has nothing to do with an airborne player. The illegal part happens after the landing.

Quote:
Your condensed version (and the committee's statement) is simply an incorrect over-simplification that doesn't have anything to do with the rules.
is not

Now you say: Is too!

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Is too.

Quote:
Coach says: "What rule do you base it on?"

Quote:
In order to take a step, the player must start with one or both feet on the floor.
And doesn't every player start with both feet on the floor, at some point? Even His Airness started with his feet on the floor.

In the whole rule on traveling, 4-44, the word "step" is only used once: "If one foot is on the floor, it is a pivot when the other foot touches in a step". So, if that same other foot is lifted and touched "in a step" more than once, it is a travel, correct?

We can do the "is not", "is too" all day. My point is the committee did not do us a favor by making that statement. It is a lot easier to simply use the rule to explain why a play is a travel or not: "The pivot foot was replaced before the pass." "The pivot foot was lifted before the dribble started." There was no pivot foot allowed on that jump-stop." You're on a lot firmer ground quoting actual rules than trying to make stuff up that isn't in the rule book.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 03:49pm
Ch1town

Quote:

Whenever a coach questions a no-call for an alleged travel, I ask the coach "what foot did you have for the pivot." 95% of the time they can't answer that, thus that conversation has come to an end. No need discussing a travel if coach can't identify the pivot.
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 03:56pm
Official & Member

Try this with a wreck coach first:

Quote:
So, in plain (sorta) English, what do you say to a coach who wants a travel called on this play: A1 catches the ball in the air, the first foot comes down, followed by the second foot. Perfectly legal play, by rule. However, coach says there were two steps taken (first foot landed, followed by the second foot landing). So, how will you explain the difference between a "landing" and a "step"? How will you explain the first foot landing is a "landing", while the second foot landing is a "step", since both feet were off the ground at the time of the catch? If you consider both feet landing, then the player is allowed a step, correct? Well, it depends. If the first foot is lifted and replaced without passing or shooting (1st step?), that is a travel. If the second foot that landed is lifted and replaced before passing or shooting (1st step?), that is a legal pivot.

Meanwhile your partner has left the floor because you're trying to explain to the coach the difference between steps, landings, non-steps, semi-landings, whatever. None of these terms have anything to do with the actual rule. Your condensed version (and the committee's statement) is simply an incorrect over-simplification that doesn't have anything to do with the rules.
"Coach, It's not two steps. You can't have a "step" until at least one foot has landed. The first foot was his "landing", the second was a "step". Completely legal."

That would be enough to confuse/infuriate 90% of coaches, so what happens with the next foot that was lifted will go largely unnoticed.
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm now going to sit back and let you champion this cause for me.
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 07:54pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
So, in plain (sorta) English, what do you say to a coach who wants a travel called on this play: A1 catches the ball in the air, the first foot comes down, followed by the second foot. Perfectly legal play, by rule. However, coach says there were two steps taken ........
Quote:

In order to take a step, the player must start with one or both feet on the floor. In the case of a player catching the ball while airborne, obviously he must land before this can take place. Traveling has nothing to do with an airborne player. The illegal part happens after the landing.
Quote:

4-44-2: If both feet are off the floor and the player lands on one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch is the pivot.

It is the pivot when the other foot touches in a step.

Next question

Lonesome Dove